1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FastSkinz??????

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MRCapps, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sep 8, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    MRCapps

MRCapps [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    So, I was looking into paint colors and MPG and ran across this. It's called Fast Skinz and it is a 'wrap' that goes over your paint job. It has tiny little dimples in it like a golf ball and claims to increase gas mileage up to 20%! Thats a lot but aerodynamics is a key factor in MPGs! Decided that i would see what you guys thought.... BS or not?

2. Sep 8, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Link please?

I have been wondering about this, but not really wanting to take a ball peen hammer to my truck to find out.

3. Sep 8, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    uhhh, golf balls go reallly fast. cars arent so fast like that

4. Sep 8, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
  5. Sep 8, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    they showed this product on daily planet and used a porsche on a test track, showing the results with and without it

definitely was interesting

6. Sep 8, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I can see how this would work.

7. Sep 11, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    ....yet

8. Sep 11, 2009 at 7:19 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    then you're not doing it right :cool:

9. Sep 11, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I don't see how that would work, I rolled a truck once and drove it once the engine was cleaned up but left the body damage. Didn't improve anything! What about all the hail damaged vehicles? Are they getting better MPG?

Ok so those weren't great examples, but I don't see how it would work, maybe I just don't understand. 20% is a lot, normally you can't trust them when they say 10% so should I trust them that much less? Hock its been raining the last few days and I was just thinking.

10. Sep 11, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    sockmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    sounds like the same principle that high speed boats use.

the steps you see on the bottom of boats introduce air between the hull and the water, thus reducing the water drag.

i guess it is doing the same thing

11. Sep 11, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I didn't think of it like that sock. Good point.

12. Sep 11, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    This is what I was thinking. I noticed on my boat, if I wax the hull, my top speed goes down 2 to 3 mph. I pulled the wax off, and its back up to normal. I can understand the theory behind this, and though a truck/car doesnt move at the spped of a golf ball, their frontal area is MUCH larger. Myth busters is going to be doing a test on this to see, but Im not sure if they are going to be able to accuratly make a decision. If my truck ever gets hail damaged, I will leave it, and find out myself. Interesting thing, though.....My Dad always reported better fuel burn rate in his plane AFTER we waxed it... SO....Who knows.

13. Sep 11, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    sockmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    there was an experiment on the old F-16XL, in the mid 90's, that was using a Super Laminar Flow Control Glove (photo link at bottom of page) on the wings that was doing the opposite of the fastskinz concept.

it was creating a vacuum to remove this turbulent air to reduce friction for sustained supersonic flight.

intersting stuff

14. Sep 12, 2009 at 1:13 AM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    yeah, idk! Wont be buying it though until some more research is done..... so, maybe never:)

Products Discussed in

To Top