LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Anyone use Shell Rotella T Synthetic

Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #41
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.
It is the '07 TRD sport.
T6 keeps the engine clean, & is great for MPG.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #42
Oreo5 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: RS
Oreo5's Tacoma Gallery
Okay...it's in there...
Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #43
Flymaker is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Prime Beef
Flymaker's Tacoma Gallery
Rotella is great oil.....I work for a major fire truck manufacturer and its what we use....I have used it in my last truck and my bike......I am currently using 5-30 mobil 1 in my Tacoma....but I will make the switch to rotella 5-40 next change.....you may lose a tad in gas mileage but its probably not enough to consider.....its still a 5w so cold starts wont be a issue....don't see any issues with it.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #44
Oreo5 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: RS
Oreo5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymaker View Post
Rotella is great oil.....I work for a major fire truck manufacturer and its what we use....I have used it in my last truck and my bike......I am currently using 5-30 mobil 1 in my Tacoma....but I will make the switch to rotella 5-40 next change.....you may lose a tad in gas mileage but its probably not enough to consider.....its still a 5w so cold starts wont be a issue....don't see any issues with it.
Excellent, thanks for the reassurance. Where is your fire truck factory? My dad retired as a FF a few years ago in California. The trucks sure have come a long way since 1921. I switched from Mobil 1 5w-30 and lately, maybe just because it's fresh oil, it feels and sounds a lot smoother
I'm really peticular when it comes to sounds and can tell when something is off, but in this case it seems better.

I'm likely wrong here but I thought the second number (30 or 40) was the one that had to do with temperature?

Thanks again!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #45
Suspiciousmind is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
Suspiciousmind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo5 View Post
Excellent, thanks for the reassurance. Where is your fire truck factory? My dad retired as a FF a few years ago in California. The trucks sure have come a long way since 1921. I switched from Mobil 1 5w-30 and lately, maybe just because it's fresh oil, it feels and sounds a lot smoother
I'm really peticular when it comes to sounds and can tell when something is off, but in this case it seems better.

I'm likely wrong here but I thought the second number (30 or 40) was the one that had to do with temperature?

Thanks again!
Both numbers have to do with temperature. Basically, a 5w-40 behaves like a straight 5w when it's cold so it flows well on cold starts. It behaves like a straight 40w at operating temperature.

That's it in a nutshell...You can research for details but you'll likely get overwhelmed by the details.