Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

ac compressor help

Old 10-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
luvsoffroading
tacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: rich
tacomarich's Tacoma Gallery
ac compressor help

ac compressor wont engage with amber ac light button engaged but fresh air and circulate levels, appear to run at normal temps. i checked the 7.5vlt amp fuse and replaced it with a 10amp, no change. put 7.5 back and same issue. im thinking its either the belt or the compressor ground or it ceased under load. heard it grind a few times, when engaging. had 37k miles at that time but has been quite since.

only 41k miles now and would think these compressors last? how many have had similar problems with their compressors? im thinking maybe i kicked some dirt up in the compressor and it ceased. i might try pressure washing around those areas. anyone hear if they have a safety cut off to prevent it from ceasing under any stress loads?
Old 10-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If its out of refridgerant it wont engauge.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
luvsoffroading
tacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If its out of refridgerant it wont engauge.
sweet. cool man, where do i check for the refridgerant levels and is this something i can do myself? or go get an ac tune or have it covered under warranty? btw i read your post and vid post on that cabin air filter replacement diy and it worked great!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomarich View Post
sweet. cool man, where do i check for the refridgerant levels and it this something i can easliy do out go get an ac tune or have it covered under warranty?
Not sure if its covered under warranty. You can get "Do it Yourself" stuff at Walmart, but if you lost refrigerant, odds are, you have a leak someplace. I dont know much about AC stuff, so I would take it into a shop.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
"The Fuzz"
shook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really nice

Name: Joe
shook0002's Tacoma Gallery
If you heard a grind while engaging, I'd be willing to bet the clutch is bad.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
kooltacos is on a distinguished road
Name: John
kooltacos's Tacoma Gallery
you should not have any issues with your ac compressor at 41k. The only time I see mechanical issues is on vehicles with well over 200K. That's on Toyota trucks anyway. There are exceptions like if you run your truck through a mud hole everyday, that could be bad for a lot of things.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
luvsoffroading

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook0002 View Post
If you heard a grind while engaging, I'd be willing to bet the clutch is bad.
the clutch on the compressor or the clutch on my transmission?
Old 10-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
luvsoffroading

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooltacos View Post
you should not have any issues with your ac compressor at 41k. The only time I see mechanical issues is on vehicles with well over 200K. That's on Toyota trucks anyway. There are exceptions like if you run your truck through a mud hole everyday, that could be bad for a lot of things.
well had to floor it out of this small ditch and got out in 4lo locked but if i was running my air i reved the engine a few times and burnt the clutch trying to get out.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomarich View Post
the clutch on the compressor or the clutch on my transmission?
Clutch on the compressor. It is what engages and disengages the compressor.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
"The Fuzz"
shook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really nice

Name: Joe
shook0002's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, clutch on the compressor. If you off road it you may have gotten water and some sand in there.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
luvsoffroading

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook0002 View Post
Yes, clutch on the compressor. If you off road it you may have gotten water and some sand in there.
im thinking maybe thats what happened. not seeing too much dirt in there though but i think ill pressure wash the inside engine area and the under carriage and check before i take it into warranty services