1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wire question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by kidthatsirish, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Feb 15, 2008 at 8:14 AM
    kidthatsirish

kidthatsirish [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma access cab base 2.7L 4x4 5speed manual
    Awesome CB setup, TRD leaf springs, matching camper shell...more to come some day.
    Ok, so I am doing a CB install into the new cubby provided by the single din install dash kit from taco tunes....I am using the cig. liter on the drivers side as my power source to tap in. I got it out have spliced into the wires and am ready to connect. However it seems I am unfamiliar with Toyotas wiring.

Question: Am I correct in thinking that the solid green wire is the Power wire, and that the white wire with the black strip is the negative wire? (I would hate to get that backwards as I do not have a fuse on both sides of my CB (I only have one on the power side).

Whatever happened to red and black eh?

2. Feb 15, 2008 at 9:15 AM
    colttsi

colttsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    There's only one way to find out. Use o voltmeter, connect one end to the ground and with the other, try each wire until you have 12v.
    Red and black only works on battery wires, in certain cars there is over 10km of wire routed everywhere in the car so they can't only have two colors eh!
    Have fun!

3. Feb 15, 2008 at 10:43 AM
    Motorkopf

Motorkopf Conservative

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 2.7 Manual
    3" Toytec lift, Susp TSB, Detroit True Trac, Carr side steps.
    I've been planning on doing the same thing. What type of cb are you using and how does it fit? Can you post a picture?

4. Feb 15, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    kidthatsirish

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Awesome CB setup, TRD leaf springs, matching camper shell...more to come some day.
    I will post a picture when I get the chance, its just a small CB from radioshack, 40 channels, volume, squelch, and a selector switch for channels 9 and 19 as well as the spinning knob for the rest of the channels....It was a little over 40 bucks when I got it....but that CB with a good firestick antenna gets me about 4 miles (at least thats what I got when I had it on the Z)....plenty far enough for me to talk.

Looks like I will have to hook the batter back up and pull out the test light. Ill post the info for future refrence.

5. Feb 15, 2008 at 3:07 PM
    kidthatsirish

Member:
    Vehicle:
    My original assumption was correct. The green wire is the hot wire, the white wire with the black stripe is the ground. I also found out that apparently the green wire is only hot when the key is in the on/acc position.

What the freak! Who came up with that great idea?....Someone should be fired.

6. Feb 15, 2008 at 3:07 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    If you don't mind my asking, how exactly did you get the cig. lighter out?
    I've been wanting to tap in to mine as well and wanted to be sure that I had a clue before I screw it up.
    Thanks,
    Mark

7. Feb 15, 2008 at 10:15 PM
    kidthatsirish

Member:
    Vehicle:

I first pulled out the actual lighter itself. I then used a pick tool (one with a 90 + angle is best) to slowly and carefully pry it lose around the edges until I could get my fingers on it. I then realized that is has a kind of twist and lock design, about a 90 degree twist and it poped right out.

The fun part was getting the wiring back out of the dash for it so I could splice into it!!! Easy enough by taking out the AC controls and the head unit (it was only 4 10mm bolts and both parts came out in less than 10 min. with no other parts being required to be removed).

So far its going pretty well. I hope to post a finished pic when done.

8. Feb 16, 2008 at 4:36 AM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    Cool.
    Thanks for that information, very helpful.

Products Discussed in

To Top