Notices

Error Code P0125

Old 01-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
twistedtuk is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
twistedtuk's Tacoma Gallery
Error Code P0125

Hello,
I just joined this forum for a little help. I have a 1998 Tacoma. I love this truck. I have had a check engine light on for months. I have received numerous error codes.
I have replaced the Front 02 sensor, replaced the Air Filter, Fuel Filter, cleaned the MAF Sensor, cleaned the throttle body, and changed the Coolant Temperature Sensor.
The latest error code was the coolant temp sensor. I replaced the Coolant Temperature Sensor yesterday and reset the light. The light came right back on. I had it checked again and received Error Code P0125 (closed loop fuel control insufficient coolant temperature. I used a meter to check the ohms on the 02 sensor and both front and rear read what my Chilton books say they should. My book also says to check at the engine side of the wire for voltage with the switch on. There is no voltage at the connector to both the 02 sensors. My book suggest checking the fuse but I have not been able to find the correct one. Does anyone have any idea.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

That code on the earlier trucks (yours) is most likely pointing to the bank 1 sensor 1 A/F sensor. Check the connections, and make sure they are sound.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevhogaz's Tacoma Gallery
What Chris said. I just went over the flow chart for repair, it pretty much directs you right to the A/F sensor. If your showing zero voltage, then I'd have to say it's bad.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Thanks for the information. Don't want to seem dumb, but what is the A/F sensor and where is it?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
mass air flow sensor. it's on your air intake.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtuk View Post
Thanks for the information. Don't want to seem dumb, but what is the A/F sensor and where is it?
Its an Air/ Fuel Sensor. Its on the exhaust pipe, closest to the engine.

http://ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Repair%2...ensor/comp.pdf
Old 01-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Its an Air/ Fuel Sensor. Its on the exhaust pipe, closest to the engine.

http://ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Repair%2...ensor/comp.pdf
oh my bad
Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
oh my bad
Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
Thanks, I do seem dumb. I just figured it out before you guys posted. I disconnected the 02 sensor and checked the voltage coming from the engine side of the wiring and found no voltage. The 02 sensor checked out ok per the Chilton maual. I have replaced this 02 sensor about 6 months ago. I can try putting the original one back in and seeing if it works.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
I found the answer just before you guys posted. thanks.
I disconnected the 02 sensor and checked the voltage at the engine side of the wiring and got no voltage. I checked the 02 sensor and it had the ohm's that the Chilton book said it should have. I could put the original sensor back in to see what it would do.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
Sorry for the duplicate post. The first one didn't show up on my screen so I thought I didn't hit the reply button.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtuk View Post
Sorry for the duplicate post. The first one didn't show up on my screen so I thought I didn't hit the reply button.
No worries. Keep us posted on this issue.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
Ok, update. I just took out my internet purchased 02 sensor that looked nothing like my original.
I just drove the truck 10 miles and the light didn't come back on. Driving to work tomorrow will be 60 miles round trip starting at 4:30 a.m. I hope this does the trick. If not, I'll let you know.
Thanks to everyone that responded to my question.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
ShankOttawa is on a distinguished road
ShankOttawa's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Guys!! Similar problem at my end... I have code P0171 and P0125. I know 0171 is MAF, mine was just cleaned las week and code is back. It must be cooked...
re: 0125... I'm confused as to whether it's the ECT of O2 sensors... I was going to change my O2 sensors anyway... should I wait and see what that'll do before changing the ECT?

FYI: I have 99, 3.4L V6, 4x4, 5spd.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankOttawa View Post
Hey Guys!! Similar problem at my end... I have code P0171 and P0125. I know 0171 is MAF, mine was just cleaned las week and code is back. It must be cooked...
re: 0125... I'm confused as to whether it's the ECT of O2 sensors... I was going to change my O2 sensors anyway... should I wait and see what that'll do before changing the ECT?

Thanks!
For the P0125 code, replace the bank 1 sensor 1 A/F sensor.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankOttawa View Post

Thanks!
Fix the P0171 first, and see if the P0125 comes back. When you fix these things, always tackle the code that is first on the scan tool as the number 1 code. A lot of times, one code will set another code, and so on.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
Fix the P0171 first, and see if the P0125 comes back. When you fix these things, always tackle the code that is first on the scan tool as the number 1 code. A lot of times, one code will set another code, and so on.
Great point!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #18
Low Speed, High Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Great point!
Yup, learned that one the hard way.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
yup, learned that one the hard way.
lol!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
Hey guys,
After putting in the old 02 sensor and driving about 100 miles, no check engine light. Truck seems to accelerate better than it has in months. I had a bad coolant temperature sensor at first but I thought it was the 02 sensor. The replacement I bought was not the proper one.