Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4low-trac

Old 09-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
EGtaco is on a distinguished road
EGtaco's Tacoma Gallery
wait i think it disengages when your tires are still slipping in 4lo. Isnt that what the beeping is? The only time it happened was at the pismo dunes and I was stuck so I popped it into 4lo to see what would happen and the tires were spinning and the beeping started.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #22
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGtaco View Post
wait i think it disengages when your tires are still slipping in 4lo. Isnt that what the beeping is? The only time it happened was at the pismo dunes and I was stuck so I popped it into 4lo to see what would happen and the tires were spinning and the beeping started.
That is the VSC cutting in. With 4 LOW TRAC, the VSC still functions. The TRAC function causes the slip light to flash, but no buzzer. If you're stuck and using 4L TRAC to get out, straighten your wheels, and the VSC will stop cutting in.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 AM   #23
Alaska Dude
akwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really nice

Name: chris
akwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to akwagon
Ok, confused now... So Stock 09 Taco. No mods. In 4lo trac will still function with VSC and beep flash at you. Or is the above post referring to the performance of removing the wire mod in 4lo???
Old 09-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #24
EGtaco is on a distinguished road
EGtaco's Tacoma Gallery
i never removed / cut the wire. just plain old stock with no mod to anything.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #25
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwagon View Post
Ok, confused now... So Stock 09 Taco. No mods. In 4lo trac will still function with VSC and beep flash at you. Or is the above post referring to the performance of removing the wire mod in 4lo???
No TRAC or VSC in un-modded truck. Beeping was either 4LOW not engaged, or 4WD fault.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #26
Banned
Anyone else tried this yet?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #27
Alaska Dude
akwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really nice

Name: chris
akwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to akwagon
Anyone else play with this??? Havent had time, going to try this weekend. Should be some snow on the mountains by then. Best place to try out all these electric traction aids...
Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #28
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
I did cut the wire. IT WAS NOT THE FIRST ONE ON TOP! it was the second one below. The first one made abs light and slip light always on. I will try it sometime, I hope it will work. Thank you isthatahemi!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #29
Banned
Sorry for the bad advice on the wire....Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #30
ruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud of

Army:
ruppmeister's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Don't all 2009 and newer 4x4 tacoma's have A-trac? And isnt supposed to work in 4 lo anyway? Or is it an option? I thought I had seen some TRD off road package tacoma's with the A-Trac button beside the 12 volt cig plugs. Like the FJ?
I have the 09' TRD OR and have the A-TRAC button beside the 12v. When used, it is almost like having lockers but provides more ability to steer. I have not experienced any beeping while it is engaged and working either, just FYI.

Only thing I don't get is if the A-TRAC on the Tacos is for just the front or if you don't have the rear locked, if it works for the front and the back??? Anyone?

For those that don't know what this is, check out this video.

http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/demo...n-control.html
Old 10-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #31
Banned
A-TRAC is all 4 wheels in 4L. According to Toyota's own tech manual, it renders the rear locker "almost unnecessary", their words, not mine...
I'm sure the rear locker is better at putting the power to the ground....
Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #32
ruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud of

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatahemi View Post
A-TRAC is all 4 wheels in 4L. According to Toyota's own tech manual, it renders the rear locker "almost unnecessary", their words, not mine...
I'm sure the rear locker is better at putting the power to the ground....
I know that when I have the locker and the A-TRAC engaged I get a lot of binding in the rear. I have not had the locker before so I am not sure if this is normal or if its a result in having both engaged at the same time.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #33
Banned
Toyota's tech manual.....

Effectiveness of A-TRAC
The effectiveness of A-TRAC is as follows:

Off-road drivability that is equivalent to having the center differential locked and limited slip
differentials on both front and rear has been realized.

This function makes the operation of the differential lock switches basically unnecessary to ensure the
ease of driving.

A-TRAC allows for drivability benefits similar to those of locked differentials, while still allowing for
the vehicle to be steered at low speeds, without the binding that would normally be associated with locked

differentials.

But, this is not A-TRAC, this is TRAC in 4L
Old 10-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #34

Army:
What is the major difference between the two really? I thought TRAC is the same as A-TRAC only TRAC is not able to engage in 4lo? Is this correct?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #35
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
So is the 25th pin the top wire or the next one down??? Looking to do this mod in the next day or so but dont want to cut the wrong one and have to solder heat shrink then cut the other one...
Old 10-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #36
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
It is the lower, second yellow wire, I am positive about that, just have done it today. I have tried a bit in a weedy hill just beside my house. It sure seem to work, you just have to give it lots of throttle to get it on. To try it, I stopped with my front right tire on the edge of a medium sized rock, then full throttle in second gear. After analysis of the tracks I have left, the TRAC worked. The feeling when everything gripped was quite cool, with the truck sliding a bit to the right, drifting a little.

The 4LO light flashes all the time, but I don't think it will be a problem since the audible alarm does function when the 4LO won't engage.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #37
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
OK so wrong in so many ways...Here's where i went wrong...This is the reason you dont do things when your tired. Even electrical engineers make electrical mistakes lol. Here is what i did...sorry long post

1. Locate plug
2. cut second wire down
3. try to start engine... yes i forgot to plug 22pin connector back in
4. no start...check engine light...WTF!
5. oh yeah plug back in starts right up
6. Trouble code there and wont go into 4wd just beeps
7. temp connect wire back and restart
8. check engine light on no 4wd
9. cut top wire ABS light check engine light no 4wd...SH!T!!
9. disconnect battery ( should have done in the beginning)
10. solder top wire together
11. disconnect second wire down to try again...connect battery
12. Works great... goes right into 4hi and 4lo but 4lo flashes hmmm maybe it still thinks its in 4 hi and no check engine light. Sweet mission accomplished. Way harder than it should have been haha

If anyone is to do this it SHOULD be:

1. Disconnect battery
2. Unplug connector
3. Snip second wire down
4. Plug in and connect battery...GTG (good to go)

what happened to me is that when i forgot to plug the connector back in and tried to start the truck, the comp threw a trouble code which seemed to have totally dissabled 4wd. Disconnecting the battery reset the comp and cleared the codes. SNIP THE SECONG WIRE DOWN!!! YES it really works.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #38

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
hopefully going to try it out this weekend
Old 10-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #39

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
tried it and it works awesome!! in 4 lo i found a spot that rocked the truck up on two wheels in the air, front right and rear left. My spotter said as soon as the tires were off the ground they stopped spinning but i kept moving right on up the hill. THIS MOD DOES WORK GREAT WITH NO HICCUPS. With the truck in 4lo the 4lo light does blink but when climbing the hill as soon as the wheels were off the ground the "swerving car" light flickered as the truck kept creeping up the rocks.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #40
Banned
Very cool. I thought this was the best mod ever, when I posted it the first time, half a dozen idiots on this site jumped on my throat. The best feeling is getting stuck without it, and hitting the switch and driving out......Someone with a good video camera should post a vid.....