Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Cheap Alternator Repair

Old 09-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Cunuckoma 98 - 425,000 Miles
Canuckoma is on a distinguished road
Canuckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap Alternator Repair

A few weeks ago I was out 4x4ing in the mountains. There are a few very deep mudbogs in the area. It was the first day the area was open for 4x4 trucks so a lot of the bogs were "untested." About the only way to know how deep they were was to throw a rock in and take your best guess. I came across 2 jacked up guys with older Broncos and 44's on them. They were sitting beside this one bog trying to gather up the nerve to go. Given my strong sense of Toyota Pride I had to just blast past them like there was nothing to it. I got in to the middle of the bog, 4 low 2nd gear b*lls to the walls barely moving, a wave of water and mud came right over the hood water level was about a foot higher than my door bottoms. Anyways I made it through! I proceeded to drive through 4 more times just to annoy the Broncos.... on the way home my charge light came on... I guess the Bronco's had the last laugh! Everyone wanted $150 - $200 for an alternator for the 3.4 V6... what a rip off I could find any overhaul kits so I went to the local pick your part. They didn't have any Tacos just older T100's and 4-Runners. The plug in on a 93 T100 looked similar so I took the alternator apart. It cost me $3 for the new brushes and voltage regulator. When I took mine apart I found the voltage regulator plate from the 93 T100 to be different the bolt and screw locations were the same but Toyota had change the casting somewhat. I took out my grinder and ground a small notch oint he 93 T100 Voltage regulator plate and it fit right in... the brushes were the same. So for $3 I had a new voltage regulator and brushes for my 98 Tacoma V6 3.4.... so as long as the plug in is the same you can easily retrofit the alternator parts from the 3.0 litre V6. I have 20,000 miles on my $3 alternator rebuild now with no problems!
Old 09-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting info. Sounds like you got your money's worth and then some.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
u put 20k miles on ur truck in a few weeks...............whats a few to you?
You will have to excuse him. He gets confused with big numbers, especially when dealing with quantities.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
pics or GTFO, tired of hearing ur stories... lets see some proof