Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Secret Button?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
kidthatsirish is on a distinguished road
kidthatsirish's Tacoma Gallery
Secret Button?

Yes, when looking on the firewall at the spot where the wiring comes through on the passenger side, I found what appears to be a black button roughly a 3 inches above the groment.

I want to push it

Before I try to, does anyone know what it is? My only guess is that it is to reset the fuel or something in case of an accident.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
its a self destuct button
Old 02-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Pics? Could be some sort of aftermarket alarm.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
2000Tacomer is on a distinguished road

2000Tacomer's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds intriguing....I'm curious now.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
eject eject eject !!!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidthatsirish View Post
Yes, when looking on the firewall at the spot where the wiring comes through on the passenger side, I found what appears to be a black button roughly a 3 inches above the groment.

I want to push it

Before I try to, does anyone know what it is? My only guess is that it is to reset the fuel or something in case of an accident.
Is it labeled "DO NOT PUSH"? If not, don't bother.... nothing interesting will happen....
Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
2000Tacomer is on a distinguished road

2000Tacomer's Tacoma Gallery
Haha. Definately. That which is unobtainable is always the most desired......and therefor, anything without a big "DO NOT SCREW WITH THIS" sign, can't be too great.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
kidthatsirish is on a distinguished road
kidthatsirish's Tacoma Gallery
Well, it definetly appears to be a button...and I can feel what appears to be a spring like resistance underneath it when slightly touching it.

If its a gromment, it would stand to reason that there would be some sort of wiring, or if it was for other wires it would stand to reason that it would be bigger?

I dont know....my PIC is starting to kill me and I want to push it
Old 02-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I've seen a few grommets around 1/2" in diameter with a 1/4" center circle. Sorta looks like a button I guess, but it's the part you push on to set the grommet back in place if you take it out. There's one in each corner of the back of the cab behind the rear seats. I have wires for my bed lights running through them.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
the famous last post.......
Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
?
I think he was referring to the OP... posting his question without ever returning.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #15
dbbd1 is on a distinguished road

dbbd1's Tacoma Gallery
We need pic's!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #16
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
I think he was referring to the OP... posting his question without ever returning.
No I meant, like, he pushed the button and was never heard from again...
Old 02-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #17
bite me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoe View Post
No I meant, like, he pushed the button and was never heard from again...
Ha! Even better!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #18
Tool Geek
river rat is on a distinguished road

river rat's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure that's an auxilliary wiring grommet. I used one on mine to run wire for fog lights. (I think it's the same thing you're looking at.)
I snipped enough of the end off -like a squeeze tube of caulk- to make an opening just big enough for the wire I needed to run.

Rob
Old 09-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #19
August West is on a distinguished road

August West's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is that it is the reset button for maintenance scheduling... a light is supposed to come on every 5000 miles to remind you to change the oil...maybe this is what the mechanics push to reset the 5000 mile counter.

If this is not the button, but there is a button elsewhere for this, please advise!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
My guess is that it is the reset button for maintenance scheduling... a light is supposed to come on every 5000 miles to remind you to change the oil...maybe this is what the mechanics push to reset the 5000 mile counter.

If this is not the button, but there is a button elsewhere for this, please advise!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...eqd-light.html