Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4low-trac

Old 10-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #41
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
No switch for me. This works so well i want it on everytime im in 4 lo because does not kick in until you need it anyway.

Yeah i plan on doing a video of it. I forgot my camera today. but i am certain this works because like i said i had 2 wheels in the air and the two wheels in the air, front right and rear left, and they were the only wheels not spinning. Works very well.

Thank You SO much for the suggestion, you saved me probably at least a grand on aftermarket stuff to do the same thing.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #42
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
I meant the VSC switch, but I agree, no reason to shut it off, except to see the capability!
And your very welcome!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #43
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
About the mod and TRAC, Isthatahemi, you said in a earlier post that there is no throttle intervention whit TRAC in 4LO. Are you sure about that from you experiences? I won't be able to test this out before winter, but I had the (maybe wrong) impression that there was a throttle intervention in 4HI. Maybe it was just the wheels gripping getting the RPMs down.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #44
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
About the mod and TRAC, Isthatahemi, you said in a earlier post that there is no throttle intervention whit TRAC in 4LO. Are you sure about that from you experiences? I won't be able to test this out before winter, but I had the (maybe wrong) impression that there was a throttle intervention in 4HI. Maybe it was just the wheels gripping getting the RPMs down.
In 4H, I noticed it feels like throttle intervention, but I am pretty sure it's just the torque being redirected to where the traction is..... I didn't find this at all noticable in 4L.
I have attached a page from Toyota's tech manual, it has a special note at the bottom about this.
Attached Thumbnails
4low-trac-new-picture-2-.png  
Old 10-18-2009, 02:28 AM   #45
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

You rock Isthatahemi. Thanks for the infos. It's'pretty clear that there is no throttle intervention in 4HI (and now in 4LO also). Like you said, it must be distribution of torque that feels that way.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #46
Alaska Dude
akwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really nice

Name: chris
akwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to akwagon
I did it!!!!!!!!!!!! It is the second yellow wire down with the back tracer not the top one. It works just like 4hi does. So you now have choices of trac or no trac just like in 4hi, but now in 4 low. This is a great mod and I have no idea why toyota didnt make the trucks like this in the first place??

This needs to be made a Sticky!!!!!!!!!! 2009 Tacoms 4x4 with no atrac, is what this mod will work on!!! This Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:g oingcrazy:
Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 AM   #47

I agree, STICKY THIS!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #48
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
I agree my little regular cab went through some crazy crap yesterday.
heres a vid...and i didnt even take video of the crazy stuff that i did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9ObOiDd8qk
Old 10-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #49

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
never would have made it up this without the yellow wire mod
Old 10-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #50
Alaska Dude
akwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really niceakwagon is just really nice

akwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Someone make a simple writeup with some pics and what truck this applies to, then sticky it with a link to this thread....
Old 10-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #51

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
This mod applies to 2009/10 non- ATRAC 4x4 tacomas.

Behind the glove box is a computer module with five white plugs.

The top of the top connector there are 2 yellow wires with black tracers. All tyou have to do is:

1. Disconnect the Battery
2. Un-plug the top connector and cut the secong wire down. The second wire is yellow with a thinner tracer than the top wire.
3. Plug the connector back in and reconnect the battery
4. now you have TRAC in 4lo.

The way it works is it tricks your truck into thinking it is still in 4hi. The 4lo light blinks, however it is in 4lo. If the vehicle does not engage in 4lo the Buzzer will still chime.

All the credit on this goes to ISTHATAHEMI for the original post. Im so exstatic about this i decided to take the pics and post them
Old 10-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #52
MassTaco has a spectacular aura aboutMassTaco has a spectacular aura about

MassTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the idea and the great write-up ISTHATAHEMI and Yoytoda!

You have convinced me to do this mod as well. Nice work!

I think the only thing I will do different is add a banana connector at the cut-point, so if I ever decide to sell I can easily re-connect.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #53

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
that would work but if i ever (doubt it) sell my truck ill just solder it back.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #54
Alaska Dude

akwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Sticky please!!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #55

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
As you can see in my pictures i cut the top wire (not it) then repaired and heat shrink like new. the second wire down i cut then used heat shrink to insulate the wire ends
Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #56
Banned
I'm glad that word is getting around. I was so pumped when I first did this. It turns the truck into a beast, even with crap tires! Thanks for posting the pics!
Everyone keep posting your progress!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #57
Alaska Dude

akwagon's Tacoma Gallery
So really tried it out today. Found a dirt hill, put the left front tire up, went up as far as I could (rear tire was lifting and no traction on the front). This was done with the normal 4lo with trac of (toyota default). Just pushed the lil switch to turn trac on (it defaults on in 4lo now, just had turned it off for my little test). I hadnt moved on the hill, I had gone as far as I could as was stuck for going forward. With the trac re enabled on 4lo, gave it some gas, heard some nice grinding and jerking (Trac system) and within a few seconds the truck started to pull forward and climb the hill. I would say this is basically 4wheel traction control in 4lo. But it rocks!!! Not sure if it is quite as aggressive of a system as A-Trac, but close
Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #58

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwagon View Post
So really tried it out today. Found a dirt hill, put the left front tire up, went up as far as I could (rear tire was lifting and no traction on the front). This was done with the normal 4lo with trac of (toyota default). Just pushed the lil switch to turn trac on (it defaults on in 4lo now, just had turned it off for my little test). I hadnt moved on the hill, I had gone as far as I could as was stuck for going forward. With the trac re enabled on 4lo, gave it some gas, heard some nice grinding and jerking (Trac system) and within a few seconds the truck started to pull forward and climb the hill. I would say this is basically 4wheel traction control in 4lo. But it rocks!!! Not sure if it is quite as aggressive of a system as A-Trac, but close
I went off roading with a fj cruiser with ATRAC and we had similar results on the same hill. I slipped a little bit more than he did and i have stock dunlops vs. his BFG a/t kos. With this you just have to rev it a little bit more but not much.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #59
Banned
My truck with A-TRAC is arriving in a few days, I'll let y'all know exactly how they compare!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #60
Alaska Dude

akwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Right on, should snow here in a few weeks (true test)...
Sticky please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!