Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Greasing Entire Drive Shaft U-Joints (5 Zerks Total)

Old 10-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
Slinging parts since '03
The Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Parts Whore's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Greasing Entire Drive Shaft U-Joints (6 Zerks Total)

I saw this thread posted on TTORA and thought it'd be a good time to check up on the drive shaft u-joints.

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143086

On a nice Sunday morning...with the football games on, cold beers, wrenching with your better half = priceless. I also received an early xmas gifts with new suspension (leafs, shocks, and coils...buh bye King) setup to install so today is a good day.

*Write up on that will be posted later when I'm not lazy.

I tried to take clear pics of where the zerks are so hopefully it'll make it easier for you to find/identify.

You'll need:

1.) grease gun
2.) your favorite grease
3.) rags
4.) brake cleaner
5.) flashlight (maybe)

Grease gun:

Front of drive shaft (near tranny)

Mid joints...there are 3 zerks, the third one is a bit hidden.

And last two (near the axle)

Once again, be sure to clean the zerks before apply the grease. You should be able to see the old grease coming out in dark color. It should be the same for all 95-04 Tacoma Xtra-Cab & DC but don't quote me on it. Take this write-up with a grain of salt, trash it or use it for all I care.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
HELP! I cant find zerks 2,3,&4 , i think the factory screwed up !!

Just kidding , i got a reg cab.

Thanks for the reminder though, i have the grease and need to check it b4 my elk hunt.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Nice writeup....but I think you forgot one of them.

It's in the last picture..... and to the right on the 'ear' near the base of the shaft - that's probably for the slip yoke. Always wondered where that one was. Never went and looked for it on my own truck.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
scrapedface is a splendid one to beholdscrapedface is a splendid one to beholdscrapedface is a splendid one to beholdscrapedface is a splendid one to beholdscrapedface is a splendid one to beholdscrapedface is a splendid one to beholdscrapedface is a splendid one to behold
Coast Guard: ME
scrapedface's Tacoma Gallery
grease didn't seem like it was going in on the forward part of both the front and rear propeller shafts. the grease was spewing out of the connection between the gun and the zerk. it was going in fine on both rear parts of the propeller shafts. is that normal?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapedface View Post
grease didn't seem like it was going in on the forward part of both the front and rear propeller shafts. the grease was spewing out of the connection between the gun and the zerk. it was going in fine on both rear parts of the propeller shafts. is that normal?
It probably wasn't completely attached to the zerk.

Anyone else have pics/descriptions of any other grease zerks (like stock UCAs)?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Igor is on a distinguished road
Name: Igor
Igor's Tacoma Gallery
2008 Tacoma 4x4 - Zerks

I have a 2008 tacoma double cab long bed with 4x4. According to the maintenance recommendation it is time for me to grease the "propeller" shaft (drive shaft). My manual reads the following:
Front drive shaft thrust bushings

Synthetic oil and lithium soap base chassis grease, NLGI No. 1
Propeller Shafts

Spiders
Lithium base chassis grease, NLGI No. 2
Slide yokes

Lithium base chassis grease, NLGI No. 2 or Molybdenum-disulfide lithium base chassis grease, NLGI No.2

How to the zerks I have found on the drive shaft correspond to the descriptions above? I found a total of 5 zerks along the drive shaft in the following locations (please see the attached PDF for pictures). Starting at the front there is a small shaft which corresponds to the front wheel drive case for 4x4. On each end there is 1 zerk so 2 total, these zerks are hidden and hard to see but there is 1 good picture in the PDF. Do these correspond to the " Front drive shaft thrust bushings" description in the manual?

Next there is the rear drive shaft ("propeller shaft") which has 3 zerks on it, 2 on each far end and 1 in the middle. Do the zerks on each far end of the entire drive line shaft correspond to the Spiders and the one in the middle to the slide yoke?

I just want to make sure I use the correct grease for each location and that there is nothing I am missing in this procedure (hidden zerks or something else I need to lube).

Thank you in advance to anyone that can verify my assumptions above!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2008 Tacoma Zerk Locations.pdf (1.30 MB, 2653 views)
Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Terrier is on a distinguished road
Terrier's Tacoma Gallery
Igor, I am not sure, but in the photos above, I think they are all "spiders". I am certain someone else will chime in with a more certain response to your questions.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Igor, According to Drew02a, the two zerks on the font drive shaft are indeed the "front drive shaft thrust bushings." Strange huh?

Please allow me to digress on the subject of grease.

I don't think it matters that much if you use NLGI Grade #1 on the front. I would use NLGI Grade #2 all the way around.

Today I looked at synthetic grease products from Mobile One and Valvoline. Both of their product offerings are NLGI Grade 2. Both appear to be very high quality. I was unsuccessful in finding NLGI Grade 1 grease on either of their websites.

