1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone use Shell Rotella T Synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by corrado007, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Dec 17, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    corrado007

corrado007 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum since I just found it today and usually post on customtacos. This place looks pretty cool too so I figured I'd give it a try.

I've done a search already and there is little discussion here on Shell Rotella T synthetic oil so I thought I'd see what you all think of using it in a first gen. 3.4L engine. I typically use Mobile1 5W30 but I've read a ton of good stuff about using Rotella for other vehicles and I now use it in my Honda CRV & Honda CBR motorcycle.

Anyone out there have any experience with this oil and have any comments they wouldn't mind sharing on it?

Thanks in advance & good to be here.

2. Dec 18, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    corrado007

corrado007 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    Anyone.....?
    I'm pretty surprised no one here has tried Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 in their Tacoma. From what I've read so far elsewhere it's supposed to be pretty decent stuff and an inexpensive alternative to some of the higher priced synthetics.

3. Dec 18, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Shell Rotella Synthetic is a good oil. I personally have not used it but I have read tons of favorable reviews of motorcyclists running it without issue.

4. Dec 18, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    I use the Rotella T 5-40 in my bike. Its aaight.

5. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    corrado007

corrado007 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    Yeah, I use it in both my wife's and my bike and it seems to do really well and I've read that CRV owners like it in their Hondas so I switched to it there and I figured I'd see if it's good for my Tacoma also. If it is I can just use one oil for all of my vehicles.
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. Anyone here using it in their V6 Tacoma?

6. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    We've been over this a lot here. It all basically boils down to:

- Use a brand-name synthetic oil
    - Change regularly

FWIW, I'm a Royal Purple guy.

7. Dec 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    corrado007

corrado007 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    I understand that oils are a highly discussed topic on many car forums and that most oils will suffice if changed regularly; I'm just looking to see if anyone has any specific knowledge or experience with this oil in a Tacoma.
    I know that if you use royal purple, mobil1, redline, etc... You will be good to go since those are all mainstream and frequently used oils. Just trying to save a few bucks and get all the vehicles on only one oil, but only if it's a good idea.
    Thanks for the reply though, I certainly hope my response didn't come across as rude as it was only intended as a clarification as to why I'm asking about the Rotella specifically.

8. Dec 19, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Not at all but...exactly what about Rotella is non-mainstream? It's made by Shell.

9. Dec 19, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    corrado007

corrado007 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    Yes, it's true that Rotella is made by Shell, a major oil company. I said it's non-mainstream because Rotella is known for being a diesel engine oil, not necessarily marketed for gasoline engine cars & trucks and motorcycles although it has been found to work quite well in motorcycles and some gasoline engines.

I know without a doubt Rotella is great in motorcycles since there have been a ton of people who have tried it and it's great on the wet clutch and people have testified to putting 100,00 miles + on their bike with it not to mention my own personal positive experiences using it in my bikes.

I'm just interested in hearing some experiences people have had with this "diesel oil" in their Tacomas to be sure it's a good decision to switch to it.

10. Dec 21, 2009 at 10:16 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    Rotella T is ok to use in bikes with wet clutches, because it carries the same non-friction modifier formula that expensive motorcycle oils have. The friction modifiers in gas vehicle motors will cause your bikes wet-sump clutch to slip.

Gas engine oils have friction modifiers that give them additional lubrication properties. Not sure that it would be beneficial to run in your gas engine.

Don't know why diesel motors don't require the friction modifiers that gas engines do. Maybe someone else knows.

IMO - I wouldn't use it in the Taco as it doesn't meet the oil rating requirements.

11. Dec 21, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    corrado007

corrado007 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    Thanks for your reply Buck

So you're saying that Rotella T synthetic (not a real synthetic, I know) doesn't have the friction modifiers that gasoline engines do so it won't provide adequate lubrication. Hmmm... I suppose I understand but it seems that if Rotella T syn provides adequate lubrication for a motorcycle that has roughly the same moving parts as a car but at higher RPMs,it would protect a car's gasoline equally well. No?

12. Dec 21, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    buck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    That's what I'm not clear on. Why do gasoline vehicle engines have friction modifiers in the oils, and diesel vehicle engines don't have the friction modifiers in the oils?!

It seems that diesel engine oils are not as 'slippery' as gas engine oils.

I'm going to look into this further and see if I can find out why.

13. Dec 21, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    buck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    As an observation, the oil in my motorcycle needs to be changed every 2000 miles, as that's when the transmission starts to get notchy shifting.

Maybe the friction modifiers are to make the oil last longer?!

