Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Locking Diff vs. Slip Diff.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Locking Diff vs. Slip Diff.

K... thanks for dealing with me while I ask a slightly stupid Q..

My '99 pre-runner TRD off-road had a rear locking diff (button on dash)

Just bought a newly used '07 pre-runner sport DC LB.. at first I was bummed that he didn't get it with the locking diff, but now am reading that the sports come with full-time slip diffs..

what is the main differences and what can I get into and what not with the slip diff.. do all TRD sports have the slip diff?

Thanks..
Old 03-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
the LSD is best for normal on road use and the locking differential is for off-road use only. The LSD will not distribute equal amounts of torque, like the locker can; but the LSD is on full time.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
So.. I would throw on the locking diff when I would go slight off-road (nothing to wild - and probably didn't even need it).

Anyone know the environmental limits of the slip diff?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
that's a hard question to answer, since I can't compare it on and off. I've almost gotten stuck in some slippery mud, but I'm not sure how far I was from being stuck. I'd feel better offroading with the locker because I would leave the locker off until I got stuck, then I'd still have the option to turn the locker on.

If you want to add the locker, I think you lose out on the LSD.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:10 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Yes, absolutely.

Both require changing the differential carrier, and both would require setting up your gears again.

You can't have both.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
K... thanks for dealing with me while I ask a slightly stupid Q..

My '99 pre-runner TRD off-road had a rear locking diff (button on dash)

Just bought a newly used '07 pre-runner sport DC LB.. at first I was bummed that he didn't get it with the locking diff, but now am reading that the sports come with full-time slip diffs..

what is the main differences and what can I get into and what not with the slip diff.. do all TRD sports have the slip diff?

Thanks..
"The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked..."

These guys have really answered your questions. The LSD is great in most situations. It really shines when you are towing and have minimal weight on the rear axle on a slippery surface.

The only bad thing about the LSD (and why I am a bit bummed I am getting it in my new truck) is that the TRD LSD is clutch driven. Therefore, the clutch can wear out (just ask the X-Runner guys). It may take a while, but you will need to replace it far down the road. How far down the road depends on how you drive. The good news is that it will continue to work as an open differential even after the LSD clutch has burned up. So, it is reliable, but it does require maintenance.

I hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
Burban05 is on a distinguished road
Burban05's Tacoma Gallery
Go Lockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
that's a hard question to answer, since I can't compare it on and off. I've almost gotten stuck in some slippery mud, but I'm not sure how far I was from being stuck. I'd feel better offroading with the locker because I would leave the locker off until I got stuck, then I'd still have the option to turn the locker on.

IF you know anything about offroading, you know that anyslip can kill you. as soon as you loose momentum. locked differentials mean that the tires always spin and dont slip. and you cant just get stuck then lock the differentials in when your stuck and expect to get out. put the truck in 4lo, lock the differentials use second gear. no rockcrawler has limited slip. every real offroader has at least welded axles.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe another term for the glossary," Lincoln Locker" as in Lincoln Arc Welder.Refering to welded spider gears.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burban05 View Post
and you cant just get stuck then lock the differentials in when your stuck and expect to get out. put the truck in 4lo, lock the differentials use second gear. no rockcrawler has limited slip. every real offroader has at least welded axles.
Ummm.... I've gotten stuck many times and reached down and engaged my locker/s and was easily able to get out. It's most fun when you're climbing an extreme hill climb and you start loosing momentum on the way up. Your vehicle is sitting in one spot with 2 wheels turning.... reach down, engage rear and alot of times, the front locker and.........boom, you're going up the hill again.

Real offroaders have welded axles? That's news to me....
The HARD CORE & extreme offroaders have welded spider gears. They also have heavy duty axles too (like Dana 60's, rockwells, and portals).
Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
IF you know anything about offroading, you know that anyslip can kill you. as soon as you loose momentum. locked differentials mean that the tires always spin and dont slip. and you cant just get stuck then lock the differentials in when your stuck and expect to get out. put the truck in 4lo, lock the differentials use second gear. no rockcrawler has limited slip. every real offroader has at least welded axles.
there is no need to be a prick. please take your attitude elsewhere. TW is a fun loving forum.

I'm aware how important momentum is. I don't take my truck offroading, but I've been mountain biking for 15 years. Fat guys like myself depend on that momentum to get us through the rolling hills.

By the way, you seem to have almost completely missed my point. I was saying that I would rather not push my truck to its limits when I've got nothing else up my sleeve.

Thanks Janster.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Ummm.... I've gotten stuck many times and reached down and engaged my locker/s and was easily able to get out. It's most fun when you're climbing an extreme hill climb and you start loosing momentum on the way up. Your vehicle is sitting in one spot with 2 wheels turning.... reach down, engage rear and alot of times, the front locker and.........boom, you're going up the hill again.

Real offroaders have welded axles? That's news to me....
The HARD CORE & extreme offroaders have welded spider gears. They also have heavy duty axles too (like Dana 60's, rockwells, and portals).

at least welded axles is what i said... i was just saying... if u dont want to get stuck, then u need to obviously alread in 4, and its better when your already locked... but ya. im sure u already knew this but hill climbing is one of the reasons the new tacoma's have the clutch start cancel switch... when u get almost all the way up and your truck cuts off from loosing oil pressure, u leave it in first and use the starter to get u the rest of the way up... but ya i thought that was cool when my bro told me that... my cj5 has rockwells under it but right now it only has 40s but im gonna get the 6.67s for it and run 57s.. and the axles under it are welded too...
Old 03-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #13
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
at least welded axles is what i said... i was just saying... if u dont want to get stuck, then u need to obviously alread in 4, and its better when your already locked... but ya. im sure u already knew this but hill climbing is one of the reasons the new tacoma's have the clutch start cancel switch... when u get almost all the way up and your truck cuts off from loosing oil pressure, u leave it in first and use the starter to get u the rest of the way up... but ya i thought that was cool when my bro told me that... my cj5 has rockwells under it but right now it only has 40s but im gonna get the 6.67s for it and run 57s.. and the axles under it are welded too...
Never had any vehicle cut off because of oil pressure.... I wouldn't use your clutch cancel switch all that often or else you'll destroy your starter. Personally....I WOULD NOT trust the starter to drive me up an extreme hill climb sitation. I'd rather back-up and try it again or bypass the obstacle completely.

40's? 57's? That's huge.... What kind of suspension do you have to run something like that? How much flex do you have? Doesn't sound like you've had much flex at all.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
ya my brother is a fabricator... he has built everthing for the lift.... the axles are stretched as much as possible... it flexes pretty good though... like 10-12 inches...