Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

transfer case and differential maintenance?

Old 11-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
The tacoman is on a distinguished road
The tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
transfer case and differential maintenance?

I was getting ready to change the oil in my front differential and transfer case. I have already done the the rear differential, but was just under there looking and the front seems to be a little more difficult than the back. Would anyone mind telling what all I need to remove to be able to get to these? I had looked for a write up, but couldn't find one. Also what kind of oil is recommended for the transfer case? If anyone knows of a write up or has pictures they would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
for as i know, the front uses a hex key
the haynes manual says the front and the rear are the same in the procedures wise.
Un-screw, drain, fuel... same as a transfer case
Old 11-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
The tacoman is on a distinguished road
The tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnv View Post
Front remove Skid Plates,need a 10MM hex key,I think a 24MM socket. 75W90 weight in everything.

Awesome, thanks. one more question, how many quarts in the transfer case? Sorry i don't have my manual i know this could be easily answered in there.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
no write up on this ..... hummmm CHRIS 4x4 needs to get back to work ...
Old 12-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
i dont worry abt it i have a 2x4 pre-runner hence no Transfer case i dont liketo mess with the transmission anyways ...
Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
I believe it's a little over a quart, thats what came out when I did mine