Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2004 Fuel Tank Problem

Old 09-17-2006, 04:07 AM   #1
spunky1 is on a distinguished road
spunky1's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2004 Fuel Tank Problem

Hello,

I have a 2004 regular cab, 4 cylinder Tacoma. All of a sudden, I am unable to fill the fuel tank like I used to. When filling, the tank acts like it is full or obstructed. I have to pull the fuel nozzle way out and trickle the gas in or the fuel will back up in the neck and shut off the nozzle. It can take 15 minutes or more to fill from empty. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be?
Old 09-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing I can think of off the top of my head. Get some friends or family and pull the bed off and remove the filler hose and see what is causing it.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
mazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud of

mazutoytaco's Tacoma Gallery
I always thought that the sensor was in the hand pump not the filler hose. But I could be wrong about that.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
spunky1's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible there is a check valve or anti-syphon valve at the inlet to the fuel tank?

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and take the truck back to the dealership.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:51 AM   #5
Tukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud of

Tukohmah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2004 regular cab, 4 cylinder Tacoma. All of a sudden, I am unable to fill the fuel tank like I used to. When filling, the tank acts like it is full or obstructed. I have to pull the fuel nozzle way out and trickle the gas in or the fuel will back up in the neck and shut off the nozzle. It can take 15 minutes or more to fill from empty. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be?
Does it happen eveytime or just the once?

Do you stick the nozzle all the way in? if only half way and you squeeze the trigger full, it'll back flow right back in the nozzle tripping it as full..

When it's empty and you unscrew the gas cap do you here air escaping? gas tank should be pressurized..

Do you have a CEL/MIL ?
Old 09-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
spunky1's Tacoma Gallery
It happens all the time. I have tried sticking the nozzle all the way in, as far out as possible and everywhere in between. I haven't noticed air escaping when I remove the gas cap, but I don't know that for sure. I've owned the truck about 6 months and I could fuel it like any other vehicle prior to this problem.

One day I tried to fuel up and the pump kept shutting off. I blamed the pump and went to another service station, but I had the same result at the next station. I've never seen anything like it. I was hoping to fix it myself, but I have no idea what is wrong so I am going to take it back to the dealership. Of course, this happed when I was 700 miles over 36,000.

What is a CEL/MIL?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
mazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud ofmazutoytaco has much to be proud of

mazutoytaco's Tacoma Gallery
CEL = check engine light
Old 09-20-2006, 02:38 AM   #8
Tukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud ofTukohmah has much to be proud of

Tukohmah's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
What is a CEL/MIL?
Malfunction Indicator Light

Quote:
I have no idea what is wrong so I am going to take it back to the dealership.
Keep us updated.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:29 AM   #9
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
It happens all the time. I have tried sticking the nozzle all the way in, as far out as possible and everywhere in between. I haven't noticed air escaping when I remove the gas cap, but I don't know that for sure. I've owned the truck about 6 months and I could fuel it like any other vehicle prior to this problem.

One day I tried to fuel up and the pump kept shutting off. I blamed the pump and went to another service station, but I had the same result at the next station. I've never seen anything like it. I was hoping to fix it myself, but I have no idea what is wrong so I am going to take it back to the dealership. Of course, this happed when I was 700 miles over 36,000.
Hey Spunky1,

Just ran into this thread now. Too bad you are MIA. You should visit often dude and so should I. It appears you are having a venting problem such as a blocked or kinked vent tube

When you are filling an empty or partially empty vessel, the air occupying the empty portion of the vessel must be evacuated simultaneously or allowed to escape in order for another liquid to occupy the space the air was already occupying. It appears your tank is not venting properly and the air displacement is occurring deep down through your filler port, which is obstructed by the gas nozzle and the new gasoline entering the tank.

The vent nozzle, if I remember this right terminates in and around the gas filler port. Your vent pipes along with excess fuel return should be all clumped together around the sending unit on top of the tank. This is assuming your fuel pump is in the tank. You’ll have to drop the tank and follow the tubes to trouble shoot. If your truck was off roaded and sank in the mud, I would suspect one of the above conditions. Look for any obstruction of a small port around the filler port before you drop the tank since dropping the tank is a pain-in-the-neck kind of job. The vent pipe may even terminate about 2 to 3 inches inside the filler port. It just occured to me, the vent pipe has to terminate within and NOT outside the gas tank containment system or you'll smell fumes all the time and your gas would evaporate causing a safety hazard. It should terminate above the trap door which the gas nozzle pushes down upon entry. If you try to look at the filler port from underneath the truck, you will probably see the vent tube's exit point. See where it terminates and clear the obstructions, if any. Let us know what happens. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
gmd0013 is on a distinguished road
gmd0013's Tacoma Gallery
Any update? I need help - takes me 30 minutes plus to fuel

I have a 05 Tacoma and have the same exact fueling issue. I am so needing help. The check engine light is on and the codes are for the the speedometer and the thermostat, both which appear to be working fine. Anyone have any insight?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:37 AM   #11
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd0013 View Post
I have a 05 Tacoma and have the same exact fueling issue. I am so needing help. The check engine light is on and the codes are for the the speedometer and the thermostat, both which appear to be working fine. Anyone have any insight?
What do the codes say exactly?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
spunky1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd0013 View Post
My slow fueling problem was an obstruction in the tank. Apparently, someone put a sticky tape substance like a packaging tape into my filler neck and it gummed up the works. The dealership cleaned it all out and $180 bucks later I was good to go again.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
tacoma problem is the expose fuel tank..
anyone can open it and put anything in or out of it..
they should have the push button to open the fuel door!!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:01 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing that can cause this problem is if you over fill your tank to much you will have liquid fuel go into the evap system and glog up you evap charcoal canister. the canister is only designed foe fuel vapor not liquids if it gets to soaked the escaping fumes from you empty tank have no place to go and your pump will keep shuting off.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Paulie is on a distinguished road
Name: Paulie
Paulie's Tacoma Gallery
Report this problem to the NHTSA. Tell them it's a safety issue because you could over fill the tank and send fuel to the ground.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #16
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
^^ LOL three years later....
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
xsenegry is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
xsenegry's Tacoma Gallery
Can't fill up fuel tank

I have a 2004 Tacoma that has a filling problem as seen by these other complaints. I have had the vapor canister replaced ($300+), the vent valve replaced ($150+) and still i cannot fill up with a continous flow. It still stops every .10-.15 cents. Now they say I need to replace the fuel tank because it "could be" the rollover valve is not functioning properly. Oh, and they have blown out every tube.