Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Neutral Gear Faster Than Drive Gear

Old 11-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Neutral Gear Faster Than Drive Gear

How come when I shift into N it is faster than D. This is of course letting go of the gas pedal and it's neither downhill or uphill. Is that a problem or is it suppose to be like that?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
How come when I shift into N it is faster than D. This is of course letting go of the gas pedal and it's neither downhill or uphill. Is that a problem or is it suppose to be like that?
Yes it is fine. Why are you putting it into N anyway?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Yes it is fine. Why are you putting it into N anyway?
Let's say if I was coming to a red light, I would want to make it there without stepping on the gas. I figure it would sort preserve the gas. And also because I don't know how to drive a manual and it seems kind of cool.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Let's say if I was coming to a red light, I would want to make it there without stepping on the gas. I figure it would sort preserve the gas. And also because I don't know how to drive a manual and it seems kind of cool.
Not really good thing to do to an auto tranny.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
how come chris?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Never seen Forest Gump

tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Not really good thing to do to an auto tranny.

Yeah I know that. Shifting into N wouldn't be a problem, right? But would it be any different if I come to a complete stop before I shift it back into drive?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Well, you can do whatever you want, but I don't really think It will save a lot of gas. Plus in some states it is illegal to shift into neutral gear when on the road but this is more for the big trucks more than anything.
Some other people on this site do the same thing, but I don't think it is worth it.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
The coolant is pumped via the engine being in gear. Put it into N and the pump stops working, aka toasted engine/tranny.

It slows down cause the engine has a bit of engine retardation.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
how come chris?
Quote:
Yeah I know that. Shifting into N wouldn't be a problem, right? But would it be any different if I come to a complete stop before I shift it back into drive?
Coasting with an auto tranny in Neutral can overheat the tranny. The engine drives the oil pump for the tranny, and by putting it in neutral, your cutting the oil supply to it, while its still being driven by the motion of the vehicle. Your better off leaving it in Drive when driving. Repetedly doing this could cause tranny to burn up.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
Never seen Forest Gump

tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Holy crap! Thanks guys! I love this forum.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
so what about manuals coasting in neutral? does the pump keep going?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman427 View Post
since this is on the subject of gears... on my prerunner what is 4 3 2 L exactly used for i hear a lot of different things but never got a straight answer... and by the way i like this thread...
Used for manually shifting gears. 4 is 1 thru 4, 3 is 1 thru 3, etc. D is 1 thru 5.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
KR FAB
sandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Amir
sandman427's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Used for manually shifting gears. 4 is 1 thru 4, 3 is 1 thru 3, etc. D is 1 thru 5.
is there a general purpose used for them..?? I.E offroad, towing, uphill..?? or is just like the trip-tronic or whatever it is were its more useless than anything else..?? thanks for the info chris...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #15

Quote:
since this is on the subject of gears... on my prerunner what is 4 3 2 L exactly used for i hear a lot of different things but never got a straight answer... and by the way i like this thread...
They are used for going uphill or off roading. It will put the tranny into a lower gear, which will make it easier to go up the hill, giving the truck more torque.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #16

Quote:
is there a general purpose used for them..?? I.E offroad, towing, uphill..?? or is just like the trip-tronic or whatever it is were its more useless than anything else..?? thanks for the info chris...
I dont know....I shift manually when off road, or want more engine breaking. Somtimes when taking off quickly, I shift manually. Or when towing......
Old 11-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #17
copernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the rough

copernicus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Engine breaking.

(I think)
Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
otter is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
otter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
so what about manuals coasting in neutral? does the pump keep going?
There is no pump in manual transmissions (at least not in ones I've seen.) Fluid is moved around by the rotation of the gears/shafts.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
They are used for going uphill or off roading. It will put the tranny into a lower gear, which will make it easier to go up the hill, giving the truck more torque.
Doesnt give any more torque...Just allows it to stay in the selected gear.