Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4low-trac

Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #601
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepo View Post
so, let me see if I get it... you just put the switch in the yellow wire? it is open when you put 4low and starts blinking, then you just close the circuit and it stops blinking, while leaving Trac on?

Thanks!!!
i have mine wired like above and if i have it open, the light will still blink (no sound) w/ TRAC on. if closed, it acts like it would if unmodded. if i want to get into 4L TRAC on and i'm already in 4L, i have to get out into 4H, flip the switch, then put back in 4L.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #602
33yrsoftoys will become famous soon enough
Name: joel
33yrsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i have mine wired like above and if i have it open, the light will still blink (no sound) w/ TRAC on. if closed, it acts like it would if unmodded. if i want to get into 4L TRAC on and i'm already in 4L, i have to get out into 4H, flip the switch, then put back in 4L.
I think it must be something to do with the relay in the circuit. It must allow enough current to ground the light without completing the full circuit shutting off trac?
Old 01-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #603
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so, let me see if I get it... you just put the switch in the yellow wire? it is open when you put 4low and starts blinking, then you just close the circuit and it stops blinking, while leaving Trac on?

Thanks!!!
33yrsoftoys and Chepo, yep you got it.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #604
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
^^ Try flipping the switch on and off while still in 4lo. If I kill the engine on mine while in 4lo it automatically resets to the blinking light. I just tap the switch again to set it solid.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #605
33yrsoftoys will become famous soon enough
Name: joel
33yrsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco'09 View Post
^^ Try flipping the switch on and off while still in 4lo. If I kill the engine on mine while in 4lo it automatically resets to the blinking light. I just tap the switch again to set it solid.
If I could, one more question. What relay did you use? I think that might be why it works so well. Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #606
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
33yrsoftoys and Chepo, yep you got it.
Great thank you!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33yrsoftoys View Post
If I could, one more question. What relay did you use? I think that might be why it works so well. Thanks again.
Yup! and if it's not that much trouble, can you help us with a diagram???

Thanks a lot!!!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #607
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33yrsoftoys View Post
Radio Shack #275-0241 (alternate #275-241), SPDT (single pole double throw), 1 amp. Its a tiny relay that I mounted to a small piece of breadboard and wrapped it with a piece of soft foam to keep it from rattling and shorting out something, and then put it behind the switch. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062481

Try to use 20AWG wire if you can find it...just makes it easier to work with and I believe the yellow wire is 20AWG or 22AWG.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #608
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Great thank you!!!!!
Yup! and if it's not that much trouble, can you help us with a diagram???

Thanks a lot!!!!!
^^ I dug out the diagram I made nearly 5 yrs. ago and honestly think there would be some confusion generated by posting it. Namely, at the time I did this I tied both the power for the relay and the light for the switch into that colored spaghetti mess of wires at the rheostat. I works but is the really hard way of doing it. Plus my diagram is pretty cryptic and specific to my '09. IDK it may be better and less confusing for one of you to get the switch and/or the relay and I can post instructions to walk you through it once you have it in hand.

Otherwise, if I get real motivated I would have to redraw the diagram but don't know if 2 different versions would have to be made: one for 2011 models and earlier, and one for 2012+.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #609
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
33yrsoftoys, Chepo and others. Shazaaaaam! Found an error in the parts manuals today. Looks like the only OEM A-Trac switch for Tacos may be 84988-04060 with an amber back light and it is intended to go next to the cigarette lighter. This is the one I got for my '09. Note that Post No. 592 above has now been edited to reflect this.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #610
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
33yrsoftoys, Chepo and others. Shazaaaaam! Found an error in the parts manuals today. Looks like the only OEM A-Trac switch for Tacos may be 84988-04060 with an amber back light and it is intended to go next to the cigarette lighter. This is the one I got for my '09. Note that Post No. 592 above has now been edited to reflect this.

Cool!!!!! Next week I'll order the switch!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #611
mistaare is on a distinguished road
mistaare's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, what are your experiences with the YWM in snow? I did the YWM yesterday and took it out to try in the snow. Four different times I tried starting in VERY limited traction situations and it did NOT get me out. Two times in 8-10" all 4 just dug myself deeper, then had to shovel my way out. Then twice on hard snow packed/icy hills. I would stop in the middle of the hill try to start from a stop. I would either just sit and spin or wheels would spin while I would slide backwards.

I am pretty sure that I did the YWM correctly. When I was stuck in deep snow, the 4Lo light would blink, and I would watch the left rear tire spin, then stop and I could hear the right rear spin and it would go back and forth.

Now, I am assuming my BFG AT's with 4/32's tread left didn't help the situation. I am long overdue for new tires. But that is a subject for another thread. :-)

So, two questions:
1. What are your experiences in snow, either deep or hard packed?
2. I am assuming I did it correct (I have limited mechanical experience)? Since in 4lo I saw the tire spin alternating from side to side. In the past, while I was in 4lo the tires would just spin.

Just for the record. Disconnected battery. Pulled out first white clip of wires. I cut the second yellow wire (with the thin black line), and installed a switch that I attached to the inside of the glove box. My truck is 5+ years old and paid off so I am not worried about dealer and warranty. When I switch it off, the 4lo goes solid and tire just spins.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #612
Nobody has any input in snow or mud? Only when a tire is lifted?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #613
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaare View Post
Nobody has any input in snow or mud? Only when a tire is lifted?
What are you asking about? This thread is about letting all (non-Off Road) 4WD Tacomas have some limited slip traction control in low range, something that Toyota only offers in the OFF ROAD TRD (A-TRAC).
Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #614
crooks420 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
crooks420's Tacoma Gallery
David K,

So I know you have a pretty good handle on all the drive modes; But I am now confused... again. I did the yellow wire mod...

