Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4low-trac

Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #561
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomafide View Post
Our trucks don't have a "mechanical" limited slip differential. They use computer controlled braking to brake the wheel that's spinning and shoot some juice to the one that's not. In 4HI we have brake controlled LSD. In 4Low we have nothing. Open dif. We do YWM so we can have that brake controlled LSD in 4Low. Soooo doing YWM and then activating ABS kill sw basically puts it back to factory conditions in 4 Low.

I am not done with this as I too would like to have ABS off and YWM functional. There must be a way, but so far no.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. That makes sense mechanically/electronically.

I wouldn't be as concerned about having ABS kick-in in 4LO esp. since it is needed to make TRAC function, but it would be nice to kill-it in 2HI & 4HI.

I am still going to attempt both mods tonight, but if I have to choose one over the other, it's gonna be YWM for sure.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #563
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

*UPDATE*

So I successfully did the ABS kill mod, and the Yellow-Wire mod.

Thanks to Milowilli for pointing me in the right direction for the ABS kill on a Non-Off-Road VSC enabled Tacoma. Cut the Light Green (same spot as the Blue w/ Yellow Trace) wire, and connect it to a SPST On-Off switch. No grounding necessary EASY!!!

I took some pics, and will incorporate a more detailed description in the thread I started while I was researching how to do both mods (ABS Kill / YWM).

I have to say, it's nice being able to kill the ABS when it's icy out, and I'm sure it will be useful when off-road. We've had freezing fog in the PNW for the last couple days, with temps below freezing. I tested it out on the way to work this morning and I feel a lot safer being able to stop on my own without a computer controlling my brakes.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #564
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey can you also write up how to put it on a switch? (im questioning myself for some reason)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
*UPDATE*

So I successfully did the ABS kill mod, and the Yellow-Wire mod.

Thanks to Milowilli for pointing me in the right direction for the ABS kill on a Non-Off-Road VSC enabled Tacoma. Cut the Light Green (same spot as the Blue w/ Yellow Trace) wire, and connect it to a SPST On-Off switch. No grounding necessary EASY!!!

I took some pics, and will incorporate a more detailed description in the thread I started while I was researching how to do both mods (ABS Kill / YWM).

I have to say, it's nice being able to kill the ABS when it's icy out, and I'm sure it will be useful when off-road. We've had freezing fog in the PNW for the last couple days, with temps below freezing. I tested it out on the way to work this morning and I feel a lot safer being able to stop on my own without a computer controlling my brakes.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #566
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Many thanks to all of you guys that pioneered this mod.

Did it today. Soldered a rocker switch in and left it hanging behind the glove box just in case I have to take it in for warranty service sometime. I figured why not? I don't want any problems with the dealer.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #567
madcatter is on a distinguished road

madcatter's Tacoma Gallery
well today i changed the rear/front diff oil as well as the transfer case oil.while letting the stuff drain(which was pretty clean for 75k)i disconnected the battery and cut the wire.when i started the truck it stalled and i thought piss,started it up again and no problems,i hadda go test it.i went to the steepest hill i have climbed to date,about half way up i started to spin,the diffs started doing their thing and i crept forward then stuck again.held my position with the brake and gave it some gas,letting out the brake,started spinning from wheel to wheel but made it another 2 foot then stupped again.did the brake release with some more throttle and away i went up and over the top,probably coulda went at that pace for another 25 yards lol.love the mod folks,i will video the hill when the sun is upo som,etime
Old 08-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #568
slowmod01 is on a distinguished road
slowmod01's Tacoma Gallery
did this mod on my 13 sport today, but when i put it in 4low the light stays solid and no beeping. is this normal on the 12-13's? No switch, just snipped the wire. 2nd one from top with black tracer
Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #569
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmod01 View Post
did this mod on my 13 sport today, but when i put it in 4low the light stays solid and no beeping. is this normal on the 12-13's? No switch, just snipped the wire. 2nd one from top with black tracer
That should be the right wire. It worked on my '11 Sport.

It isn't necessarily supposed to beep, but the 4LO lamp should blink when engaged.

You can check my write-up too if needed, but it's the same.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post6254361
Old 08-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #570
slowmod01 is on a distinguished road
slowmod01's Tacoma Gallery
well it turns out i did thr second wire from the top, not counting the first one... not sure how i managed that, but nothing some solder and heatshrink tubing couldnt fix. got the right one this time and the 4lo light is flashing
Old 09-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #572
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foihdzas View Post
Pumped your brakes?
???

