Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Anyone use Shell Rotella T Synthetic

Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #21
They are more like guide lines.
sloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nice

sloppyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
I am surprised this thread has not had anymore posts?? i would have liked to hear from more Rotella T6 users, if ther are any?? So I am interested now and would love other to chime in whith experience on this thread. Not jacking just reviving i too think it is a great oil and it does cover alot of bases as far as use goes, the CJ-4 really means it is built to handle the $hit that fleets throw at truck and cars, so why would it not excel in other arenas?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #22
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
I am surprised this thread has not had anymore posts?? i would have liked to hear from more Rotella T6 users, if ther are any?? So I am interested now and would love other to chime in whith experience on this thread. Not jacking just reviving i too think it is a great oil and it does cover alot of bases as far as use goes, the CJ-4 really means it is built to handle the $hit that fleets throw at truck and cars, so why would it not excel in other arenas?
its extremely good oil, keeps engine clean inside. However, its cold start sucks a lot (I think formula had changed to fix that) So I would be very careful if you are in cold climate and have new engine. that 5w-40 oil gets so thick when its cold oil pressure goes through the roof, and it won't come down until reaches almost operating temperature.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #23
sloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nice

I live in the South East so maybe the cold would not hurt it much, I am currently using Royal Purple but the cost is a bit high, and I have heard nothing but good things about the Rotella 5w-40, thats why I am reviving this thread hoping others here can tell me what experience they have had with it in Tacomas, Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I live in the South East so maybe the cold would not hurt it much, I am currently using Royal Purple but the cost is a bit high, and I have heard nothing but good things about the Rotella 5w-40, thats why I am reviving this thread hoping others here can tell me what experience they have had with it in Tacomas, Thanks for the quick reply!
Yep so if you are in South you should be fine. I know Shell changed formula to improve cold start ups so next year I will be running new formula since I used up my oil stash Cold startup was the only thing that holded me from running that in 2gen truck. On my LC oil pressure goes sky high if its cold on start up. literally I am at maximum oil pressure at 900 RPMS and my truck has 180K miles. I can imagine if my bypass valve did not open the oil filter would disintegrate pretty much at start up.
Otherwise yeah this is probably the best oil money can buy. My LC engine inside is pristine clean thanks to that thing. Look at pic I posted.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2114282
Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #25

Very nice I'm sold!! I cannot wait to spend less money on my oil changes, RP will hurt you, I mean I could have vent shades on my windows if I was using Rotella
Old 02-23-2011, 05:57 AM   #26
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
I use the rotella T6 5-40 in everything I own except the transmissions of my motorcycles, I use the 15-40 non synhthetic (T5?) in there so the clutches wont slip and glaze..

Been using it for quite a while and I drive everything like I stole it and have had no oiling issues whatsoever, as a matter of fact I ran my 98 2.4L Turbocharged Tacoma (20psi) for quite some time, and when I tore the motor down to build it up it had relatively no wear on it, looked like new inside even though I was trying to kill it on a daily basis, lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
I use the rotella T6 5-40 in everything I own except the transmissions of my motorcycles, I use the 15-40 non synhthetic (T5?) in there so the clutches wont slip and glaze..

Been using it for quite a while and I drive everything like I stole it and have had no oiling issues whatsoever, as a matter of fact I ran my 98 2.4L Turbocharged Tacoma (20psi) for quite some time, and when I tore the motor down to build it up it had relatively no wear on it, looked like new inside even though I was trying to kill it on a daily basis, lol.

NOICE! Thats what I was trying to see, people who have run it in Tacomas with good results. I have pretty much decided I am going with it for good on my Tacoma when I do the next oil change. I really like what I have found out about this oil. A good buddy of mine just switched over his truck (Ford F250) and had great results. He swears he could feel an instant difference as the truck felt like it was running softer inside?? Yea, whatever that means, but its good $h!+
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #28

Morning bump, I am surprised there are not more people using this oil, as it is a very good oil. It out performs PAO base stocks in every test. But if this is it this is it, no need to keep it going if there are no more users out there, Thanks for all the replies!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #29
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
I use the heavy deisel oil in my 650 thumper DS. It stays clean for a long time and doesn't have any molyB additive.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #30
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Rotella T6 5W-40 in my dirt bikes, my 04 tacoma and a 05 miata. It is API SM which bounds what the owners manual recommends. It is not, as has been mentioned, energy conserving. The 5w rating is for how the oil behaves at low temperature and the 40 is for high temperature.

