Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How do i remove front end?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
jerris is on a distinguished road
Name: jerris
jerris's Tacoma Gallery
How do i remove front end?

can any help guide me to getting the front end out of my truck i am going to re gear it? im not sure how to remove te axles from the diff so i can pull it out.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say the easiest way would be:
-Break loose the lug nuts
-Jack up front of truck, put stands under frame rails to support it.
-remove front tires
-loosen the bolts that hold the lower UCA ball joint to the knuckle
-pop out the inner shaft of the CVs from the differential by lightly prying between the shaft and differential(I think they're just held in with a clip on the shaft, if anyone knows different, help me out here) and swinging the knuckle out.
-remove any wiring to the diff, and the bolts that hold the diff in place while supporting the diff with a floor jack to lower it down.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...6ta/037002.pdf
Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I'd say the easiest way would be:
-Break loose the lug nuts
-Jack up front of truck, put stands under frame rails to support it.
-remove front tires
-loosen the bolts that hold the lower UCA ball joint to the knuckle
-pop out the inner shaft of the CVs from the differential by lightly prying between the shaft and differential(I think they're just held in with a clip on the shaft, if anyone knows different, help me out here) and swinging the knuckle out.
-remove any wiring to the diff, and the bolts that hold the diff in place while supporting the diff with a floor jack to lower it down.
Pretty much. I've always removed the axle from the spindle before removing the differential end. Just easier to maneuver everything that way. The outer axle has a 35mm nut that you'll have to remove.

Drain the differential before removing the axles or you'll have a mess on your hands. And unfortunately, prying is the only way to get those axles out. They're really not difficult to remove but getting the right leverage can be a hassle. Just stick with it. When you get aggravated, take a beer break and then get back into it.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
jerris is on a distinguished road
Name: jerris
jerris's Tacoma Gallery
thanks what is a SST?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Use hammer.

Just kidding, DO NOT USE A HAMMER!!!