Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How To - Change Spark Plug 1st Gen 95.5-04 2RZ-FE(2.4L)/3RZ-FE(2.7L)

Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Slinging parts since '03
The Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Parts Whore's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow How To - Change Spark Plug 1st Gen 95.5-04 2RZ-FE(2.4L)/3RZ-FE(2.7L)

Decided to do another how to write up since I started my 5 days weekend a bit early this year. I'd recommend changing out your plugs every 20k miles or 2 years (whichever comes first.) I went with the Denso instead of NGK this time. They should be $2.22 at your favorite local Toyota dealerships.

Basic tools you'll need:

(1) 3/8" ratchet
(1) 3/8" 5/8 spark plug socket
(1) 3/8" 10mm socket
(1) 3/8" 6" extension
(1) 3/8" 3" extension
(1) plier
(1) anti-seize lubricant
(1) flat head screw driver = *optional
(1) spark plug gapper = *not picture
(1) 3/8" torque wrench = *not picture
(6) beers - optional = *not picture

(4) Denso (K16R-U11) - Toyota Part # 90919-01164

Gap (0.040-0.041)

Spark plugs torque 15 ft.-lbs

Some FYI before you start: work on one cylinder at a time to avoid mixing shit up.

1. If you have the stock intake, you might have to remove the intake tube to have more room. Those that have the K&N FIPK intake, you could just loosen the 4 clamps (2 on the throttle body and 2 on the sensor adapter) no need to remove the intake tube.

2. Remove the 10mm bolt for the throttle cable bracket.

3. Use plier to remove the clip from the coil pack.

4. Remove 10mm bolt holding down the coil pack.

5. Use 3/8" 5/8 spark plug socket and 6" extension to remove your old spark plug.

Some comparison...check if your old plug is normal (dry without any oil, and not too dark.)

Old = NGK, new = Denso.

6. The new plugs are pre-gapped (according to the parts dept person) but I check to again to be safe. They're suppose to be 0.043 max. I have them set at 0.040-0.041. Sorry, I couldn't get a clear pic.

7. Put some anti-seize on and reinstall. Torque it to 15 ft.-lbs.

8. Reconnect the clip to the coil pack and make sure you hear a "click" sound.

9. Reinstall the 10mm bolt on the coil pack.

10. Next cylinder #3.

Same procedures (remove clip, remove 10mm bolt, remove old plug, check the gap on the new plug, put some anti-seize, reinstall and torque to 15 ft.-lbs)

*Note: with the K&N FIPK, they supplied an allen bolt to have it sit flush and not rub on the intake tube.

11. Next cylinder #2.

Same procedures (remove clip, remove 10mm bolt, remove old plug, check the gap on the new plug, put some anti-seize, reinstall and torque to 15 ft.-lbs)

*Note: move the intake tube out of the way to reach the #2 coil pack (this is why you need to loosen the 4 clamps on the intake tube in the beginning.)

12. Last cylinder #1.

13. Recheck everything to see that they're tighten down properly and you're done. Easy 30 mins and $9 maintenance job. Happy early turkey day fellow TW enthusiasts!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
hector venezuela is on a distinguished road
Name: HECTOR
hector venezuela's Tacoma Gallery
hi!!

hello friend thanks a very good post I'm from Venezuela and here he brings that engine toyota meru really wanted to know which exact model is that K & N air intake I'd appreciate the info please!!! greetings from Venezuela
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Slinging parts since '03
The Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Parts Whore's Tacoma Gallery
K&N 57-9016-1
Old 09-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
hector venezuela is on a distinguished road
Name: HECTOR
hector venezuela's Tacoma Gallery
thanks
Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Joe02TRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
Joe02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome write up! Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
defleppardsg is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
defleppardsg's Tacoma Gallery
Do you ever have to replace the coil packs? Or just the plugs every so often?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by defleppardsg View Post
Do you ever have to replace the coil packs? Or just the plugs every so often?
According to what I was told today, only replace them if your truck is misfiring, typically they either work or they don't, no in between. They are $80/each at local stores, not sure about the dealership...