I like synthetic oil in cars and trucks because I can run more miles between changes. I run 10,000 miles on a synthetic oil change.

I also like it because the Miata has a turbo and synthetic does not break down as fast as dino oil in high temps and in transmissions (motorcycles) .
Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #31
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the dirtbikes.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #32
Oreo5 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: RS
Oreo5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Morning bump, I am surprised there are not more people using this oil, as it is a very good oil. It out performs PAO base stocks in every test. But if this is it this is it, no need to keep it going if there are no more users out there, Thanks for all the replies!
Thinking about trying this, any feedback after 2 years of using it??
Old 02-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #33
corrado007 is on a distinguished road
Army: 3rd ID
Name: Justin
corrado007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo5 View Post
Thinking about trying this, any feedback after 2 years of using it??
I used it in my Honda CBR F4i motorcycle and my wife's Ninja 250 for a few years and it was great for them, no problems at all. Of course that's a very different application but perhaps a more intense one as they rev much higher. In my Tacomas I've always used Mobil1 Synthetic from Wal-mart, it's pretty cheap if you get it there. I tried researching the whole oil topic for some time and found that it's nearly impossible to find the best oil, fact is, most oils will do fine and very few of us will ever notice a difference but I'd guess you'd be fine with Rotella, Mobil1, or any of the other popular ones. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #34
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado007 View Post
I used it in my Honda CBR F4i motorcycle and my wife's Ninja 250 for a few years and it was great for them, no problems at all. Of course that's a very different application but perhaps a more intense one as they rev much higher. In my Tacomas I've always used Mobil1 Synthetic from Wal-mart, it's pretty cheap if you get it there. I tried researching the whole oil topic for some time and found that it's nearly impossible to find the best oil, fact is, most oils will do fine and very few of us will ever notice a difference but I'd guess you'd be fine with Rotella, Mobil1, or any of the other popular ones. Good luck.
Walmart has a good price on it in the 5w40.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rote...1-Gal/14958681
Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #35

Oreo5's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I just feel weird about using 40 instead of 30 like is recommended. I too use Mobil 1 but from Costco because it comes in 6 qts which my 07 prerunner uses 5.5 qts. I've heard that Mobil isn't what they used to be since they switched factories (not sure if this is a rumor) but the same person said that the people that send their oil to labs found that Rotella was better in comparison. Plus its only $20
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #36
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
I am still using Shell Rotella T. But if I can't find it I use Mobil 1( but only in the car/truck not in the dirt bikes)

The 40 wt vs 30 wt does not bother me. It is very warm around here
Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #37

Oreo5's Tacoma Gallery
So youve noticed less MPG using it by what you said about it not being energy conserving?

Is the 40 for operating in even higher temps than 30 would be? It gets to 100 degrees here with very high humidity.

You said you go 10,000 on your synthetic oil changes, do you change the oil filter every 5,000 though or only at 10,000? On my 07 the oil filter is on the top of the engine so i could do this, not sure about the 04.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #38

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo5 View Post
So youve noticed less MPG using it by what you said about it not being energy conserving?

Is the 40 for operating in even higher temps than 30 would be? It gets to 100 degrees here with very high humidity.

You said you go 10,000 on your synthetic oil changes, do you change the oil filter every 5,000 though or only at 10,000? On my 07 the oil filter is on the top of the engine so i could do this, not sure about the 04.

Thanks!
I have not noticed a change in MPG because it is not energy conserving. 40 is for higher temperatures vs 30wt. I do not change the filter between changes.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #39
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
T6

T6 all the way.
Shell full synthetic in all my cars & trucks.
Works great!
Check shell gas stations & other auto-care retailers.
U should be able to get it for $19 a gallon.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #40

Oreo5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man Marty View Post
T6 all the way.
Shell full synthetic in all my cars & trucks.
Works great!
Check shell gas stations & other auto-care retailers.
U should be able to get it for $19 a gallon.
What trucks do you have that you use it on?
If its the 07 TRD sport SR5, I have the same truck and would love to make the switch from Mobil 1.