1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problems to desengage from 4wd low range

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Labatt 50, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Feb 23, 2008 at 9:52 PM
    Labatt 50

Labatt 50 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Montreal,Qc,Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab 4x4 4cyl
    DRL,weathertech floor liner and bug deflector
    I have Problems to desengage from 4wd low range.I must push the clutch cancel button to have the transfert case working properly.If I don't push it ,it never disengage.:confused:
    I have no problems with the high range. Does somebody have an idea of what can be the problem?I have installed dayrunning lights with the oem parts.Actually it's the only mod I made on my truck.
    I followed all the instructions from the user manual and the one's on the sunguard and it doesn't work.3 other owners of second generation tacoma have trying it without success.
    Someone have an idea of the problem?

Thanks!
    Charles

2. Feb 24, 2008 at 3:55 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I'm not sure how it goes with the manual transmission but the automatics must be in neutral to engage/disengage 4LO. Stepping on the clutch is not technically neutral. When my truck was new, it did not engage every time. I had to move the truck back and forward and try again and again. Once I went into a ditch and my 4LO wouldn't engage and had no way to rock the vehicle. :rolleyes:

3. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:35 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Not sure what the clutch cancel button has to do with it.... other than moving your vehicle a tiny bit to remove the 'torque' to allow it to disengage.
    The clutch cancel button forces your starter motor to move the truck. You don't want to get in the habit of using your clutch cancel button regularly or you'll ruin your starter.

Like Master already said... try moving the rig back/n/forth and try again. You might not have to move it too much either. Your driveline is under torque and it can't disengage until you remove the torque.

4. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:45 AM
    Cburt

Cburt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4, White
    None currently,
    Be sure the truck is actually in neutral, then try it, because just pushing in the clutch won't work.
    Also I don't think using your clutch cancel button will cause the starter to go out as mentioned.
    I have used that function once to see how it works, but I would imagine if Toyota allows you to crank the engine with the clutch disengauged, then it wouldn't hurt anything if you used it once in a while. That's what it is for.

5. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:52 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I have the opposite problem, I can't get my truck to go into 4LO, I have tried everything, I have an appointment in March to get it looked at. :(

6. Feb 24, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    With the manuals you HAVE to have the following until it breaks in a little and you do 4LO transitions:
    • clutch to the FLOOR
    • shifter to neutral
    • COMPLETE stop (hell, ride the brake too while you're at it)
    Once mine broke in some I could skip the shift to neutral part, but STILL have to be at a complete stop and clutch to the floor (like you're trying to start it).

As for the clutch cancel switch burning up the starter.... :laugh: Maybe if you used it for the intended purpose of getting unstuck while stalled and not causing clutch rollback. But simply doing it when the truck is stopped isn't going to do a damn thing! I've had the stock clutch switch in my Corolla bypassed for around 6 years now. Not a single problem with it.

I would bypass the one in the truck too, but why bother when Toyota did all the work with that nice switch! :D I don't need to crawl under the dash, fumble with the stupid connector, scrape my knuckles, and jump the 2 wires together. I did the same thing with my mom's Camry with a large staple and some electrical tape when her winter floor mats kept getting jammed under the clutch and she couldn't start it. No problems for her either.

7. Feb 24, 2008 at 4:57 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Remind me to look into that when we meet again! :D

8. Feb 24, 2008 at 5:44 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Will do, looking forward to that day. :D

9. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:22 PM
    Labatt 50

Member:
    Montreal,Qc,Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab 4x4 4cyl
    I have found the problem. It's the same as piercedtiger mom's camry."when her winter floor mats kept getting jammed under the clutch and she couldn't start it"

I was not pushing the clutch enough to compress the winter floor mats and have clutch switch closing. I call a "trouble 18" in my obdII scanner. Problem was 18 inches behind the stearing wheel!!! Ha!Ha!Ha!

Now I will have to check how to make the swith closing at a higher point.