14. Dec 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    corrado007

corrado007 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    Not sure about that, I really don't know too much about oil yet.
    The manual for my CBR F4i motorcycle calls for an oil change every 8K miles. I was surprised when I looked it up, I figured it would be more frequent since the engine and transmission share the oil.

15. Dec 22, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    buck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I am very sure about that. 2000 miles and my shifting gets notchy. This is with a reputable oil. Motul 5100 semi-synth. 8000 miles is way too long of an interval for a super sport, regardless of what the manual says.

Regarding oil, I did a little reading.

Our 2nd gens require an API 'SM' grade engine oil with an "energy conserving" designation. The recommended oil viscosity grade is 5W30, which gives best fuel economy and good cold starting. 10W30 can be used in a pinch, but should be changed to 5W30 at the following oil change.

The 'S' in the API designation stands for 'service' which means gas engine vehicles.

The 'M' in the API designation stands for the revision of the API standard. 'M' came out in 2004.

Shell Rotella T Triple Protection carries the most current API 'SM' grade and 'CJ-4' grade designations (amongst others). It appears to be geared towards heavy duty applications. It has additives to protect diesel particulate filters against build up.

The 'C' in the API designation stands for 'commercial' which means it's made for heavy duty diesel truck applications.

The 'J-4' means it is the most current API standard. 'J-4' was introduced in 2006.

Rotella T Triple comes in 15W40 and 10W30 grades. It appears to be a 'conventional' oil.

Rotella T5 comes in a 10W40 and 10W30 grade. It is a 'synthetic-blend' oil.

Rotella T6 comes in 5W40 only. It is a 'full-synthetic' oil.

The conclusion, Shell Rotella T oils meet the Toyota's requirement of an SM oil.... however, there is no 5W30 viscosity grade which Toyota recommends. Rotella T oils are also geared more for heavy duty commercial vehicles with regards to their additives. From my understanding, a specific SM 'energy conserving' grade oil will be better for fuel economy.

16. Dec 22, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    There is not much difference at all between a 5W30 and 10W30. The difference is solely in startup viscosity, and in warmer temperatures, should not make a noticeable difference.

I cant see there being any problems with running Rotella due to the different types of additives. If anything, you will have one hell of a clean engine as Rotella uses a large amount of detergent to keep soot deposits low that are common place in a diesel engine. FWIW I have run Rotella in a couple of my gas burners in the past with great results.

17. Dec 22, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    I use Rotella T synthetic(blue bottle) in all my quads and past quads. The stuff is awesome and affordable. 1 Gal for $20. As for the taco, I wouldn't dare. Like everyone says above, there are no friction modifiers.

18. Dec 23, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    corrado007

corrado007 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    I've also been doing a bit of searching and started a thread on an oil forum. Since it's a forum dedicated entirely to oil, there are quite a few oil gurus over there. I posted a question about the use of Shell Rotella T synthetic and Mobil 1 and figured I'd share the info here as well with fellow Tacoma owners in case anyone is interested in using Rotella or Mobil in their truck. According to these guys, what it boils down to is that you can use Rotella and it'll work just fine but cost-wise it's about the same as Mobil 1. Since Mobil 1 comes in 5 qt jugs like the V6 uses and they have more "flavors" (Truck & SUV, Extended performance, high mileage, etc...), I've opted to stay with Mobil 1 Truck & SUV. I realize some of you guys aren't believers in the use of Rotella T synthetic in your Tacomas and that's fine, I'm just sharing some info from some guys who do a lot of research into various oils(these guys send their used oil off to labs for analysis to see how it held up etc...) for those of you that are interested.
    Also, thanks so much everyone who contributed their knowledge on the subject. :)

19. Dec 23, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    I use Shell Rotella T in all my vehicles, motorcycles, cars, trucks. It is a great oil and the price is right. The 5W-40 vs 5W-30 is not an issue IMO. The 5W is for cold weather and start-up and the 40 is for higher temperature use. My manual on the 04 Taco calls for API SL and the Rotella T meets SM which is the latest API rating. API always makes the latest API ratiing cover the older rating.

I did a lot of research before I chose Rotella T. The manual calls for "energy conserving" this is for gas mileage. The Rotella T does not have energy conserving additives. They would make the clutch slip on the motorcycles, it a trade off i am willing to make.

20. Jan 2, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    Suspiciousmind

Suspiciousmind Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco 4x4 ext cab
    I have rotella t6 in my 02 v6 4runner...it's in my 90 miata... It'll be in my 99 Tacoma v6 when it's due for a change....it'll be in my mowers and anything else 4 cycle that needs oil.

It's a fleet oil designed for multiple applications....I've done lots of research and i'm convinced there's nothing better for the price.

Products Discussed in

To Top