Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

DIY: Wiring after-market lights

Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
i ordered the toyota in dash switches they fit like OEM
Old 03-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #22
Mellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud of

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if anyone has found this yet or if it's in this thread but I couldn't find it.

If you use the 3rd slot (should be unused-yellow arrow in pic) It will power up when your turn your parking lights on so you can leave your fog/driving lights on and they will turn off when you turn your lights off.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-interiorfuseblock.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Good find Mellow. That should be helpful for those doing fog lights instead of offroad lights. I assume it also goes off when you turn off the ignition?? If that is the case you could do without the switch all together for fogs.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #24
Mellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud of

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoppas View Post
Good find Mellow. That should be helpful for those doing fog lights instead of offroad lights. I assume it also goes off when you turn off the ignition?? If that is the case you could do without the switch all together for fogs.
Nope, they are associated with the lights so as long as the parking lights are on, so will this fuse location, ignition or not.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #25
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
Nope, they are associated with the lights so as long as the parking lights are on, so will this fuse location, ignition or not.
So you still need a switch to shut them off if you leave the headlights on? OR does opening the driver door turn them off with the headlights?

Personally, I prefer to splice into a wire that only has power when the key is turned to ACC or ON so they never run the risk of running the battery down as long as I take the key with me.

Then again this might be nice if you don't want an extra switch on the dash.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:38 AM   #26

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
So you still need a switch to shut them off if you leave the headlights on? OR does opening the driver door turn them off with the headlights?

Personally, I prefer to splice into a wire that only has power when the key is turned to ACC or ON so they never run the risk of running the battery down as long as I take the key with me.

Then again this might be nice if you don't want an extra switch on the dash.
Yes, I still have a switch. The fuse tap goes to the relay so the lights can be turned on/off either with the dash switch or, if the dash switch is on, they will go off when the truck lights (parking/tail) go off.

If there is an auto light off option on your truck then, since this is tied into the parking/tail lights, they should also go off.

If you don't want a switch on the dash at all then you'd had to do something a bit different like bypass the switch itself.

I like this option because it functions like the previous vehicles I've had with driving lights - you turn on your car's lights and the driving lights come on too - turn them off - the driving lights go off as well and the driving lights can be deactivated using the dash switch in case you have a bulb go out and you don't want the cyclops look... LOL
Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #27
Leesjoy is on a distinguished road
Leesjoy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Rhoppas, you sound like you know what you're doing. Need your expertise, please! My issue is that my 07 Taco did not come with the fogs or the wiring, so i need the whole "kit" including the in-dash switch, and the OEM lights. Should I buy Factory OEM fogs or aftermarket? Can you recommen any? As long as they fit inside the bumper casing where they were designed to fit I don't mind which ones as long as they are reliable. I believe it's a good idea to have them shut-off automatically when the ignition is turned-off. Thanks, Lee
Old 05-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #28
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, Leesjoy. I wish I could be of more help to you. My truck came with factory fog lights and I haven't really looked at them that close. I am not sure what is available after-market. I am sure there are probably several people on here who have done what you are planning. Hopefully they will throw in their 2 cents of advice. I am sure you could wire them the same way I did my offroad lights. It's really the same thing, you are just mounting them in a different location. If you don't get a response in this thread you should probably post your question in the 2nd Gen thread. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out...
Old 06-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #29
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Nice work, thanks for this.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #31
philly74 is on a distinguished road

philly74's Tacoma Gallery
hey ... i got aftermarket halo head lights ... and i can't get them to work ....

when i got them installed they hooked everything up to the signal light...
not what i wanted... the guys are stupid but they are going to fix it for free !!! so i just wanna tell them how to do it... just let me know if u think this is going to work...

as u can see the 3 LEDs are on a series
and i cant get all 3 LEDs to work all at once...
the only way i can get the LEDs to work is if in one of the slots i have a bulb...
the bulb doesn't light up ...
but the 2 LEDs that is in the series will ...
if i try to hook up all 3 LEDs in the series not one will light up ...
now remember the eyebrow light is also hooked up to the the signal light
and it will run a LED or a Bulb ...
so the way i see it right now is
the Signal light can run 3 LED's at once
but not in a series ...

so what i was thinking of doing was to cut the wires in the series and have each LED slot on its own !!!

i got 3 orange or amber LEDs so i would like to keep the 3 LEDs hook up to the signal light ... put the halos on there own power supply with the eyebrow light

this should work no??? or any ideas???
Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #32
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
would this method work for all the off road lights... i was thinking on getting the KC HID lights so...
Old 07-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #33
Land of Oz

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly74 View Post
hey ... i got aftermarket halo head lights ... and i can't get them to work ....
Unfortunately I have no experience with halo headlights so I would not feel comfortable giving advice. I suspect the LEDs are wired in series because they do not need 12v each but again that is only a guess. Hopefully someone on here who has installed these before will chime in with some good suggestions. Sorry...
Old 07-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #34
Land of Oz

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by it's in coma View Post
would this method work for all the off road lights... i was thinking on getting the KC HID lights so...
I feel bad for not having any suggestions for you or Philly74, but again I have no experience with HID lights so I would not want to give advice that may be wrong. I believe HIDs use a ballast and require more current than ordinary lights. Hopefully someone on here will chime in with some experienced help for you...
Old 07-22-2008, 05:32 AM   #35
philly74 is on a distinguished road

philly74's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoppas View Post
I feel bad for not having any suggestions for you or Philly74, but again I have no experience with HID lights so I would not want to give advice that may be wrong. I believe HIDs use a ballast and require more current than ordinary lights. Hopefully someone on here will chime in with some experienced help for you...
its ok man the LEDs are 194 12 v what ever 194 means i think its size !!! lol im not good with electrical mumbo jumbo lol
Old 09-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #36
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedruM29 View Post
these in dash switches are nice and affordable at 7 dollars a piece. just bought two. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/swi...ted_rocker.asp
Exactly!! I just ordered a switch from this place - same switch that everyone is using. I was surprised to see that it's an actual Genuine TOYOTA part.
It's Toyota part # 00550-35976 In-Dash Switch.

Now if only my fog lights would get here!!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #37
I love tight cracks
climber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the rough

climber-420's Tacoma Gallery
So the lights on the brushguard blow a fuse everytime i put a new one in. I think there is a short. what do i do
Old 09-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #38
Land of Oz

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely sounds like you have a short somewhere. I would trace each of the wires and make sure you have them plugged into the correct lug on the relay. Also make sure you have a good ground. Is this happening with the switch off, or only when the switch is turned on?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #39
Land of Oz

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber-420 View Post
So the lights on the brushguard blow a fuse everytime i put a new one in. I think there is a short. what do i do
How many lights are you running and what wattage are they? How big a fuse are you using?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #40
I love tight cracks
climber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the rough

climber-420's Tacoma Gallery
The truck came with the brushguard and lights. Only 2 off road lights it looks like from walmart,autozone...etc The fuse that was in there was a 15, i put a 25, then a 40 in there and they all blew almost innstantly. I think the wiring job is a bit shotty. I think the wattage on the lights is 50watts.