1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rusted Frame 1999 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by J Eastman, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Jan 8, 2007 at 7:43 PM
    J Eastman

J Eastman [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 1999 TOYOTA TACOMA EXCAB 4 W/D 96K ODOMETER READING, and the frame is rusted through and will not pass inspection till I had it welded.The hole was big enough I could put my entire hand inside the frame.Toyota said there was nothing they could do about it.Ive had 5 Toyotas, 3 Camreys and 2 Tacoma EXCAB 4 W/D.This will be my last Toyota product. Anyone out there have a simular problem with thier frame, not just 1999 but other years around 1999.

2. Jan 8, 2007 at 8:53 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Where do you live? Better question who owned the truck before you and did they live in a harsh enviroment?

A little more history on the truck might help us help you!

3. Jan 9, 2007 at 6:45 AM
    J Eastman

Member:
    I live in Maine and I bought the truck with 3k 0n it from the same Toyota dealer who says the can't do anything for me. Sure would appear the frame should out last the fenders,even here in Maine there are many old trucks around that have solid frames and duct tape fenders!!!!!!!!!It just bothers me to buy a "SOLID PRODUCT WITH A GOOD REPRETATION "and have it go away so fast.Like I said Ive had 5 other Toyotas and was very pleased with them, but am very unhappy with this turn of quality.This is without a doubt a safety issue, if your frame breaks going down the road you are pretty much in trouble.
    Hey thanks for the reply,I was stationed in Whidbey Island in 1967,beautiful country.

4. Jan 9, 2007 at 7:27 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I am curious if the previous owner did any modifications to it, repainted the undercoat for some reason, or wrecked it and didn't report it...

Sounds like some one isn't giving you the whole story. They either don't know or they are trying to cover their rears.
    :(

5. Jan 9, 2007 at 8:37 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    This is a very unusual condition. If you can post or email some pictures, I will get a corrosion experts opinion for you. Is the entire frame rusting out or is the hole in just one location? It appears there may be some “galvanic action” taking place based on the size of hole you have mentioned.

Furthermore, if your vehicle was mostly parked on soft ground vs. hard ground (concrete, asphalt or interlocking stone) the corrosion rates are highly accelerated and can destroy the under carriage of a vehicle in a few years. However, it won’t put such a big hole in your frame unless of course you have nuclear powered :hungry: termites assuming it’s a Japanese buffet.

6. Jan 9, 2007 at 4:40 PM
    J Eastman

Member:
    Inside face of frame passengers side,just where the frame goes up to go over the rear axel is where the hole was,and at the bottom of the frame just where it starts to go up on the passengers side is soft and the drivers side in the same place is soft.Think of it as a hill, the hole is half way up the hill and the soft part is at the bottom.
    Kept in garage, on concret floor. Inspection of the frame appears to be rusting back near the area discribed and further back, this frame is put together in section at the factory. Forward of the area discribed there is some flaking rust now.
    The Galvonic action would be caused by discimular metal on the Galvonic Scale, this is all steel to steel as far as I can tell.Would be great to attach a Sacraficial Anoide, block of zinc like on a ship, and correct the problem but I feel it is beyond that now. There was no powder or what I have experienced with Galvonic action, just good old brown flaking crumbling metal,as the science teacher says, "reverting back to its natural state"
    Dont know what it is except, broken and Reverting back to it's natural state,, fast :{Appreciate any/all suggestion/help from all,

7. Jan 12, 2007 at 5:12 AM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    when i go looking at an old toyota 4x4, first place i look at is where the rear leave spring joins the frame. this was a common rust out point.
    There are a few possible causes as to why this happened especially up in the new england area. First is that possibly the previous owner lived near the ocean with heavy salt air concentrations. I lived on the south shore of Ma. and this was a common problem along with electrical problems.
    Second, i have no clue as to whether they use salt on the roads up there, but, the worst thing to do is put a car in a heated garage during the winter months. The heat will accelerate salt corrosion on metal.
    The other thing i noticed is that on some trucks that have had the frame undercoated. They will rust out from the inside out alot quicker.

So the question is, did they use salt on the road, and did you keep it in a heated garage, as a possible reason as to why this happened on a truck that isnt that old.

8. Jan 12, 2007 at 8:28 AM
    J Eastman

Member:
    You got it, right where the leaf spring is welded to the frame only on the side in that area, not on the bottom as you might think. It isnt on the weld itself but up on the side on the face of the frame. I dont keep it in a heated garage, and yes Maine salts/liquid calcium clorides/sands the road for about 5 months of the year.I would still hope that the frame outlasted the 100k tune up!!!!!!!!!!I hate to think it looks good all over,just dont move it for fear the wheels will come out from under it.I think part of the problem is the frame is boxed in, not like the old trucks that had enough metal in the frame it wasnt necessary to box them.There are holes,3/4,1/2", on the sides of all places, to let the water/salt/sand in but none on the bottom to let it out,not a very good set up.The new Tacoma doesnt have the frame boxed like the older ones, wonder if someone figured it out?

9. Nov 4, 2007 at 4:07 AM
    bp97LX

bp97LX Member

Member:
    Wurtsboro, New York
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma LX Xtra cab V6
    I have a 97 Tacoma lx V6 extended cab 4x4 that I bought new, it has 125,000 miles and the frame looks like swiss cheese. But the rest of the truck is near perfect, No rust anywhere except for the frame. This truck was bought and spent its life in upstate New York, and I always took care of it. It make my sick! I plan on repairing the frame, I haven't decided which way i'm going yet. Either get a used clip or fabricate new frame rails and weld them into the front section.