I know there are capacitors that keep energy, so codes are saved in memory for a while, what's the trick to depleting their energy to erase the codes stored???

Some mechanics at a dealer I worked at would touch the negative and positive cables together when the battery was out,

I was a little hesitant but it worked...
Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #573
mistaare is on a distinguished road
mistaare's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious if anyone has done the YWM and towed, pulled or hauled anything in very poor traction?

Example - pulling someone out of a ditch in the snow or slick mud?

I have a hard time pulling my trailer with firewood up a short, steep, freshly graveled road. I can only (and barely) make it in 4L 2nd gear. I have to floor it, I can feel the wheel spin with the tach running between 3-4 grand and barely make it by the time I get to the top.

Thanks!
:-)
Old 12-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #574
morseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
morseguy's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed
Old 12-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #575
What is the secret to just pulling the second wire out with out cutting it?
Old 12-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #576
morseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmorseguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The purpose of pulling it out is so that you can return the harness to "factory original" condition again by re-inserting that pin.
That way if you have to go to the dealer for warranty work, it won't look tampered with.

If you meant how to actually remove the pin from the connector, I means taking some kind of a small pointed object to depress the barb that keeps the pin in it's place in the connector. I've done this on other electronics, not yet on my Taco yet.

MY QUESTION IS, after the mod and in 4lo, can I turn off the traction control with "swerve switch", should I need to rock the vehicle back and forth?
It was probably covered in earlier posts, but I'm too lazy to go back and look through all of them.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faskev View Post
They are putting a switch to the yellow-black wire in the 4wd ECU so they can turn the mod on and off. If you don't put a switch in you can still switch off the TRAC/VSC by using the VSC switch as you normally would when you are in 2wd or 4hi.

If you refer to (Yes I know this is the wiring diagram for an 06 not an 09)
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/.../h/em01d28.pdf
The transfer shift actuator assembly (The actuator that shifts the transfer case between 2H 4H and 4L) sends it's position information back to the 4WD ECU but it only tells the 4WD ECU whether or not it's in 2HI or 4HI. It doesn't concern itself with with whether it's 4HI or 4Lo it still sends the signal that it's in 4HI even though the actual position of the actuator may be in 4Lo. This is how we can trick the ECU into thinking it's in 4HI so the TRAC system doesn't throttle back engine power because we know that in 4HI the TRAC system doesn't interfere with throttle position. The TRAC system takes over throttle control when the 4WD selector switch on your dash is in the 4LO position and sends that position information to the Engine ECU via the 4wd indicator. It doesn't have to do with whether or not the actuator is actually in the 4Lo or 4Hi position because as I already explained the actuator only tells the ECU it's in 2H or 4H. So by disconnecting this yellow-black wire you are preventing the signal from the 4WD indicator from telling the Engine ECU the tranfer case is in 4L0.

This is my interpretation of how the mod works from analyzing how the 4WD actuator / electronics function and from reviewing the schematics. I'm not an engineer so I definitely don't know all! Anyone who does this mod is doing it at their own risk and shouldn't blame some guy on the internet for telling them to do it if something should go south.

Okay, just answered my question.
I've only had my 011 taco for two weeks now, so when I do the mod, I'll extract the pin from the connector and cover it. It's been a long time since I have had a car with a warranty and don't want any hassle from the dealer!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #578
Morse - yes, that is what I meant, actually removing from the connector. I have a REALLY tiny screw driver and tried once. I will try again!

No one has any experience with the YWM and being loaded down in slick conditions?

Anyone have any experience with this in slick and/or deep snow?
Old 12-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #579
Well I performed the YWM today.
I disconnected the neg. term. on the battery.
I did not want to cut any wires! I've only had my 2011 Access Cab, v6, 6 speed, reg 4wd, sr5 for 4 weeks now.

The hardest part was extracting that pin for the connector. I got it done after about 20 minutes.
I then put heatshrink tubing over the end of that wire, folded it back, hid it inside the harness with the rest of the wires and wrapped elec. tape around it just like the factory used. A toyota tec. would have to be looking real hard to notice the mod. If I am ever questioned, I'll just say, "I bought the truck used from you guys, I don't know what your talking about."
Anyway it worked out just fine. Upon restarting the motor it rand for 2 seconds and then died. I was already aware of this doing the foglight mod.
I played with all of the 4wd and trac. modes and it all worked just as posted. I could not really test it because all off the snow from our two storms has melted. What I really like is the fact that I can still turn off the traction control with the trac switch in 4lo and go back to the factory default.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #580
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I just reached in took off some of the black tape to get to the wire and cut it . Done. No problems