1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

30k Maintenance

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Festerihi, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dec 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    Festerihi

Festerihi [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Crew Cab
    Hey everyone,

Although I have lurked for a while, this is my first post to the forums. I just recently crossed 30,000 miles on my 06 Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab. I have replaced the oil at the dealership with Castrol Synthetic about every 3k miles since they threw in a few free oil changes when I bought it, but I don't really know anything about regular maintenance. Can I now go like 5k or more miles without changing the oil with synthetic (that stupid light keeps going off)?

I saw the great website some members made with all of the suggested maintenance to do, but my question is do all of those things need to be done and can I actually do them all without it taking forever and possibly messing something up? Should I do some while letting the dealership do others? Can I take it to the dealership and they will actually let me know everything that needs to be done, or is it just by the book?

I have a few good $100 and $50 dollar dealership coupons, so how many of you would go for the extra 200 bucks for the time and lack of hassle? Also, how many of you use other mechanic places instead of the dealership?

I know its a barrage of questions, but I appreciate anyone who knows more than my absolute ignorance to help me out.

2. Dec 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    welcome to tw.

honestly....i would do the maintenance myself....if you have the tools and such to do so.

if you have the v6...spark plugs need to be changed(4 cyl is good for 100k miles)...oil needs to be changed....rear diff fluid needs to be changed...and the rest is mostly visual. rotate the tires while you are at it. all of it is really easy stuff to do. if say...you do get the dealer to do anything...like changing the plugs..tell them you want the old plugs back...make sure they actually did it.

3. Dec 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Getting ready to do mine too. Welcome to TW and if you want to do a lot of reading, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and you'll find several 30k service threads.

To Chris4x4 if he stops in here-I need to follow my own advice huh Chris?:eek:

4. Dec 27, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top