Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

My 4 Wheel Drive is Messed Up!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
aleok is on a distinguished road
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
My 4 Wheel Drive is Messed Up!

Hi Everyone,
I got my 09 tacoma about 2 months ago. I feel like ever since the day I got it my 4-wheel drive has been acting strange. Whenever I put it in H4, it sometimes flashes and doesn’t want to go in and sometimes it does. The truck really feels different when in H4, it seems to be driving with the brakes lightly pressed. And when I make a slow turn, the truck basically comes to a stop, like the brakes are fully on. While in the turn it won’t even move, unless I give it some serious gas. Anyone know what the problem is?
Thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
SYC TACO
VixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Victor
VixTacom's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to VixTacom
it should be operating normaly. thats the way mine operates in my 99. it'll slow and stop while turning in 4WD unless pressing the gas. however, u have an electronic 4WD i got mechanical meaning i can control my 4WD with a lever that sits right next to the shifter on my truck. take the truck to the dealer for the 4WD not wanting to engage. everthing elses is working fine tho.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the quick reply, why is it like this. the 4wd on my jeep drives like normal...
Old 09-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't sound like a problem to me. That is how it works for me

Woot woot 1,700 posts
Old 09-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
GEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KELLEN
GEARAHOLIC's Tacoma Gallery
normal x3
Old 09-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
toytaco85 is on a distinguished road
toytaco85's Tacoma Gallery
thats how mine feels when 4wd is engaged
Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
ok thanks guys! just seemed strange...
Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
normal driving you shouldn't really feel any difference with it engaged. it will feel different in turns though but shouldnt bog the engine down. unless your at full lock (which you really shouldnt be doing in 4wd anyways) mine engages/disengages without even noticing it while i'm driving straight. you can feel a slight clunk but thats about it.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
If you have 4wd engaged on pavement it will probably be more pronounced (worse). It's not so bad on gravel or dirt and rocks.

Also, driving on pavement with 4wd is not good for the drive train as I believe it puts much more stress on all the parts. Someone can chime in here and tell me if they agree with that.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Terrier is on a distinguished road
Terrier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixTacom View Post
...however, u have an electronic 4WD i got mechanical meaning i can control my 4WD with a lever that sits right next to the shifter on my truck...
I wish I had the stick shift type 4wd instead of electronic. It seems to always engage instantly (had one on an Izusu trooper), unlike my Tacoma which sometimes engages instantly and sometimes flashes before it engages.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
GeoTaco
Warren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura about

Name: Warren
Warren Thompson's Tacoma Gallery
My '06 taco engages into 4 without noticing. Very smooth. I wonder from what you described if there is any fluid in the transfer case or front diff!? If you got it from the dealership, maybe you should check if they put oil in!!! You should not feel a major change in anything when going into 4X4. It should be smooth.