Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Greasing Entire Drive Shaft U-Joints (5 Zerks Total)

Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #41
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Just did mine today. I only have 5 zerks also. No double cardon joint on mine (access cab). I'm still stumped as to why there's no slip yoke zerks. I've got rubber boots covering my slip joints....but still....??

I'm baffled by the 'thrust bushing' thing also. I called two different dealerships and they couldn't give me any information. I'm wondering if this is someting in the axle shafts? I could be barking up the wrong tree, but I'm determined to find out exactly what this is - whether its a misprint in the manual or what.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #42
TryingTacoma is on a distinguished road
TryingTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Less grease may be better

Great thread.

One thought. Many years ago a motorcycle dealer suggested that pumping grease into a Zerk until it comes out of the seal in fact opens the fitting to easy water/salt entry.

Assuming the seal is good, and the joint was properly greased at the factory, then a half shot of grease should be enough to keep the joints full and in contact with the grease.

I got 100,000 Km on a motorcycle wheel bearings and 190,000Km on a 1958 Chevrolet suspension with no problems and no excess grease. Especially nice not to have to periodically clean the grease from the motorcycle brake drums.

Anyone else tried this?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #43
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
I just greased the zerks again. The three U-joints on the rear shaft took 3 full pumps of grease, on the fourth pump, the seal became displaced so I stopped. This was 5000 miles between greasing.

The front two u-joints are much smaller and have a different lighter grade of grease in them. The seals went instantly when I began pumping, I just kept at it and pumped until the new grease came out the seals. Cleaned it up with some paper towels. It took 30 minutes and I saved $90.00 from the stealers pocket.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #44
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingTacoma View Post
Great thread.

One thought. Many years ago a motorcycle dealer suggested that pumping grease into a Zerk until it comes out of the seal in fact opens the fitting to easy water/salt entry.

Assuming the seal is good, and the joint was properly greased at the factory, then a half shot of grease should be enough to keep the joints full and in contact with the grease.

I got 100,000 Km on a motorcycle wheel bearings and 190,000Km on a 1958 Chevrolet suspension with no problems and no excess grease. Especially nice not to have to periodically clean the grease from the motorcycle brake drums.

Anyone else tried this?
That's really nice but motorcycles don't pull 6500 lbs of trailer plus 4000lbs of truck like the Taco does, all hanging on needle bearings around two spider stubs barely 3/4" dia.

If I'm towing like that, I'll make sure all the dirty grease is pushed out and do it frequently... so what if the shaft tunnel is coated with old grease...it just gives less area for rust to start!

I think his point is valid for things like ball joints and tie rod joints when they had zerks: filling them till the bellows burst was not a good idea and irked me no end when they did it during service.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #45
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor View Post
Thank you, that is what I needed to know!

I have been reading up on grease as well before posting, it is a much more complex topic than I had ever imagined. Also I have found some contradicting statements about using moly fortified grease and I think I will stay away from that for now unless someone convinces me otherwise.

This weekend I ordered 2 tubes of grease from AMSOil. One tube of Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2 and a tube of Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #1. They should both be here by tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you both for replying.
I use Amsoil Heavy Duty #2 Grease on the whole driveshaft no problems at 120k miles on truck and helps eliminate the axle wrap clunk also for me.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #46
Selimos is on a distinguished road
Name: George
Selimos's Tacoma Gallery
Great write ups! makes it super easy to follow
Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #47
T0y0ta05 is on a distinguished road

T0y0ta05's Tacoma Gallery
Nice thread...you can grab the NLGI #2 grease, gun and coupler all at Walmart.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #49
southpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to behold
southpier's Tacoma Gallery
is there a company which manufactures both moly & lithium greases?

Mobil 1 is lithium, but their tech support indicates that there is no moly grease in the Mobil line.

LPS Laboratories has ThermaPlex CS Moly #70814 & ThermaPlex Multi-purpose #70614.

would the LPS brand be satisfactory?

thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #50
vantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nice
vantaco's Tacoma Gallery
not sure why the write up only states 5/6 zerks? there are 8 on the 4x4 trucks
Old 07-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #51
Retired?
gatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
gatlin69's Tacoma Gallery
great write up I was just going to ask what a "Zerk" was...lol...mechanic I am not.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #52
Eurosport has a spectacular aura aboutEurosport has a spectacular aura about
Eurosport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantaco View Post
maybe double cabs it's 8, access cab there's 5
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #53
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
In case anyone reading this has trouble greasing the front zerks - I always did - the solution is to use a small one hand grease gun. You can easily push coupling on to the zerks. I always had a hard time getting coupling to lock on with the larger two handed gun - the grease always shot out around the zerk instead of going in it.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #54
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantaco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurosport View Post
maybe double cabs it's 8, access cab there's 5
No vantaco is wrong if he is referring to 2nd Gen. There is only 5 zerks on 4x4. There are (3) on the rear drive shaft and (2) on the front. It does not matter if its access or double cab.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #55
Revjled is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
Revjled's Tacoma Gallery
Appreciate this thread - made the work quick and easy.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #56
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Time for me to get some grease cause I doubt Toyota Care is doing it. I have to go in for 15k service (last one) and I'll ask about it.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #57
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Taco View Post
Time for me to get some grease cause I doubt Toyota Care is doing it. I have to go in for 15k service (last one) and I'll ask about it.
I do mine at every oil change. The first time I DIY water came out of the seals not grease - that's a clue they weren't done
Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #58
Ben550 is on a distinguished road

Ben550's Tacoma Gallery
"In case anyone reading this has trouble greasing the front zerks - I always did - the solution is to use a small one hand grease gun. You can easily push coupling on to the zerks. I always had a hard time getting coupling to lock on with the larger two handed gun - the grease always shot out around the zerk instead of going in it."

for the life of me i can not get the attachment to lock onto the zerks on the front two... how did you do it? are you using an attachment that does not lock?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #60
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
Is this hard to do? I'm getting that brake surge. You you when you brake, stop, and a second later that little thud. It's been doing that to me every once in a while.