Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Charcoal Canister

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
fwpilot [OP] fwpilot is offline
Junior Member
fwpilot is on a distinguished road
Air Force: CPT/Aviation
Name: O
Joined: Nov 2009, #25261
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 5
fwpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Charcoal Canister

Hello fellas,

I have a question to ask to those experts out there.

About a two months ago the check engine light came on on my 2005 Taco DC. I took it to the dealership for a check up and was told that the catalytic converters (2) were cracked and the charcoal canister needed to be changed. Apparently, the catalytic converters were cover by the warranty, but not the charcoal canister.

Now the question I have for you guys:
1) is it possible that 2 catalytic converters and the charcoal canister go bad at the same time?
2) where can I find a charcoal canister with out spending $400 that the dealership quoted me?
3) what makes those items go south so quick?

Thanks in advance...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Member
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
Joined: Jan 2009, #12092
Location: Down by the lake
Age: 44
Gender: Guy
Posts: 2,071
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
ive heard (local news) that if u fill your car/truck up the WHOLE way that it is a good chance u can ruin your charcoal box.like if your pumping and when its full the pump auto shuts off,dont add any more.lady on there was told by dealer that is what caused it.$800 mistake for her.i USED to do it all the time.dont no if that helps but good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Member
EXTREMEFUN1300 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jul 2009, #19464
Location: Huntley, IL
Gender: Male
Posts: 37
EXTREMEFUN1300's Tacoma Gallery
If I didn't just read your post I would have never believed it, but just this past Monday the auto shutoff at the gas pump didn't work and gas started pooring out of the filler. Wednesday morning the check engine light came on, Wednesday night took it into the dealer and you guessed it, charcoal canister! 51k miles and not covered under the Gold extended warranty. Looking for one myself, so far no luck with Napa or anybody else, factory order only.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 98,993
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREMEFUN1300 View Post
If I didn't just read your post I would have never believed it, but just this past Monday the auto shutoff at the gas pump didn't work and gas started pooring out of the filler. Wednesday morning the check engine light came on, Wednesday night took it into the dealer and you guessed it, charcoal canister! 51k miles and not covered under the Gold extended warranty. Looking for one myself, so far no luck with Napa or anybody else, factory order only.
It should be covered by the 80k mile Emissions warranty.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Member
EXTREMEFUN1300 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jul 2009, #19464
Location: Huntley, IL
Gender: Male
Posts: 37
EXTREMEFUN1300's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer said not covered but I called warrnaty co myself and asked, they also told me it's not covered. It's not listed as covered or not-covered in the service agreement booklet I got when I bought the truck. So far all my searches come up with nothing promising.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 98,993
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREMEFUN1300 View Post
Dealer said not covered but I called warrnaty co myself and asked, they also told me it's not covered. It's not listed as covered or not-covered in the service agreement booklet I got when I bought the truck. So far all my searches come up with nothing promising.
In the FSM it is listed as an Emissions system. You can fight this and win.
http://ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ilea...a/01100110.pdf
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 98,993
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
COVERAGES

Every Toyota Car, Truck and SUV is built to exceptional standards. And that's not idle boasting. We back it up with these Limited Warranty Coverages:
Basic: 36 months/36,000 miles (all components other than normal wear and maintenance items).
Powertrain: 60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and airbags).
Rust-Through: 60 months/unlimited miles (corrosion perforation of sheet metal).
Emissions: Coverages vary under Federal and California regulations. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.
Accessories: For accessories purchased at time of the new vehicle purchase, the Toyota Accessory Warranty coverage is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the vehicle's in-service date, which is the same coverage as the Basic coverage of the Toyota New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

For dealer-installed accessories purchased after the new vehicle purchase, the coverage is 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date the accessory was installed on the vehicle, or the remainder of the above 36 months or 36,000 miles Basic coverage from the vehicle's in-service date, whichever provides greater coverage, with the exception of car covers. Car covers are warranted for 12 months from the date of purchase and do not assume any coverage under the Toyota New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

For customer (non-dealer)-installed accessories purchased after the new vehicle purchase, the coverage is 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first), from the purchase date of the accessory.

You may be eligible for transportation assistance if itís necessary that your vehicle be kept overnight for repairs covered under warranty. Please see your authorized Toyota dealership for further details.