10. Nov 30, 2007 at 9:28 PM
    Scotts1w

Scotts1w New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5, 4WD
    J Eastman, you have it right. I've got a 99' Extra Cab, 4wd, 4cyl, 5 speed manual. I could not believe my eyes! I've owned a lot of American made cars and had a special respect for Toyota, until today! I live in Ohio with salt but I've never seen a frame on an Big three vehicle d[FONT=&quot]isintegrate[/FONT] like this! No damage history, 150k, I wash it every few weeks. No "galvonic" action, just plain old horrendous processes on the part of the manufacturer. IDIO*TS! There is nothing here that we are leaving out. Toyota really scruwed up the process of priming and coating these frames. The bottom of my driver's side rail is rusted through for about 4' feet right in the center! The weep hole was not plugged. It's so bad I will have to haul it to a dealer to get the bad news. The frame is close to breaking . 007Tacoma or Master, nothing unusual here just poor prep and coating/painting.
    bp97LX has it right too, my body has a couple of paint chips on the hood that have been there since 2003. The paint is gone, I can see primer; I've seen primer or steel for 4 years and it hasn't rusted. This frame thing is just terrible. I don't believe this is unusual. Just unnoticed.

11. Dec 1, 2007 at 3:14 AM
    bp97LX

bp97LX Member

Member:
    Wurtsboro, New York
    Vehicle:
    I decided to replace The rear clip on my truck, I found a frame in Maryland. This frame was almost rust free, just a little surface rust. I couldn't believe it. After it's installed I plan on painting it with por-15, Hopefully it won't rust out again..

12. Dec 1, 2007 at 8:31 AM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    I used to live up in Rock Hill, not far from you. I came across your thread here and wanted to throw some more info for you. There is a company called eastwood that does supply the por 15 that you mentioned. However, they also supply a product that is better than the por 15. Take a look at their site, and compare the two.

The one problem that killed all my toyota trucks was not rust, but something called Tourist season. Its at its worst about the time the Hasidic 500 and the snow birds arrive from Florida. There is NO cure, except to escape Sullivan County, which I did.

13. Dec 2, 2007 at 12:13 PM
    bp97LX

bp97LX Member

Member:
    Wurtsboro, New York
    Vehicle:
    I'm familiar with Eastwood company, I've used their products when I restored my 1969 camaro. Two weeks ago I spayed the bottom of my father in laws 1965 GTO with Por 15 top coat. I was really impressed with the results, after it dried to looked like OEM paint. I thought about going with Eastwood's Products but I haven't decided yet.

I had to laugh when you mentioned the Hasidic 500, I stay away from 17 on Friday nights. I only lived in Sullivan for just over a year, before that it was Orange Co. I not sure which is worse...lol............

14. Jan 13, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    I owned 1985 SR5, the frame rotted out over the rigth rear wheel, my 92 4runner was going. I believ the rail freme on the new ones will help. I live in Nova Scotia, lots of salt and salt air...lololo

15. Jan 13, 2008 at 5:43 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I know you're upset, I would be too. I can't help but ask, no major problems with the other Toyotas ? As the others have said, maybe the previous owner abused it. Once it passed inspection, I would sell it, but I would get another Taco, all in all, I ; among thousands of others feel that the Taco is the best truck on the road. 1 out of 5 are pretty good odds, I wish I had those odds in some of the situations I have encountered. Best of luck.

16. Jan 15, 2008 at 6:08 PM
    TacoSteelerMan

TacoSteelerMan Active Member

Member:
    Arkport N.Y.
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Toyo,Taco, with 263,000
    dry K&N cold air kit BONE STOCK
    I have a 95 Tacoma with 263,000 frame is in excelent condition I live in upstate New York,all inner fenders are it tact and by weekly washes is what I attribute this to. I do have a little rust over the rear tire on the fender.Never garage stored but out in the elements daily I bought this truck at 50,000 So I am sorry for your luck..

17. May 14, 2008 at 1:11 PM
    us271934

us271934 New Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner V6 Auto
    I just found out that the 1995 - 2000 Tacomas are part of an extended warranty program (15 yr) for the rusted-at-the-springs syndrome. It was announced Mar '08. I'm taking my 99 Prerunner in this Saturday. If it fails Toyota is preferring to buy the truck to get it off the market. I got this info while complaining to Toyota HQ about the trailer light converter that failed after 1 1/2 years that was ironically the subject of another TSB event. There is info throughout the Web.

18. May 20, 2008 at 9:44 PM
    Bubba-Jet

Bubba-Jet Active Member

Member:
    Wyano PA.
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4 Sport
    Removed Secondary Air Filter,Tacomaworld Sticker,Wade In-Channel wind deflectors,Fumoto 12mm.F103N Engine Oil Drain Valve,Home Cast Bed Tie-downs
    I was at my dealer this week for some warranty work and they have 100 of them rusted out frame Tacoma's settin in the lot with "Do Not Sell " and Property of Toyota" stickers . Couldn't help but to take a stroll and see what I have to look forward to,the frames I saw , Scary Stuff !

19. May 25, 2008 at 5:23 PM
    bigbruce

bigbruce New Member

Member:
    I bought a 1996 Tacoma off my brother who lives in Va beach... I driven it here in Cleve Oh for two years now...(where they salt road heavy every winter)...so far.....no frame rust yet...how do I keep it that way...without moving in with my brother in VA beach. .ps I knew someone was going to say that... thanks

20. Jun 18, 2008 at 8:07 AM
    jdrichmond@aol.com

jdrichmond@aol.com New Member

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma, 99 Sport Ed. 4-runner
    DON'T CRUSH IT YET! I just got a notice that Toyota has extented the warranty on my 1998 Tacoma to 15 years rust through on the frame.

Products Discussed in

To Top