1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Synthetic/non-synthetic gear oil

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jmazur, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Oct 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM
    jmazur

jmazur [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5
    I was recently considering changing the front and rear diff fluid as well as the transfer case. I called two dealers to inquire about purchasing Toyota gear oil, but neither sold it. One dealer told me specifically not to use synthetic and that any 75w90 would be fine. The other dealer told me that I could use either. This dealer also said they don't even use Toyota gear oil but rather Mopar synthetic should they perform the services. I don't know if it matters, but I have an 04 SR5 2.7 with 100,000 miles and have never changed any of these fluids. Any insights would be appreciated.

2. Oct 28, 2009 at 6:17 AM
    IamJorgeEdward

IamJorgeEdward Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorge Edward
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    Completely stock
    I had the same problem until I called my local Pep Boys and Auto Zone, they both said it would be listed in the owners manual. I cant recalled what kind it said to use but I do know that it does not matter whether you use either its just your preference.

3. Oct 28, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You can use synthetic....nothing wrong with it. I used Mobile 1 75W-90 in my 96 Tacoma. The Tacoma had about 70K miles on it when I changed and I had that truck until it had 110k miles and wheeled the snot out of it. Never had any problems.

4. Jan 11, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    I have read on this forum several times, that if you have the limited slip rear differential--Using any kind of synthetic gear oil is all bad. I have routinely used conventional 75w-90 (just to be safe) in the rear with an lsd additive and have had no problems with the clutch plates slipping or chattering. I'd love to switch to a synthetic if there was one out there that was known to work well with the lsd. Just too many bad reports from people using the synthetic. If anyone has found a synth. that works well in this lsd, please let us know. :confused:

Oh ya, BUMP for this old thread! :D

5. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Not full syn, But I used $6 a qt Valvoline Dura blend 80w-90 in my LSD for two changes, no LSD additive either. Works great, no slip or chatter.

6. Jan 14, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    EGtaco

EGtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    the toyota dealerships I usually go to only uses pennzoil products for the diff and trans cases.

7. Jan 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    I switched to Royal Purple about 2 years ago. I emailed Royal Purple for oil recommendations before doing so. It seems to help with a bit more power once warmed up but in low temps (35F and lower), shifting can be a bit notchy for a few miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top