Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Spark Plug Replacement...How often??

Old 09-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
GeoTaco
Warren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura about

Name: Warren
Warren Thompson's Tacoma Gallery
Spark Plug Replacement...How often??

The scheduled maintenance manual and TW posts say plugs should be replaced every 30,000 miles. The manual has a numbered footnote stating " replace irridium tips for emmissions puposes" every 30,000 miles. The service manager at my dealership tells me the OEM's should be good up to 80,000 miles.

WTF??? Anyone have a clear answer here?
Old 09-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
30,000 miles.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
jinxed77 will become famous soon enough
jinxed77's Tacoma Gallery
30,000 on the 06'.If you try to stretch it to 80,000 you will most likely cause damage to the coils.
I just changed mine on my 06'4.0l tacoma and mine were not platinum plugs. Use NGK or Denso plugs.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
change mine every 30k. But I change everything before it "needs" it.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxed77 View Post
30,000 on the 06'.If you try to stretch it to 80,000 you will most likely cause damage to the coils.
I just changed mine on my 06'4.0l tacoma and mine were not platinum plugs. Use NGK or Denso plugs.
I don't believe that to be a true statement; damaging the coils. I changed mine @ 80,000 for the first time & have driven 45,000 since. No problems.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
GeoTaco
Warren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys. I am about 45K miles. I bought my '06 Taco with 40K on it. I am assuming nobody has done any 30K maintenance to it, so I will change the plugs this weekend and replace oil/filter. I will buy OEM plugs (Denso) and OEM filter. For the oil, its Mobil 1.

GenXer, what did your plugs look like after 80K miles?? Just curious...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Won't hurt to change them anyway. It's easy too. Here's an excellent "How To:" http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-1-gr-fe.html
I did it with one hand (no use of the other).
Old 09-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Thompson View Post
Thanks guys. I am about 45K miles. I bought my '06 Taco with 40K on it. I am assuming nobody has done any 30K maintenance to it, so I will change the plugs this weekend and replace oil/filter. I will buy OEM plugs (Denso) and OEM filter. For the oil, its Mobil 1.

GenXer, what did your plugs look like after 80K miles?? Just curious...
They needed replacing. A couple were worn.

I replaced them with NGK irridiums. Advanced auto sells NGK & maybe Denso. Autozone did not. Easy to do yourself. Took me about 30 minutes. Passenger side was a breeze.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:51 AM   #9
jinxed77 will become famous soon enough
jinxed77's Tacoma Gallery
Genxer this is for you, WHY COILS FAIL
Because worn spark plugs and open-circuit spark plug wires force ignition coils to operate at maximum output, neglected ignition system maintenance is the most common cause of modern ignition coil failure. As the spark plug air gap widens due to normal erosion, increased voltage is required to create a spark in the combustion chamber. This increased voltage, in turn, demands more current flow through the coil’s primary circuit. And, this increased primary current flow can overload the ICM’s primary transistor. The increased secondary current created by the ignition coil also can increase to the point that it perforates the secondary circuit in the coil itself. See Photo 2.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
GeoTaco

This makes sense to me. I will replace mine ASAP.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxed77 View Post
Genxer this is for you, WHY COILS FAIL
Because worn spark plugs and open-circuit spark plug wires force ignition coils to operate at maximum output, neglected ignition system maintenance is the most common cause of modern ignition coil failure. As the spark plug air gap widens due to normal erosion, increased voltage is required to create a spark in the combustion chamber. This increased voltage, in turn, demands more current flow through the coil’s primary circuit. And, this increased primary current flow can overload the ICM’s primary transistor. The increased secondary current created by the ignition coil also can increase to the point that it perforates the secondary circuit in the coil itself. See Photo 2.
Link for photo and the rest of the info:
http://www.olyonline.com/new/ICignitioncoil0103.asp
Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #12
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Yikes i need to start thinking bout this i got over 28,000....
Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Yuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant future
Name: Lee
Yuma Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Link for photo and the rest of the info:
http://www.olyonline.com/new/ICignitioncoil0103.asp
Very good read!!! I learned a lot. Thanks for the link.

Yuma Taco,