Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

DIY: Wiring after-market lights

Old 10-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #121
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
Hi! I just joined, had my 2013 Tacoma about 2 months now. I am installing fog lights, and the wiring is giving me some problems mainly no instructions or wiring digrams. Any one know what to do with this mess of wires?
A picture or a diagram of what you have might help
Old 11-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #122
TACO FOR LIFE has a spectacular aura aboutTACO FOR LIFE has a spectacular aura about
Name: Seth
TACO FOR LIFE's Tacoma Gallery
ok so i followed this to the T and no lights when i hit the switch. im wondering when i check the relay for power it has it going in but i checked the other prong with the lights on it and the one with the switch and neither have power. does this mean i have a bad relay or could something else be wrong
Old 11-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #123
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO FOR LIFE View Post
ok so i followed this to the T and no lights when i hit the switch. im wondering when i check the relay for power it has it going in but i checked the other prong with the lights on it and the one with the switch and neither have power. does this mean i have a bad relay or could something else be wrong
Make sure you have a good solid ground first, re check everything step by step
Old 11-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #124
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO FOR LIFE View Post
yeah, check grounds, swap out relays to see if that's it, possible switch could be bad too
Old 12-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #125
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. just bought some kc's
Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #127
US Patriot
Dondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread and very thorough. I will be ordering some lights this week, as I am still doing some more research on quality lights. I'm wanting two mounted in the front and a flood light mounted on the back on the cab.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #129
kruizner is on a distinguished road
kruizner's Tacoma Gallery
wiring a light bar and illuminated switch

Just adding a few photos to demonstrate where I tapped into the engine compartment fuse box for power to the relay and ultimately to power the light bar, as well as how I wired my illuminated dash switch to the fuse panel inside the cab all using 3 add-a-circuit (fuse taps).

Wiring steps; 1. power lead and ground from aux light to relay. 2. Relay power lead (with in line fuse) to EFI #2 on engine fuse panel and ground to car body. 3. yl wire from relay to illuminated light switch in cab. 4. As the photo shows, my illuminated OEM looking switch has 4 wires - ground, illumination, power lead to relay and power from (in cab) fuse panel to switch.

EFI #2 allows circuit to disconnect when ignition is off. This assures the aux light will be off when you turn the key off.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...1&d=1399428863

The 2nd photo is how it looks with the fuse tap in place.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-fuse-tap-efi-2.jpg   DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-grnd-connection.jpg   DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-firewall-access.jpg   DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-empty-switch-location.jpg   DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-fuse-panel.jpg  

DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-switch.jpg   DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-switch-extended-ground-wire.jpg   DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-ground-wire.jpg   DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-fuse-taps.jpg   DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-switch-installed.jpg  

DIY:  Wiring after-market lights-light-bar-installed.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #130
Grakyn is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
Grakyn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoppas View Post
11. Find an open (unused) fuse slot in your interior fuse block that is tied in with the ignition switch (see picture below for the one I used). You can find this by using a voltmeter. Set the voltmeter to the 12V DC setting. Connect the black voltmeter cable to a good ground near the fuse block. Turn the truck ignition to the on position. Using the red voltmeter cable, touch the open (unused) fuse slot and see if you get a voltage reading on the meter. If you don’t, then go to the next open slot and test it. Once you find a unused slot with power, turn off the ignition switch and test the same slot again. If you still have power, repeat these steps on the next open slot. You want to find a slot that has power when the ignition is on, but does not have power when the ignition is off. As shown in the picture below, I used the second fuse slot from the left, on the next to last row of fuses.

Attachment 1409

12. If you are plugging the fuse tap into a fuse slot that is currently being used, remove the existing fuse and plug it into the fuse tap slot nearest the metal plug-in. Plug the new 1 or 2 amp fuse into the fuse tap slot farthest from the metal plug-in. Since I used an empty fuse slot in the fuse block, you can see the single small fuse plugged into the fuse tap in the picture below. Plug the fuse tap into the fuse block slot identified in the previous step.

13. Cut another length of 22 gauge wire long enough to go from the fuse tap to the switch on the dash. Connect one end of the wire to the crimp connector on the fuse tap. Connect the other end of the wire to the unwired connection on the switch. In the picture above you can see the blue crimp connector that is connecting the red fuse tap wire to the blue wire running to the switch. The picture below shows the fuse tap unplugged from the fuse panel.

Attachment 1408
This fuse tap just made my life so much easier.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #131
PiratePug is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Communications Supervisor
Name: Mike
PiratePug's Tacoma Gallery
very good thread

been looking around for a little while for the easiest and most correct way to wire aftermarket lights for my truck. this was very clear and concise thanks
Old 07-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #135
P Dub is on a distinguished road
P Dub's Tacoma Gallery
Brackets for my '14

I got a curved 50" light bar, and I need mounts for the roof. Any suggestions on where to buy them? 2014 taco
Old 08-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #137
TheFang is a splendid one to beholdTheFang is a splendid one to beholdTheFang is a splendid one to beholdTheFang is a splendid one to beholdTheFang is a splendid one to beholdTheFang is a splendid one to beholdTheFang is a splendid one to behold

TheFang's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2014 DCSB. I am trying to wire LED halos into my DRLs so that the LED's have power while my DRLs are on. There are three wires coming out the back of my DRL: Green, White with a black stripe, and Blue. I need to know which wire is which so I can splice the proper wire for the LED into it. I called at least 6-7 dealers and they all refused to tell me cause they can't give me information that would help me mod my truck. Green, White, Blue. Which wire is which?