Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Oil changes

Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
my coconut is on a distinguished road

Name: rick
my coconut's Tacoma Gallery
Oil changes

I have a 4.0 l tacoma 4x4 . I use mobile 1 synthetic 5w30. I currently change it every 6,000 miles or 6 months. Its my understanding that synthetic oil will last this long. Or should i be changing it at 3,000 or 3 months. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
i do mine every 5k miles, also on mobil 1
Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I change mine (Mobil 1) at between 3000 and 4000 miles. My oil samples have come back showing less than 50% usage, so you will be fine going that distance. Have your oil tested to be sure, as conditions vary.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
JATaco will become famous soon enough
JATaco's Tacoma Gallery
What aboout mobil 1 extend performance? It claims 15k protection.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
no matter what kind of oil you use, its always a good practice to change every 5000 miles. or, for older trucks, every 3000 miles
Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
If you run oil analyses on Mobil 1 (and probably other quality synthetics) you will probably see that the oil is just fine up through 12-15,000 miles. I wouldn't do it under warranty, though.

On my last car I was running 10,000-12,000 mile intervals. My oil analysis at 8,000+ miles showed all contaminants well below limits, oil viscosity was still within normal limits, and additive package was still working fine.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
my coconut is on a distinguished road

Name: rick
my coconut's Tacoma Gallery
oil analisys

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I change mine (Mobil 1) at between 3000 and 4000 miles. My oil samples have come back showing less than 50% usage, so you will be fine going that distance. Have your oil tested to be sure, as conditions vary.

not sure where to send the oil to have it checked
Old 09-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by my coconut View Post
Many places have a "Kit" they send you at no charge. Just follow the instructions, and send it to them. They charge a fee for the test. Check your local phone book, or online. I know Polaris Laboritories does oil samples. If you have a local Caterpillar, or John Deere dealer, they can also do it for you.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by my coconut View Post
Blackstone Labs (google it) will send you a sample kit for free. You send it back with a check (or credit card info) for $22.50 and they send you back your analysis.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Blackstone Labs (google it) will send you a sample kit for free. You send it back with a check (or credit card info) for $22.50 and they send you back your analysis.
BINGO! I was trying to remember them.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
I run Mobil1 and change mine every 5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
I do mine every 15K miles, with Amsoil Synthetic. I'm able to go to 25K, but I just do it at 15K.
Do you use the same oil filter the entire 15k? Or do you swap it out at 5k 10k and again 15k? Or maybe half way 7.5k?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
JATaco will become famous soon enough
JATaco's Tacoma Gallery
So it not worth spending the extra $ for the extended perform mobil 1.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
bubba is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
bubba's Tacoma Gallery
Extended Performance or not the Oil Still gets dirty. If you read the fine print on
Mobil 1 Extended Performance it basically tells you to follow the manufactures
oil change intervals. Toyota recommends 5,000 mile OCI I think that's too long.
I changed the factory fill at 1,089 Miles and plan to change next at 3,000 miles
than every 4,000 after that using Pennzoil Platinum Oil. Yes that's overkill but
Oil is cheap and engines are not. I also plan to run the truck to 500,000 or better
and think that with Toyota's Quality that is easily within reach.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #15

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
Extended Performance or not the Oil Still gets dirty. If you read the fine print on
Mobil 1 Extended Performance it basically tells you to follow the manufactures
oil change intervals. Toyota recommends 5,000 mile OCI I think that's too long.
I changed the factory fill at 1,089 Miles and plan to change next at 3,000 miles
than every 4,000 after that using Pennzoil Platinum Oil. Yes that's overkill but
Oil is cheap and engines are not. I also plan to run the truck to 500,000 or better
and think that with Toyota's Quality that is easily within reach.
I trust the data I get back from oil analysis, which says that (on my last vehicle) at 8,000+ miles the oil was not outside of acceptable limits on any contaminants.

I ran the last 100,000 miles on my previous vehicle using Mobil 1 with extended drain intervals, and the engine is still in excellent shape. There has never been any evidence of abnormal wear, despite me driving it pretty hard.

Mobil 1 says to go with the manufacturer's OCI to stay kosher with the warranty, not because the oil needs to be changed. When Mobil 1 was introduced it was advertised with a 25,000 mile OCI.