1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clutch cylinder replacements - anyone already done this?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by JonJeffman, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Sep 23, 2009 at 11:56 PM
    JonJeffman

JonJeffman [OP] New Member

Member:
    North America
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 4x4 V6 Std
    Hey there,
    So my clutch master cylinder is shot on my 98 SR5 4x4, as appears to be a somewhat common problem. I removed both the master and slave to inspect and have a couple questions if there's anyone who's already replaced theirs:

1) Both the master and slave are stamped AISIN. Can anyone else confirm if this is the original part (and therefore no point in paying the dealer top dollar for something I can get elsewhere), or if this has already been replaced by the previous owner. If so are the AISIN parts low quality as this one obviously wore out sooner than I thought (although I have no way of knowing how long it's been installed).

2) Once I have disconnected the master from the pedal, if I push the pedal slightly it springs itself all the way to the floor and stays there. Is this normal? I would have thought that the spring would force the pedal back up.

Thanks

2. Sep 24, 2009 at 12:18 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    Can't really help you, but I know That "Dustin03" just did his a couple of weeks ago. Might want to PM him. IIRC AutoZone has the AISIN part for sale.

3. Sep 24, 2009 at 12:45 AM
    Hi_FIRE_08

Hi_FIRE_08 Who what now?!

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    08 4dr Sport
    When my clutch master cylinder went out on my mr2 while I was driving, that's exactly what happened(clutch gets stuck all the way down).. Had to keep pulling the pedal up from behind till I could get to a place where I could pull over...

4. Sep 24, 2009 at 1:09 AM
    JonJeffman

JonJeffman [OP] New Member

Member:
    North America
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 4x4 V6 Std
    That's what mine has been doing till I took it apart just now, but I figured it was getting stuck to the floor cause maybe fluid leaked behind the piston and built up back-pressure. But I thought once I disconnected the pushrod it would spring up.

I guess tomorrow I'll take a closer look at the spring itself to see if it looks in okay condition.

Products Discussed in

To Top