Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

clutch cylinder replacements - anyone already done this?

Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
JonJeffman is on a distinguished road
JonJeffman's Tacoma Gallery
clutch cylinder replacements - anyone already done this?

Hey there,
So my clutch master cylinder is shot on my 98 SR5 4x4, as appears to be a somewhat common problem. I removed both the master and slave to inspect and have a couple questions if there's anyone who's already replaced theirs:

1) Both the master and slave are stamped AISIN. Can anyone else confirm if this is the original part (and therefore no point in paying the dealer top dollar for something I can get elsewhere), or if this has already been replaced by the previous owner. If so are the AISIN parts low quality as this one obviously wore out sooner than I thought (although I have no way of knowing how long it's been installed).

2) Once I have disconnected the master from the pedal, if I push the pedal slightly it springs itself all the way to the floor and stays there. Is this normal? I would have thought that the spring would force the pedal back up.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Can't really help you, but I know That "Dustin03" just did his a couple of weeks ago. Might want to PM him. IIRC AutoZone has the AISIN part for sale.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:45 AM   #3
Who what now?!
Hi_FIRE_08 is a name known to allHi_FIRE_08 is a name known to allHi_FIRE_08 is a name known to allHi_FIRE_08 is a name known to allHi_FIRE_08 is a name known to allHi_FIRE_08 is a name known to all
Hi_FIRE_08's Tacoma Gallery
When my clutch master cylinder went out on my mr2 while I was driving, that's exactly what happened(clutch gets stuck all the way down).. Had to keep pulling the pedal up from behind till I could get to a place where I could pull over...
Old 09-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
JonJeffman is on a distinguished road
JonJeffman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_FIRE_08 View Post
When my clutch master cylinder went out on my mr2 while I was driving, that's exactly what happened(clutch gets stuck all the way down).. Had to keep pulling the pedal up from behind till I could get to a place where I could pull over...
That's what mine has been doing till I took it apart just now, but I figured it was getting stuck to the floor cause maybe fluid leaked behind the piston and built up back-pressure. But I thought once I disconnected the pushrod it would spring up.

I guess tomorrow I'll take a closer look at the spring itself to see if it looks in okay condition.