Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Smokers Revenge

Old 01-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
SWA7381 is on a distinguished road
SWA7381's Tacoma Gallery
Smokers Revenge

My son purchased a Toyota that was a smokers for 80k. He believed the dealers comment that it would disapate over time. He learned a valuable lesson about car dealers and I'm trying to find the best way to remove the smoke smell you get when you first open the door. Any Ideas???
Thanks In Advance,
Tim
ps this Toyota has no cabin air filter (01Solara)
Old 01-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
I hate that damn smell...interested to see what solutions are posted.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
SWA7381 is on a distinguished road
SWA7381's Tacoma Gallery
I have tried baking soda/cedar chips etc anything to absorb it. My next step is the steam cleaner but I'm afraid to touch the hedliner..... He bought this car with Moms help and when I came home from work it was too late to burst his bubble... kids
Old 01-09-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I had friends in High School that used Febreeze to "mask" the odor so their parents wouldn't find out. The biggest problem you run into IS the headliner. It is usually a very absorbant material and traps odors quite well.

You may want to contact a local detail shop and ask them what they recommend. It can be done, but it isn't going t be easy.

Best of Luck to you and yours (and your mission). Cheers!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWA7381 View Post
... purchased a Toyota that was a smokers for 80K. .... a way to remove the smoke smell.... Any Ideas???
Rent an “Ozone Generator” and run it for about an hour inside the truck and repeat a few more time if needed. Good bye smoke smell. Eat Steak!

PS. If you are in the Toronto area, I'll lend you one.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 AM   #6
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaster View Post
Rent an “Ozone Generator” ...
That is a new one to me. What is it? What does it do?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
What is it? What does it do?
Hope this helps. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_generator
Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
I dub thee malicious!

That definitely explains what it does, which makes sense as the name suggests.

I wonder what other applications this would have and how effective it is...

Thanks for answer to my question!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
Dave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Retired LE
Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaster View Post
Rent an “Ozone Generator” and run it for about an hour inside the truck and repeat a few more time if needed. Good bye smoke smell. Eat Steak!
Here's a link to build your own: http://www.onlinepot.org/grow/ozone.htm

Note: I do not condone the use of the main page except for err, medical use.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
kngharley is on a distinguished road

kngharley's Tacoma Gallery
If you use the Ozone Generator, Make sure you run the vent in the cab to get all of the air circulated otherwise it will still be in the ducts.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
kwe1560 is on a distinguished road
kwe1560's Tacoma Gallery
My Dad used to soak a rag in paint thinner, wring it out. Then let dry and wrap in aluminum foil, leaving a little opening. Place it under the passenger seat.this makes really works, and beleive it or not it actually makes the interior smell like it did when it was brand new. I have a 13 year old Civic(sorry, not fond of Toyota cars) and have been doing it for years, Everyone always tells me how the interior smells like a new car. I also wiped most of the dash down with armor-all(light coat)
Just be careful with the paint thinner, Also heard that this is done at used car lots many times!!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
Born to Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwe1560 View Post
I have a 13 year old Civic(sorry, not fond of Toyota cars)
The older Civic's rule! I had 3 in the 90's, modified and all. They rock, a pleasure to drive and easy to work on.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
kwe1560 is on a distinguished road
kwe1560's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, everyone wants to buy it. I brought it back from Germany, had a few modifications done(car made in Canada). Hade a few European specs, changed over, Best car I ever owned, paid off since 2000.Still runs like a champ.Smokers Revenge-civic-ky8.jpg
Old 02-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
Born to Ride

Here is another product to mask or neutralize cigarette smoke smell. Its called Ban-O. If you are unable to source it in the US for whatever reason, I will make a few containers (200ml) available to select TW members, free of charge. You pay for shipping in the US and arrange for pickup in Toronto, Canada. You are responsible for customs etc etc. 200 ml of concentrate will make 2 liters of masking agent when mixed with 10 parts of water. If interested, please PM me.

Follow this link for MSDS: http://www.ffgeneralsupply.com/msds/fullerbrush/j80.pdf
Old 07-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Seabees 27th Battalion
Name: Bill
Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
sunruner19's Tacoma Gallery
The ionizer is about the only thing that will get rid of the smoker thing. We used it on my truck when I traded it in at the dealership. One main thing here that I will pass on to all of you who do use it...............after its run for a few hours, open the door and get away from the truck for a few minutes. If you stand by or go inside the truck after this has run, you will get one helluva head rush followed by a nice headache. Just let it air out by itself for a few minutes.
There is a warning on the ionizer about this.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #16
Born Again Member
lostatsea346 is on a distinguished road
lostatsea346's Tacoma Gallery
ozium works well....but also you can buy commercial grade smoke odor eliminator at home depot for 2 bucks