Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Traction Bar Mod

Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
Auto is on a distinguished road
Auto's Tacoma Gallery
Traction Bar Mod

I was reading the cheap and free mod section of the forum board and i read how you can mount a help spring backwards to act as a traction bar. Does this limit or take away from the articulation of the rear axle.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
GeoTaco
Warren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura about

Name: Warren
Warren Thompson's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod using a Superior helper spring. Costs $30. It does not seem to change articulation. It just stiffens up the springs and decreased axle wrap. It is well worth it, IMO.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I did this as well, it really does help, at least when launching. My truck before it would kind of stutter step when accelerating from a stop, I always thought it was just the engine (4 cylinder) but with the helpers on it's just a smooth launch now. I don't do a lot of offroading though, so I don't know what it's total effect would be but just looking at the setup it doesn't seem like it'll interfere with anything.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Auto is on a distinguished road
Auto's Tacoma Gallery
I put a set on me truck i am going to take it out this weekend and see if it changes it much.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I've had these cheap "traction bars" on now for about 2 weeks, and I like them, but would like to have somebody explain a characteristic I've noticed with these. When going around corners in slick conditions (rain) it's easier now for me to spin the back wheels and kick the rear end out (fishtail). That never happened before the traction mod. It's not bad, it's just going to take a bit of changing my driving style, but just curious as to why?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I've had these cheap "traction bars" on now for about 2 weeks, and I like them, but would like to have somebody explain a characteristic I've noticed with these. When going around corners in slick conditions (rain) it's easier now for me to spin the back wheels and kick the rear end out (fishtail). That never happened before the traction mod. It's not bad, it's just going to take a bit of changing my driving style, but just curious as to why?
if it's stiffening the rear, then the weight would be centered, rather than transferring to your outside wheel, therefore you would have less traction to your outside wheel and the back end would slide easier. i noticed it with just getting my 5100's on too.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Mytoyo2
mytoyo2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Frank
mytoyo2's Tacoma Gallery
just wanted to know more about installing the helper springs which hole is best 4 the supplied rivets