Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Are Tacomas as good as Corollas?

Old 09-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
Moe is on a distinguished road
Moe's Tacoma Gallery
Are Tacomas as good as Corollas?

I don't own a Tacoma, but we've had a Corolla for five years and it's great, reliable, everything. Since the Tacoma is so different as far as performance and purpose of use, I'm wondering if it's as reliable as the Corolla or does its reliability fall into the category of American cars?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, they are as good.

Got a buddy with a 95.5 Tacoma with 275,000 miles on it
Old 09-28-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
tuxlugz is on a distinguished road
tuxlugz's Tacoma Gallery
i second that.... daily driver with 325,000+ on it. truck is goin under the knife this winter, so it'll be a while before i can put some more miles on it!
Old 11-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
yes they are both great vehicles, I have a 03 taco and the wife has the 05 corolla,
Old 11-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
if you are looking for a vehicle that is reliable and performs great long term then toyota is the one for you. my 94 corolla R.I.P(2005) passed the 150,000 mark.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
ExitusLSU is on a distinguished road

ExitusLSU's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't had any problems with my Corolla. The fiancee has the 04 Corrolla and I just picked up the Tacoma, so I can't really comment on the reliability of the truck. On the other hand, I've always heard Toyota to be pretty good.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Life is good.
glhsracer is on a distinguished road
glhsracer's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to glhsracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
I don't own a Tacoma, but we've had a Corolla for five years and it's great, reliable, everything. Since the Tacoma is so different as far as performance and purpose of use, I'm wondering if it's as reliable as the Corolla or does its reliability fall into the category of American cars?
I bought my 09 Tacoma about the same time I bought a 09 Yaris. The Tacoma has been every bit as reliable as the Yaris and has to do much more work.

The Yaris is made in Japan where the Tacoma and Corolla are both made in the US. The Tacoma shows no signs of any inferiority, you should have no trouble at all. You certainly will be well above any Detroit based standard, a hard thing for me to admit having been an "American Car" car for a long time.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
talk about a thread bump
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
we had a corolla before we got our 4runner and tacoma. both have held up to the toyota name. 30,000 plus on both so far
Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
wawireguy is on a distinguished road
wawireguy's Tacoma Gallery
There are some issues with Tacoma's. Everyone here shouldn't pretend there isn't. Some tranny surging issues on autos. Manuals are kinda clunky. Some windshield weather stripping bugs. There were some frame rust issues in early 2000's I think. Now I'm sure other vehicles have a laundry list of problems. Ford really is fix or repair daily. Dodge is just cheap. Leaves Chevy as the only alternative and the Colorado looks cheap.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawireguy View Post
There are some issues with Tacoma's. Everyone here shouldn't pretend there isn't.

No one is denying the list of relatively small items. My wife's Corolla has some minor issues, like dash rattle and minor wind noise. The question was are they as reliable as the Corolla's.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Hello 2006, welcome to 2009.