Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

swapping rear 3rd member difficulty.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
swapping rear 3rd member difficulty.

how hard is it to swap out the 3rd?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Not hard. Welll....not THAT hard. Maybe a 3 on the 10 scale of difficulty.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Not hard. Welll....not THAT hard. Maybe a 3 on the 10 scale of difficulty.

ok say there was this really retarted guy and lets say he wanted to change out his 3rd member. pretend he had a socket set and 10 fingers. Do you thing this "hypothetical" retarded guy could manage?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
ok say there was this really retarted guy and lets say he wanted to change out his 3rd member. pretend he had a socket set and 10 fingers. Do you thing this "hypothetical" retarded guy could manage?
Are we talking "Wear a helmet" retarded, or the occasional paste eater?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
Rock Solid Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Are we talking "Wear a helmet" retarded, or the occasional paste eater?

hmm, lets go with frequent paste eating and occasional window licking
Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
hmm, lets go with frequent paste eating and occasional window licking
Im gonna say its "Medium" difficulty then. Depending on the frequency of paste eating and licking of windows.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Rock Solid Toy

k so who wants to help me? i will feed you beer and steaks
Old 10-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
k so who wants to help me? i will feed you beer and steaks
Keep in mind....its a good idea to have the beer AFTER the swap...the addition of beer during an install/swap multiplies the difficulty exponentialy.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
motoretro has a spectacular aura aboutmotoretro has a spectacular aura about
motoretro's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking whole rear end or just center section(pig)? I believe manual states brakes to be removed to get axles out to remove center section.....

A bit of work although if you're reasonably decent with wrenches and take one step at a time, not too bad.

Beer and Pizza after though......

Motoretro
Old 05-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
taco_man is just really nicetaco_man is just really nicetaco_man is just really nicetaco_man is just really nice
Name: Austin
taco_man's Tacoma Gallery
do i need to take the drum off to get the axles out? remove the brake line from the drum? take the axle out completely???
Old 05-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco_man View Post
do i need to take the drum off to get the axles out? remove the brake line from the drum? take the axle out completely???
In theory you dont need to take drum off but it is better to remove weight so your seal does not get damage , you dont need to take axle completely out just a inch and half out so you may have to loosen mounts on brake lines to get more slack
Old 05-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
If my memory serves me correctly the design requires the brake shoe assembly to be removed to allow clearance for axle to be removed. So yes the drum needs to be removed 1st, then brake assembly and lastly the axle, at least far enough to get pig out, as BlueT mentioned.

Motoretro
Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
taco_man is just really nicetaco_man is just really nicetaco_man is just really nicetaco_man is just really nice
Angry

okay so i spent all day trying to get the drum brakes off finding out that i dont even need to take them off to get the axle. boy what a waste of time. well after i got the axle pulled took about 45 minutes to put the new 3rd member back in and tires back on. day well spent... :
Old 05-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
Taco man,
Sorry if I led you astray although 05-06 SM states in order to remove Differential you need to remove Drums & Brake assemblies....What's your secret on getting the axles out w/o doing the whole dis-assembly?? I'm working on 2WD 5 lugger, are you doing the same?

Motoretro

Quote:
okay so i spent all day trying to get the drum brakes off finding out that i dont even need to take them off to get the axle. boy what a waste of time. well after i got the axle pulled took about 45 minutes to put the new 3rd member back in and tires back on. day well spent... :
Old 05-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
no i was on a 6 lug. i just undid the 4 bolts on the hub assembly and pulled the axle straight out.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
blackbox will become famous soon enoughblackbox will become famous soon enough
blackbox's Tacoma Gallery
Ordinarily I have no trouble keeping up with acronyms and idioms, but can someone tell me what exactly is a "3rd member"? I have seen this in many posts but I haven't been able to figure out what it is from the context. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #17
That's great tip, I double checked the SM and even a w/ 6 lug, they call for brake drum & assembly removal so you saved yourself a lot of time. Any issues with the o-rings between the flange & housing? You still had to bleed brakes, right?

Beers on me!

Motoretro

Quote:
no i was on a 6 lug. i just undid the 4 bolts on the hub assembly and pulled the axle straight out.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
Ordinarily I have no trouble keeping up with acronyms and idioms, but can someone tell me what exactly is a "3rd member"? I have seen this in many posts but I haven't been able to figure out what it is from the context. Thanks in advance.
The part of the diff that connects the drive shaft to the axles.

edit: disregard the arrow.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #19
no i didnt have to bleed the brakes. i just undid the 4 nuts that are on the back side of the drum. i also undid the abs 10mm bolt that is right next to the 4 nuts. unscrew the brake lines clips from the outside of the axle the pull your axle out a few inches then undo the third member and yank the bioch out and there you go!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 PM   #20
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no i didnt have to bleed the brakes. i just undid the 4 nuts that are on the back side of the drum. i also undid the abs 10mm bolt that is right next to the 4 nuts. unscrew the brake lines clips from the outside of the axle the pull your axle out a few inches then undo the third member and yank the bioch out and there you go!
So you got truetrac ??