Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Greasing Entire Drive Shaft U-Joints (5 Zerks Total)

Old 11-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #21
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Just to make it clear, this is a 1st generation driveshaft.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #22
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester156 View Post
did mine this weekend also, not sure what was in the gun, but it was grease .
also changed all the oils, some looked good, others like the front diff.... not so pretty
Not all greases are compatible -- I believe that the recommended grease is a lithium complex.

in some cases mixing may cause a problem. To solve problem pump enough to flush grease. run for a few days -- let it mix around and re--grease.

Aluminum complexes offer excellent water resistance -- use a EP grease. Moly is ok as long as its below 3% and its from a quality manufacturer as they will use ultrafine moly. all others are to be avoided.

see link

sorry link button not working

http://www.mindconnection.com/librar...easecompat.htm
Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #23
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
wait, so is it 5 or 6 zerks?

From the pictures, it looks like there's 6, but I only see 5 listed.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #25
aww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to behold
aww1970's Tacoma Gallery
To make this job simple buy a grease gun with a hose attachment.

5 mins and it is finished!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #26
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
can one of you upload a pic of what this grease gun hose attachment nozzle looks like? I got a new grease gun and I think I'm missing something...

and I guess you put the nozzle in the zerks and pump? that's it right?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #28
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

AHHH!!! I knew I was missing something... is that coupler thingy!!

does it lock right in the zerk?!?!?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #29
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the coupler attaches to the zerk. The coupler is adjustable. It is designed that way to fit the variety of zerks that one would encounter.

Here is a close up view of it all in action.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #30

I dont know about u hippies, but everytime I tried to do something on the bottom of my truck... the zerks never faces down... it always up on top

today I did the 3 zerks in the back... using mobil 1 grease, I pump it until the black just comes out a bit and that's it...

the front driver shaft sure giving me hard time, it's a in bad spot, I need to jack the whole truck in order to get to it, it seems like.
do I really need to do the front since I use it that much?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #31
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
linkfeeney, You can rotate the front drive shaft by hand if the 4WD actuator is not engaged. I was able to do mine because I parked the truck over a depression and then crawled under the truck and had lots of room to work with.

If I were you I'd still lube the front regardless of how often you use.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
linkfeeney, You can rotate the front drive shaft by hand if the 4WD actuator is not engaged. I was able to do mine because I parked the truck over a depression and then crawled under the truck and had lots of room to work with.

If I were you I'd still lube the front regardless of how often you use.
I can rotate what?!?! I never knew that... i guess I can do it for the front too... but so hard to get my hand in there to get the coupler in and take it out...
Old 03-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #33
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
I can rotate what?!?! I never knew that... i guess I can do it for the front too... but so hard to get my hand in there to get the coupler in and take it out...
lol.

For me, the 1 on the very front was easy to get to.

#2 zerk was at an awkward spot for me. I wonder if there's a good reason they changed the zerk locations compared to the rear.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #34
Drogers is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
How many grease fittings are there in total for a reg cab's drive shaft?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #35
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
subd, nice work, buddy was talking about doing this
Old 05-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #36

ok I finally for the chance to grease the front drive shaft...
but I can only do the front in!!
i can't reach my hand or shove the coupler into the zerk on the back of it...

anyone got any ideas???
Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #37
dbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to behold
dbarn's Tacoma Gallery
The number 2 zerk is a a lot easier if you remove the protective plate. 2 12 mm bolts from the bottom. You then have much easier access.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn View Post
The number 2 zerk is a a lot easier if you remove the protective plate. 2 12 mm bolts from the bottom. You then have much easier access.
I have to remove the plate?! man what a pain... I wish I have a lift like the garage have... so much easier to do it!!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #39
strongwxnc is on a distinguished road

strongwxnc's Tacoma Gallery
Just got under the truck to grease the zerks. I found 6. First time I have them myself. The one near the tranny was dirty dirty with grease thrown underneath the truck. The back end took about 6 pumps to fill.
Great thread!!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #40

well people... I did it! I able to fit the coupler into the rear front drive shaft!!
2 pumps that all it needs!!! Man it was a pain in the ass, I wish I had a lift!!!