Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Popping fuses

Old 09-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
cole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cole
cole47's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cole47
Popping fuses

my truck keeps popping the AUX 15 amp fuse (radio,clock, and outlets) what could be causing this?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Im thinking something is shorting out?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Ya gotta fess up to any and all mods you've done to the truck especially with that circuit. Vague questions will get you vague answers.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
cole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to behold

cole47's Tacoma Gallery
all thats done in the wiring aspect is a subs and amp and aftermarket headunit (professionally installed) and my fogs which is about impossible to screw up...i thought i may have been my GPS in the outlet because i unplugged it and everything stayed working for about 2 or 3 minutes opposed to the second i flip the switch, but now nothing is plugged up, ive taken the fuse out of the amp power wire, and the fog light fuses are out and its still blowing them.....
Old 09-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole47 View Post
all thats done in the wiring aspect is a subs and amp and aftermarket headunit (professionally installed) and my fogs which is about impossible to screw up...i thought i may have been my GPS in the outlet because i unplugged it and everything stayed working for about 2 or 3 minutes opposed to the second i flip the switch, but now nothing is plugged up, ive taken the fuse out of the amp power wire, and the fog light fuses are out and its still blowing them.....
Ok, you've eliminated the amp & fog lights. Something else on that circuit is still doing it. Even though something may have been professionally installed, doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. Also, a wire could be pinched and eventually made contact with ground. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
ugh....chasing wires is a beeotch. good luck man.................sounds like a dead short.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #7

cole47's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the help fellas....no radio sucks balls....
Old 09-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
jinxed77 will become famous soon enough
jinxed77's Tacoma Gallery
Does it blow instantly? Most likely it's the radio incorrectly installed. It happens all the time. Professional install or not. If it were me I would go disconnect all aftermarket accessories completely. One at a time reconnect when it blows the fuse you know which one it is. Thats about all you can do at home without the professional equipment. Go remove the radio unplug the main connector at the radio and see if it still blows. You don't have a body lift do you? Make sure you do not have any access. plugged into the cigarette lighter. Another thing look inside your power port and cigarette lighter makse sure their is nothing metal stuck in their and make sure the contacts are not touching the body of the plug.

NO MATTER WHAT DO NOT PUT A BIGGER FUSE IN!!!!DO NOT JUMP THE FUSE IN ANY WAY!!!DOING SO MAY RESULT IN A MELTED WIRING HARNESS!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #9

cole47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxed77 View Post
Does it blow instantly? Most likely it's the radio incorrectly installed. It happens all the time. Professional install or not. If it were me I would go disconnect all aftermarket accessories completely. One at a time reconnect when it blows the fuse you know which one it is. Thats about all you can do at home without the professional equipment. Go remove the radio unplug the main connector at the radio and see if it still blows. You don't have a body lift do you? Make sure you do not have any access. plugged into the cigarette lighter. Another thing look inside your power port and cigarette lighter makse sure their is nothing metal stuck in their and make sure the contacts are not touching the body of the plug.

NO MATTER WHAT DO NOT PUT A BIGGER FUSE IN!!!!DO NOT JUMP THE FUSE IN ANY WAY!!!DOING SO MAY RESULT IN A MELTED WIRING HARNESS!!!
ive had that radio in for like 2 years and thats the only aftermarket thing hooked up...
Old 09-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #10

cole47's Tacoma Gallery
found the problem....a broken end tip off a phone charger was stuck in the cigarette outlet....thanks for the help guys
Old 09-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
jinxed77 will become famous soon enough
jinxed77's Tacoma Gallery
Ha Ha ,glad you found it. I've ran across pennies and earrings and all kinds of stuff in cigarette lighters.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #12

cole47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxed77 View Post
Ha Ha ,glad you found it. I've ran across pennies and earrings and all kinds of stuff in cigarette lighters.
thanks for your help man
Old 09-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #14

cole47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post

Crank it up!!