But now I have a new question ,what's the utility of this button? Is it to start when you're stuck in the trafic or like I saw here ,to get out of a snow bunch when there is nearly no traction?

10. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    It's for when you need to start on a hill, but can't afford to roll back trying to juggle clutch, brake, and gas. Like stuck in the mud, on a hill, or with a trailer on back. Push the button, leave it in gear, foot off brake and clutch, and crank the engine. Starter turns the engine over while rolling the truck forward (has quite a bit of power due to the insanely low 1st gear), and lets you just hit the gas and go. Then shift when you're moving and need to upshift.

Or just somewhere you can't juggle the pedals fast enough to get moving. Mud, snow, whatever I guess. I learned to drive a stick in the winter on hills so I've never actually used it for that. I learned the old ebrake trick IF you need it.

I use it more for starting the truck without getting in on cold winter mornings from the passenger side. :laugh: Or after a long day of work when I don't want to mash the clutch. Or just too lazy to mash the clutch. My car's been bypassed for 6 years and I like it that way.

11. Feb 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM
    Labatt 50

Member:
    Montreal,Qc,Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab 4x4 4cyl
    Pierced tiger ,I saw in your pics that you have a bestop canopy,nobody have them at north side of the border. Do you think they are strong enought to handle a 30 inch snow storm? You live in NY State it's not very far from us. If you had the choice do you prefer flexible fiberglass canopy?I know that these canopys are very versatile and I have looked before to go to US and buy one if I be 100% sure of their strenght.
    p.s: For cold winter mornings I wear my snowmobiling winter suit and drive the windows down to avoid windshield freezing, a blast to make people's head turn around at minus 22 "when nobody want's to to turn their head!"I live near my workplace and my engine does not have time to warm up at minus 15 and under.

12. Feb 25, 2008 at 6:08 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Well, it's the same material used in Jeep soft tops and convertibles. Do you have any of them up there? I don't know how much they can hold either.

It's kind of arched a little so snow falls of the sides, but 30"..... I dunno. Are you talking about in one day or over several where you could just brush off one layer at a time to prevent the full 30" from accumulating?

As for the cold engine.... :laugh: That's a funny picture. Have you thought about or tried a block heater? Probably be better on your truck to warm up the oil before driving in that weather, not to mention better for the driver! :D

13. Feb 26, 2008 at 12:06 PM
    08beachtoy

08beachtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08' reg cab 4x4 2.7ltr 5 spd
    Sony cd player /ipod , small amp, bed mat from Dee Zee , A.R.E. custom cap with yakima racks, weather gaurd floor mats , oem fog lights ,oem DRL mod, class III hitch ,custom bed mounted power inverter, tinted windows 5 % all around, oem hood protector /bugshield , avs door visors ,wet okole seat covers , Train air horn
    make sure clutch is pushed all the down to disengage the 4 lo I had the same problem and that seemed to correct make it come right out I assume it will get better after we get a few miles on the trucks I am still under 1000 miles

14. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    LANCE GILL

LANCE GILL New Member

Member:
    NORTH DAKOTA
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 ACCESS CAB 4CY 5SPD
    I am still having problems engaging and disengaging the 4wd lo on my Tacoma. I did what the dealership suggested. I sat in the driveway and engaged & disengaged for an hour. However, as soon as I needed it the other day, I was back to square one. I had trouble getting it into 4 lo, but even more trouble disengaging 4 lo. Has anyone out there come up with a solution to this very annoying problem. Winter is just around the corner, and I don't want to be stranded because I can't get my truck into 4wd.

15. Oct 27, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    My truck was having problems engaging and disengaging from 4Lo. It actually got stuck in 4Lo once and I had to get it towed to my mechanic, who had a bitch of a time with it.

He had to pull the actuator, and had to manually pull the shaft that goes into the transfer case. He said it was very difficult to get it to budge.

Now the truck won't even engage into 4Hi. I have an appt at the dealer so we'll see what they say. Truck is out of warranty so I might have to grease up and bend over.

Products Discussed in

To Top