Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

'96 Honda Accord Issues

Old 10-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
'96 Honda Accord Issues

Helping a friend with her '96 Accord V6... could use some advice on whats up and how to fix it...

Firstly, The car will start only if I jump it, but will only run for about 30 seconds before shutting off. I know it has gasoline in it. Won't start without the jumper. I use a jump starter and not cables on my truck so it still is getting power from the jumper when i try to run the car... the battery is gone and I know this but the car should run after being jumped.

Also, the transmission is going. You have to take your foot off the gas peddle to get the gears to shift when driving. Otherwise it will not shift and revs pretty damn high while driving normally.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
car would only keep running after being jumped if the alternator is good
Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Her problem is she doesn't own a tacoma

Sounds like fuel pump and alternator may be dead, with a the tranny going soon. Tranmissions are expensive, and 13 year old cars are cheap. I was in a simillar situation (bad fuel pump / tranny) and I just decided to donate the car as fixing it didn't make sence when comparred to the value of the car. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
TBAGRR is on a distinguished road

TBAGRR's Tacoma Gallery
first thing is disconnect the positive and negative cable and hook it up to the jump box to completely bypass the battery in the car, (if the battery has a bad cell sometimes it can cause the car to die) however the car dieing could also be a ignition coil, i have seen many of these gone bad in these, other than that i havent seen any trans problems in these so..... not sure there, also if the car has less than 150k miles on it honda had a recall on the ignition system and most check engine components, just thought i would throw it out there for you
Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The car is not worth much of anything... It's got a 236K miles... We just need to get it running well enough to transport her to work when I'm in school for the time being. I'm hoping to get her into something else around the end of the year.

How difficult/expensive is it to fix an ignition coil?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The ignition coil is easy. FIRST, you should replace the battery, and throw a multi meter on the Alt.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #8

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Went to jump it again today, absolutely nothing happens when I turn the key. However when I hook up the jump starter i do get the key in the ignition ding...
Old 10-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a bad ALT. You should have a little ver 13V or greater at the battery when the car is running. Anything under that won't charge the battery.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
TBAGRR is on a distinguished road

TBAGRR's Tacoma Gallery
first start with the battery then go on to the other stuff, however the alt should put out around 14.4v however the coil is easy, its under the distributor, if you do replace it there is a spacer under bolt hole of the coil so make sure you dont lose them