What should be indicated on the dash for each of the various drive modes?

I seem to remember the auto lsd light on when in 4Lo... but it does not come on now.... Then again, I only drive my truck a few times a year, so I may be wrong.

Anyone have a simplified "chart" ?

Jesse
Old 04-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #615
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
What are you asking about? This thread is about letting all (non-Off Road) 4WD Tacomas have some limited slip traction control in low range, something that Toyota only offers in the OFF ROAD TRD (A-TRAC).

I am aware of this. I have been following this thread for a while. I have performed the YWM, but it seems like every video or 'this mod rules' comment stems from peoples experience when a wheel is lifted or on a slick rock type scenario. I may never see either of those, but I will definitely see slick conditions such as snow, ice and slick mud (not deep, just 6-7" of slick stuff). I am just looking for people's feedback with these types of situations pre and post YWM.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #616
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaare View Post
Just curious, what are your experiences with the YWM in snow? I did the YWM yesterday and took it out to try in the snow. Four different times I tried starting in VERY limited traction situations and it did NOT get me out. Two times in 8-10" all 4 just dug myself deeper, then had to shovel my way out. Then twice on hard snow packed/icy hills. I would stop in the middle of the hill try to start from a stop. I would either just sit and spin or wheels would spin while I would slide backwards.

I am pretty sure that I did the YWM correctly. When I was stuck in deep snow, the 4Lo light would blink, and I would watch the left rear tire spin, then stop and I could hear the right rear spin and it would go back and forth.

Now, I am assuming my BFG AT's with 4/32's tread left didn't help the situation. I am long overdue for new tires. But that is a subject for another thread. :-)

So, two questions:
1. What are your experiences in snow, either deep or hard packed?
2. I am assuming I did it correct (I have limited mechanical experience)? Since in 4lo I saw the tire spin alternating from side to side. In the past, while I was in 4lo the tires would just spin.

Just for the record. Disconnected battery. Pulled out first white clip of wires. I cut the second yellow wire (with the thin black line), and installed a switch that I attached to the inside of the glove box. My truck is 5+ years old and paid off so I am not worried about dealer and warranty. When I switch it off, the 4lo goes solid and tire just spins.
sounds like its working to me, other wise you would only have the tire with the least traction spin. new tires will make a big difference.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #617
I got some Cooper St. Maxx's and it's night and day difference. Had them in some mud last week and they just kept moving forward when I know my old BFG would have just sat and spun.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #618
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks420 View Post
David K,

So I know you have a pretty good handle on all the drive modes; But I am now confused... again. I did the yellow wire mod...

What should be indicated on the dash for each of the various drive modes?

I seem to remember the auto lsd light on when in 4Lo... but it does not come on now.... Then again, I only drive my truck a few times a year, so I may be wrong.

Anyone have a simplified "chart" ?

Jesse
Hi Jesse, because I have an Off Road and A-TRAC, I have no need to do this mod. It is for the benefit of all 4WD Tacomas that are not Off Road TRDs. What has been reported in this thread is that the 4Lo light blinks, but there is no buzzer/ beeper when the mod is working in L4 (normally the light is solid and the beeping and blinking means you turned the dial to L4, but forgot to put the tranny in N neutral first)... ie. not engaged.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #619
crooks420 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
crooks420's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Hi Jesse, because I have an Off Road and A-TRAC, I have no need to do this mod. It is for the benefit of all 4WD Tacomas that are not Off Road TRDs. What has been reported in this thread is that the 4Lo light blinks, but there is no buzzer/ beeper when the mod is working in L4 (normally the light is solid and the beeping and blinking means you turned the dial to L4, but forgot to put the tranny in N neutral first)... ie. not engaged.

Cool, I have followed your post (and ensuing drama) on your thread comparing Atrac to Lockers.... I have the blinking 4Lo light,.... I get confused though with all the modes with and without pressing the VSC button. I thought you might have been able to clear that up. I just forget if the AUTO LSD light should come on with the YWM.... indicating that the LSD is activated F & R, as it lights up in 2WD...

Anyone?

Jesse
Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #620

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks420 View Post
Cool, I have followed your post (and ensuing drama) on your thread comparing Atrac to Lockers.... I have the blinking 4Lo light,.... I get confused though with all the modes with and without pressing the VSC button. I thought you might have been able to clear that up. I just forget if the AUTO LSD light should come on with the YWM.... indicating that the LSD is activated F & R, as it lights up in 2WD...

Anyone?

Jesse
Click on the link in my sig to see the details on the VSC button. Here is a brief summary:

Since 2012 standard mode in H2 and H4 is TRAC ON (traction control with engine output regulation). Here is what the VSC button does:

H2:
*Quick Press = AUTO LSD/ TRAC OFF (traction control without regulation, VSC off to 30 mph)
**Stop and hold in button for 3+ seconds = VSC OFF (no traction control or VSC)

H4 (2012+):
*Quick Press = TRAC OFF (traction control without regulation)
**Stop and hold in button for 3+ seconds = VSC OFF (no traction control or VSC)

Press the button again or restart the truck and returns to TRAC ON.

TRAC (light limited slip) and TRAC OFF (strong limited slip) works on all four tires when in 4WD-HI.

There is no TRAC or TRAC OFF in LOW RANGE... that is what this mod does.

[I do not know if in TRAC OFF the VSC goes off in H4 up to 30 mph as it does in H2, as I have a 2010 and there is only the unregulated traction control on it and VSC is on]