1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap Alternator Repair

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Canuckoma, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Sep 20, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    Canuckoma

Canuckoma [OP] Cunuckoma 98 - 425,000 Miles

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 425,000 miles
    Delo 400 Syn, Plywood Box Sides
    A few weeks ago I was out 4x4ing in the mountains. There are a few very deep mudbogs in the area. It was the first day the area was open for 4x4 trucks so a lot of the bogs were "untested." About the only way to know how deep they were was to throw a rock in and take your best guess. I came across 2 jacked up guys with older Broncos and 44's on them. They were sitting beside this one bog trying to gather up the nerve to go. Given my strong sense of Toyota Pride I had to just blast past them like there was nothing to it. I got in to the middle of the bog, 4 low 2nd gear b*lls to the walls barely moving, a wave of water and mud came right over the hood water level was about a foot higher than my door bottoms. Anyways I made it through! I proceeded to drive through 4 more times just to annoy the Broncos.... on the way home my charge light came on... I guess the Bronco's had the last laugh! Everyone wanted $150 - $200 for an alternator for the 3.4 V6... what a rip off I could find any overhaul kits so I went to the local pick your part. They didn't have any Tacos just older T100's and 4-Runners. The plug in on a 93 T100 looked similar so I took the alternator apart. It cost me $3 for the new brushes and voltage regulator. When I took mine apart I found the voltage regulator plate from the 93 T100 to be different the bolt and screw locations were the same but Toyota had change the casting somewhat. I took out my grinder and ground a small notch oint he 93 T100 Voltage regulator plate and it fit right in... the brushes were the same. So for $3 I had a new voltage regulator and brushes for my 98 Tacoma V6 3.4.... so as long as the plug in is the same you can easily retrofit the alternator parts from the 3.0 litre V6. I have 20,000 miles on my $3 alternator rebuild now with no problems!

2. Sep 20, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    Interesting info. Sounds like you got your money's worth and then some.

3. Sep 22, 2009 at 6:15 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You will have to excuse him. He gets confused with big numbers, especially when dealing with quantities.

4. Sep 22, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    pics or GTFO, tired of hearing ur stories... lets see some proof

Products Discussed in

To Top