Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

DIY: Wiring after-market lights

Old 01-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #101
Be back Summer of 2014
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Just one more thing to think about when wiring these is to use a wire that will withstand the current and not melt. I like bumping a size or two up for good measure just incase you change the lights out later too, or just for some extra peace of mind. Great info and thanks for the post!

**EDIT** say it says 14 gauge wire... That outta be plenty but here is a link I found useful to double check some things

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/am...uge-d_730.html
Old 03-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #102
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
I know you suggested using a coat hanger to get the wires from the engine bay to the interior...I looked from both sides of the wire loom there already. Looks super tight. So if you're pulling three wires through for a switch how the hell did you get them through that grommet with the loom already there? Looks daunting.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #103
L J will become famous soon enoughL J will become famous soon enough

L J's Tacoma Gallery
/\/\/\

Get some wire lubricant used for pulling wire through conduit. Sold in most hardware stores. Will make it much easier to pull the wires through to boot surrounding the wire bundle that is there.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #104
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
ok so what size fuse do i use from the fuse box to my switch? i have a lighted switch i think its 15 or 20 amps. i already bought everything but i gotta go back for the fuse it self. so any ideas?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #106
witter beach is on a distinguished road
witter beach's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info on switches and fuse taps. I bought a lighted rocker from the dealer
$12.00, and installed some auxliary lights mounted under the rear bumper. I connected
to the battery when I could have used a fuse tap and made it a little simpler. WB
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #107
randytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shedrandytho is one of the sharper tools in the shed
randytho's Tacoma Gallery
Wire aftermarket fogs to act like OEM?

I just bought the amazon kit made by kramer acc. I would like them to behave like the oem lights. (As in they go out when the high beams come on.) I am looking at the service manual diagrams and it looks like if the fog relay switch in the kit is powered from the RH LO HEAD 10A fuse location (using the add-a-fuse) then it would have this behavior. (Instead of the tail fuse.) It looks like this would simply mimic the factory wiring. I have linked the manual pages below. Any comments to support or disagree?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #108
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Can I buy a OEM fog light switch and mount it in the blank slot?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #109
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAV8R View Post
I know you suggested using a coat hanger to get the wires from the engine bay to the interior...I looked from both sides of the wire loom there already. Looks super tight. So if you're pulling three wires through for a switch how the hell did you get them through that grommet with the loom already there? Looks daunting.
KY jelly or vaseline
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #110
bkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to all

Name: Dave
bkrdave36's Tacoma Gallery
Once again this website will save me money by doing it myself instead of paying someone else. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #111
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrdave36 View Post
Once again this website will save me money by doing it myself instead of paying someone else. Thanks!
Hell yeah! That's what I love about TW, I've saved thousands not having to pay people, plus It feels better knowing you did it yourself and learned along the way.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #112
ponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ponethousand's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #113
bkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to all

Name: Dave
bkrdave36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie8 View Post
Why do it say in your diagram that you used two inline fuses but you only used one? And why only a 1 or 2 amp fuse in the add a circuit why not use a fuse what the wattage calls for? Bare with me i'm new at this! lol
There is one 20 amp inline fuse and one mini fuse tap used. As far as the other questions, I cant help you. Sorry.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #114
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: US Army Corps of Engineers - NADENMG
Name: Ron
PhantomVirus's Tacoma Gallery
You can remove one of the firewall grommets, cut it and then feed the wires through it.

Reinsert the grommet back into the firewall to keep things waterproof and add a bit of silicone sealant on the wires when done.

You do NOT need to use the Wire Loom bundle.

The grommet I used is approx. 6 inches closer to the passenger side of the car from the wiring bundle. The grommet is in the firewall and seems to serve no purpose other than to seal the open hole in the firewall.

I do not know why the hole is even there.

Will try to take a picture or two and post here - I used this hole in the firewall to wire my RIGID light bar.

BTW you also need to make a SMALL hole in the carpet to get the wire into the cabin. If you do it on a sunny day it's super easy to see where the hole needs to go since the light will shine through the carpet.

I used an XACTO knife to slit the carpet but I would guess your could use a sharp pencil to push through if you needed to.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #115
Geem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
bookmarking
Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #117
TACO FOR LIFE has a spectacular aura aboutTACO FOR LIFE has a spectacular aura about
Name: Seth
TACO FOR LIFE's Tacoma Gallery
OK im a little lost....or a lot. im in the process of putting 4or5 2x2 led pods on my truck but im getting lost in all this. How many relays would i need? can i use the same process as in this thread? will that much light kill my stock battery? if so should i get a second battery or can i get a bigger/better battery. i think this is most of my questions but if not ill bring them to the table.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #118
TACO FOR LIFE has a spectacular aura aboutTACO FOR LIFE has a spectacular aura about
Name: Seth
TACO FOR LIFE's Tacoma Gallery
https://illuminationsupply.com/wirin...e#.UlOAS4Y6P4A

is this an ok relay to use or would it be better to just get a basic one from local store
Old 10-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #119
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so should I wire 2 kc daylighters and 2 hella 500s on the same 5 pin relay or use 2 4 pin relays? I want to wire them to turn on either or, or turn on all 4. So I think I would need 2 switches? How would I wire that?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #120
jimmyd is on a distinguished road
jimmyd's Tacoma Gallery
Hi! I just joined, had my 2013 Tacoma about 2 months now. I am installing fog lights, and the wiring is giving me some problems mainly no instructions or wiring digrams. Any one know what to do with this mess of wires?