Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

e-locker for 09's

Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
nelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Neil
nelztaco's Tacoma Gallery
e-locker for 09's

I've searched the threads for an answer to this and I haven't found a definitive answer one way or the other yet. My question is can you add the oem toyota locking rear diff to a 2009 tacoma which wasn't originally equipped with one.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
sriley727 will become famous soon enoughsriley727 will become famous soon enough

sriley727's Tacoma Gallery
No, the TRD off road has a different size rear end from the rest of the Yota lineup.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriley727 View Post
No, the TRD off road has a different size rear end from the rest of the Yota lineup.
X2...........It has a larger bolt pattern. You would need to swap the rear end (and add a lot of doo-dads). Or you can go the after market route and install an ARB air-locker (requires on board air) or a powertrax.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
nelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ok thanks. I guess I was just hoping that the wiring was there then swap rear maybe a driveshaft and add a button on the dash. Especially since my lsd got reduced to a non-mechanical system which the trd-or shares.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelztaco View Post
Ok thanks. I guess I was just hoping that the wiring was there then swap rear maybe a driveshaft and add a button on the dash. Especially since my lsd got reduced to a non-mechanical system which the trd-or shares.
That is about all you would need to do (swapping the axle). You would need the harness for the locker also to run it back to the 4x4 ECU.

The aftermarket approach is simpler, quciker, and possibly cheaper. If you were to go the Powertrax route, it is just a simple remove the third member disassemble and install.

The ARB air locker would require the installation of an air-compressor and some hose routing.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Or....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...4low-trac.html

Not a locker, but free, and will probably take you further off road than a single locker....
Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
I think we have a winner!