I did manage to find some NLGI #1 from AMSOIL

I also managed to give myself an education in Grease. There is a wonderful article on Grease titled: Grease: don't let the details slip through your fingers By Bruce McCallum (1998)

Here is a great quote from the article:

Quote:
What do the NLGI Grade numbers mean?

NLGI stands for the (American) National Lubrication Grease Institute, which classifies greases according to their degree of hardness or consistency. Greases commonly used in heavy equipment have an NLGI #1 or #2 rating. NLGI #2 greases are most commonly used for grease-gun applications. If you see a grease that says EP2, it simply means that is an NLGI #2 grease with EP (extreme pressure) additives. NLGI #1 greases are less hard and more fluid than NLGI #2 greases. For that reason, they are widely used in machines that have centralized lubrication systems.

NLGI #1 greases are also sometimes used as a more fluid winter alternative to NLGI #2 greases in grease guns. In actual fact, the viscosity of the lubricating oil in NLGI #1 and #2 is often the same. Less thickening soap is used in NLGI #1 greases.

The NLGI Service Classification System classifies grease relative to quality and type of application. The letters CA, GB and GC refer to mild duty, moderate duty and severe duty classifications, respectively, in wheel bearings. The letters LA and LB refer to chassis lubrication. LA is for greases intended for mild-duty frequent lubrication. LB is for higher quality greases intended for severe service in chassis, meaning high loads, exposure to water washout and infrequent lubrication. So if you see a tube of grease with the letters GC-LB on the tube, it means that grease has been approved for severe duty in both bearings (GC) and chassis (LB) and it can be considered a premium quality multi-purpose grease. It is unlikely that the cheapest greases could achieve the GC or LB ratings.

Grease: don't let the details slip through your fingers By Bruce McCallum (1998)

Old 11-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Igor is on a distinguished road
Name: Igor
Igor's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you, that is what I needed to know!

I have been reading up on grease as well before posting, it is a much more complex topic than I had ever imagined. Also I have found some contradicting statements about using moly fortified grease and I think I will stay away from that for now unless someone convinces me otherwise.

This weekend I ordered 2 tubes of grease from AMSOil. One tube of Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2 and a tube of Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #1. They should both be here by tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you both for replying.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know if I should grease the shaft myself or not... is not easy to get to it... boy I sure wish I had a vehicle lifting device thingy... ... if I do... Should the MOBIL 1 Synethic grease will do just find right?
Old 11-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
rscecil007 will become famous soon enoughrscecil007 will become famous soon enough
rscecil007's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine yesterday for the first time using M1 grease and a grease gun I bought at Lowe's. Super easy to do. Go for it!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:11 AM   #12
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
I did mine yesterday for the first time using M1 grease and a grease gun I bought at Lowe's. Super easy to do. Go for it!
I guess u got the Mobil 1 grease? what color are they? so I put the hose thing onto the zerks and that's all I have to do?? Pump the grease in until it comes out? where's the old grease will be coming out from? I guess I have to see it in person to see how it goes so I wont have these many questions...
Old 11-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #13
rscecil007 will become famous soon enoughrscecil007 will become famous soon enough
rscecil007's Tacoma Gallery
The grease or the can? Grease is pinkish, can is silver I think. Yup, just put the coupler on the end of the hose on the zerk, and give it 4 or 5 good pumps. The old grease will be forced out of the seals.

and yes, it will make more sense when you do it.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #14
jester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jester156's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jester156
did mine this weekend also, not sure what was in the gun, but it was grease .
also changed all the oils, some looked good, others like the front diff.... not so pretty
Old 11-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
Bobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
I dont know if I should grease the shaft myself or not... is not easy to get to it...
hmmm so many jokes...
Old 11-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #16
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Must refrain...........walk away.........don't say it...........
Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
The grease or the can? Grease is pinkish, can is silver I think. Yup, just put the coupler on the end of the hose on the zerk, and give it 4 or 5 good pumps. The old grease will be forced out of the seals.

and yes, it will make more sense when you do it.
so I guess the new grease will replace it...
man I wish i can see it in person, I'm a hands on training kinda guy..
Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
so I guess the new grease will replace it...
man I wish i can see it in person, I'm a hands on training kinda guy..
is the mobil 1 grease is made of silicone? can i use it as brake grease also?
thanks!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by huyissuperman View Post
Can someone update the first post to reflect the zerk #6 bubble?

If you do a quote & preview, there's another bubble showing Zerk #6, but for some reason - it's not updating on the page.

This is weird....cuz one minute I can see it, and the next time I look at it, I can't. Or is it just me?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #20
Slinging parts since '03
The Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Parts Whore's Tacoma Gallery
I did update it and it shows #6 for me.

Maybe try Ctrl + F5 to force a refresh.