For complete details about Toyota's warranties, please refer to the applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet or see your Toyota dealer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
fwpilot [OP] fwpilot is offline
Junior Member
fwpilot is on a distinguished road
Air Force: CPT/Aviation
Name: O
Joined: Nov 2009, #25261
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 5
fwpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREMEFUN1300 View Post
If I didn't just read your post I would have never believed it, but just this past Monday the auto shutoff at the gas pump didn't work and gas started pooring out of the filler. Wednesday morning the check engine light came on, Wednesday night took it into the dealer and you guessed it, charcoal canister! 51k miles and not covered under the Gold extended warranty. Looking for one myself, so far no luck with Napa or anybody else, factory order only.
After having replaced the converters, the engine is running smoother and the engine light have not come on anymore in about 3K miles. I was able to find a OEM charcoal canister for $275.00 in a dealership in PR, but since its not "covered" under the warranty I decided to wait and have it check somewhere other than the dealer to make sure it needs to be replace or if it was just a bluff from the service dept. Sorry, but having worked at a dealership for many yrs I dont thrust those guys anymore...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #9
Member
EXTREMEFUN1300 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jul 2009, #19464
Location: Huntley, IL
Gender: Male
Posts: 37
EXTREMEFUN1300's Tacoma Gallery
Chris, I'm not in California, and that makes ALL the difference. Either you're a TOYO tech and know this to be fact (for instances outside of CA), for which I'd imagine you'd let us know how it's done...OR...you've processed this type of claim yourself and have nothing to hide about how you went about it and I can't imagine why you would not tell the community how to go about it, since we're all on the SAME Tacoma forums trying to help each other out? Or you're only speculating? What is it?

FWpilot...like most the others, my engine is not running abnormal, the diagnosis IS the charcoal canistor, an unless the diagnosis leads to the cat's (covered under warranty) you paid for the replacement out of your own pocket...so what are you trying to contribute? I like yourself do not trust the the service dept's, hence my not spending $600+ to have them do the service and trying to research the fix.

Personally, I'm going to try the cheapest thing first and have the check engine light reset with an empty tank of fuel (as I've found during my searches) and see if it comes on again. IF it does, then I'm going to find an inexpensive OEM replacement and change it out mysef, which i'm more then capable of regardless if it involves removing the bed and/or dropping the tank.

So, unless someone has something 100% concrete known as FACT that there's a way that the EXTENDED warranty or factory will cover the cost to fix the problem...I havent heard or read ANYTHING that leads me to believe Toyota or any of it's extended service providers will do to fix it for no charge.

Has anyone else?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:26 AM   #10
Senior Member
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
Joined: Dec 2008, #11412
Location: San Antonio, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,194
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwpilot View Post
After having replaced the converters, the engine is running smoother and the engine light have not come on anymore in about 3K miles. I was able to find a OEM charcoal canister for $275.00 in a dealership in PR, but since its not "covered" under the warranty I decided to wait and have it check somewhere other than the dealer to make sure it needs to be replace or if it was just a bluff from the service dept. Sorry, but having worked at a dealership for many yrs I dont thrust those guys anymore...

If it was me, I would have simply removed the cats, and used an o2 sim for the downstream sensors. They have no effect on the engine performance and simply let the computer know that the cats are functioning properly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 98,993
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREMEFUN1300 View Post
Chris, I'm not in California, and that makes ALL the difference. Either you're a TOYO tech and know this to be fact (for instances outside of CA), for which I'd imagine you'd let us know how it's done...OR...you've processed this type of claim yourself and have nothing to hide about how you went about it and I can't imagine why you would not tell the community how to go about it, since we're all on the SAME Tacoma forums trying to help each other out? Or you're only speculating? What is it?

FWpilot...like most the others, my engine is not running abnormal, the diagnosis IS the charcoal canistor, an unless the diagnosis leads to the cat's (covered under warranty) you paid for the replacement out of your own pocket...so what are you trying to contribute? I like yourself do not trust the the service dept's, hence my not spending $600+ to have them do the service and trying to research the fix.

Personally, I'm going to try the cheapest thing first and have the check engine light reset with an empty tank of fuel (as I've found during my searches) and see if it comes on again. IF it does, then I'm going to find an inexpensive OEM replacement and change it out mysef, which i'm more then capable of regardless if it involves removing the bed and/or dropping the tank.

So, unless someone has something 100% concrete known as FACT that there's a way that the EXTENDED warranty or factory will cover the cost to fix the problem...I havent heard or read ANYTHING that leads me to believe Toyota or any of it's extended service providers will do to fix it for no charge.

Has anyone else?
I did some more digging. Seems that part is covered by a either a 2 year 24000 mile, or an 8 year 80,000 mile emissions warranty depending on where you live. Im in AZ, and my owners manual states its covered by the later. I assumed it was all the same. In your area, it could be the 2/24 warranty. Sorry about that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:12 AM   #12
Member
EXTREMEFUN1300 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jul 2009, #19464
Location: Huntley, IL
Gender: Male
Posts: 37
EXTREMEFUN1300's Tacoma Gallery
Disconnected battery cables yesterday morning to reset the check engine light, tank was close to empty. Light off, filled the tank and drove about 100 miles yesterday and it never came back on, hopefully it won't! Like an idiot, I didn't ask the dealer to reset the light, and of course they didn't offer. $400 for a new canister assembly just to buy it, $600 to have them do the service...resetting the check engine light yourself for free...PRICELESS!
Will keep ya'll updated!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #13
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
littledvl's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Oct 2008, #10345
Location: PG county maryland
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,587
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Took my truck to the dealer today for a vibration as well as the check engine light, was told I needed a new charcoal canister and they will replace it under warranty. My truck is a 08 with 28k on it, for anyone with a scangauge the code P0000 is what I was getting for this problem.

