1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

undercarriage noise question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by what_ever, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Sep 10, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    what_ever

what_ever [OP] Member

Member:
    SF, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    Hi,

Newb (and mechanically challenged) with a 2009 SR5 Crew Cab, 6500 miles.

Last week, the truck started making a popping noise which sounds to be coming from underneath the truck, in the area of the right front wheel, but the noise sometimes seems to travel toward the rear of the vehicle.

Most of my driving is on the freeway, and the noise so far has only occurred on straightaways, at speeds greater than 35 mph. It doesn't happen whilst turning or going over bumps in the road.

It's usually just a single "pop" sound, but sometimes occurs in clusters of three or four.

I've crawled underneath, looking for something loose or obvious, but everything seems to be as it should.

I read some of the posts in this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/46299-strange-popping-noise.html but I'm not sure the advice there would apply, since my noise does not occur while turning.

Any ideas?

2. Sep 10, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    mudflaps bending and coming back into place.

3. Sep 10, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    good call brian, it would be easy to check if thats the issue. Just pop them off for a little drive and see if thats it. Maybe a easy quick fix.

4. Sep 10, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    what_ever

what_ever [OP] Member

Member:
    SF, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    So is this a pretty common problem? And, is there a solution? Better, after-market mudflaps? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks!

5. Sep 10, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    what_ever

what_ever [OP] Member

Member:
    SF, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    Thanks for the tip! I'll try that tonight when I get off work, and post results.

6. Sep 10, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Real fix, hum.......can cut them down or remove them. I would do the cut down first that is unless you plan on running bigger rubber (lift) then remove.
    I had close to the same issue, but I found the the inner fender well wasn't in correctly and the flap made it move a little.

7. Sep 19, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    what_ever

what_ever [OP] Member

Member:
    SF, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    So I finally got around to removing the mudflaps. As soon as I hit the freeway - actually, the onramp - pop-pop-pop-pop in rapid succession.

While I was replacing the mudflaps, I noticed that the right front fender was loose; there was a little bit of wiggle if you grasped it and pulled. So I tightened the three bolts I could find, and no more wiggle.

Back into the vehicle and onto the highway, and...no change. pop! pop-pop-pop! three seconds of blissful silence, and pop-pop.

Any other ideas?

Products Discussed in

To Top