Im happy they are fixing the canister, they also told me I have a vibration because "I have a lifted truck and they all vibrate". After argueing with them, I just left it alone and will take it to another dealer..
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
Junior Member
mlew is on a distinguished road
Name: M
Joined: Jul 2012, #83744
Location: Seattle/Tacoma
Gender: Male
Posts: 16
mlew's Tacoma Gallery
2005 prerunner charcoal

I've got 2005 V6 prerunner. CEL was on for over a year with the 5 codes indicating charcoal canister. I finally bought a new canister and filter on line and put them in. I dropped the spare and set the rear wheels on 4X4's. This gave plenty of room to work. Swapped out the parts and had the codes reset. About a week later the same codes returned. Is there something I missed? Thanks for any help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
littledvl's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Oct 2008, #10345
Location: PG county maryland
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,587
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlew View Post
I've got 2005 V6 prerunner. CEL was on for over a year with the 5 codes indicating charcoal canister. I finally bought a new canister and filter on line and put them in. I dropped the spare and set the rear wheels on 4X4's. This gave plenty of room to work. Swapped out the parts and had the codes reset. About a week later the same codes returned. Is there something I missed? Thanks for any help.
Sorry I cant help, but iv had my charcoal canister replaced 3 times over the years, i dont think iv drove my truck for more then a week without the cel on in over 3yrs.. I gave up trying to fix it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #16
Member
hladun is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2012, #79246
Location: Alberta
Gender: Male
Posts: 71
hladun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
ive heard (local news) that if u fill your car/truck up the WHOLE way that it is a good chance u can ruin your charcoal box.like if your pumping and when its full the pump auto shuts off,dont add any more.lady on there was told by dealer that is what caused it.$800 mistake for her.i USED to do it all the time.dont no if that helps but good luck.
I had CEL's and replaced my charcoal cannister. Problem solved. When I looked at the old CC it appears the diaphragm in the refuelling valve is ruptured. If this happens the vacuum test will generate CEL's. Don't overfill!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
littledvl's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Oct 2008, #10345
Location: PG county maryland
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,587
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hladun View Post
I had CEL's and replaced my charcoal cannister. Problem solved. When I looked at the old CC it appears the diaphragm in the refuelling valve is ruptured. If this happens the vacuum test will generate CEL's. Don't overfill!

The 2nd time i had my charcoal canister replaced, i went to the dealer with 1/4 tank, picked it up and returned the next day with it throwing the same code, with just under 1/4 tank, didnt park on any unlevel surface or even opened the gas cap. The dealer replaced it the 3rd time and the code came right back a few days later.. there is a issue with a sensor or something else but the dealer just wont look into it and replaces the canister, i just said f-it at this point..
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
Member
hladun is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2012, #79246
Location: Alberta
Gender: Male
Posts: 71
hladun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledvl View Post
The 2nd time i had my charcoal canister replaced, i went to the dealer with 1/4 tank, picked it up and returned the next day with it throwing the same code, with just under 1/4 tank, didnt park on any unlevel surface or even opened the gas cap. The dealer replaced it the 3rd time and the code came right back a few days later.. there is a issue with a sensor or something else but the dealer just wont look into it and replaces the canister, i just said f-it at this point..
What was the code you were getting?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
littledvl's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Oct 2008, #10345
Location: PG county maryland
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,587
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hladun View Post
What was the code you were getting?


Scan gauge thows p0453 daily, dealer says its a bad charcoal canister everytime i go.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
Member
hladun is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2012, #79246
Location: Alberta
Gender: Male
Posts: 71
hladun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledvl View Post
Scan gauge thows p0453 daily, dealer says its a bad charcoal canister everytime i go.
P0453 is EVAP system vapor pressure sensor, high voltage input. As I read it's the ECM that biases the sensor so, yup, changing the CC will do nothing. Broken wire or bad connection??? You must have a pretty dumb dealer if he can't figure the code out.

I was getting 455 & 456 indicating leaks. There are probably about 20 emission codes because the system is so fiendishly complex.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charcoal Canister toyotacoma Technical Chat 21 07-30-2012 04:02 PM
Charcoal Canister? TacoDawgs 2nd Gen. Tacomas 15 07-30-2012 04:00 PM
NEED Charcoal Canister Assembly USNROBERTS 2nd Gen. Tacomas 4 07-30-2012 03:58 PM
Charcoal Canister issues? krumble Long Travel Suspension 5 05-05-2011 08:07 AM
Charcoal Canister cleaning seligman 1st Gen. Tacomas 1 05-25-2010 09:28 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.