1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slight ticking sound emitting from dash with blower on?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TacoNJ, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Jan 6, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    TacoNJ

TacoNJ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport SR5 Access Cab
    Hi All,Still kinda new to the forums here. Bought myself an 06 TRD Sport A/C about 2 months ago. Love the truck so far!What I've noticed over the past couple days is a minor ticking sound that appears to be coming from behind the glove compartment. This happens only with the heat/AC on meaning if the blower is blowing, its there. Turn it off and its gone. It doesn't get louder with fan speed in case that matters and the heat works just fine.Anyone have an idea what might be causing this? Its more of a minor annoyance than anything and I bought a complete bumper to bumper warranty from Toyota when I bought the truck so it should be fixed at no cost. Just curious if anyone knows what this might be...Thanks!pete

2. Jan 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    kevhogaz

kevhogaz Low Speed, High Drag

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    3" lift front & rear, Air Raid Intake System
    A leaf in the fan cage? Does it get louder when the fan speed is increased?

3. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    TacoNJ

TacoNJ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    Nope. Doesn't sound like leaves and it doesn't get louder as fan speed increases. I was thinkig the blower motor possibly? Anyone know where its located?? Thanks!

4. Jan 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    kevhogaz

kevhogaz Low Speed, High Drag

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    3" lift front & rear, Air Raid Intake System
    It's on the right side, up under the dash in the passenger side footwell. Usually held in with three bolts, not too hard to drop it down and see what's going on in there.

5. Jan 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    No way! I have an 07 DC and jsut the other day i noticed the same thing. thats crazy...it is definitely mechanical as the sound ticks at a certain rate and does not get louder or quieter depending on the level of the blower. i was hitting buttons and and turning knobs before i finally figured out where that was coming from. Sunday after church is when i noticed it.

Sorry i dont have an answer for you but at least i can provide a validation:)

6. Jan 6, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    HARDSHELLTACO

HARDSHELLTACO HoofHearted

Member:
    First Name:
    McLovin
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
  7. Jan 7, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    TacoNJ

TacoNJ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
  8. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    yodaman

yodaman Active Member

Member:
    Bellingham
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4 V6 Automatic
    Yokohama tires Skyjacker canopy add more later
    I didn't look at the attachment but this is an easy fix. It's a definite design flaw because many of us our experiencing it. Just take the blower out of the dash and manipulate the last two screws. I've not had a problem in weeks...or you can deal with the stealership putting in the same crappy blower.

9. Mar 4, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    HARDSHELLTACO

HARDSHELLTACO HoofHearted

Member:
    First Name:
    McLovin
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I must warn you, Since this post began i have learned that the two screws fix is only temporary and the sound will come back. I actually think that this could possibly damage the blower motor over the long run. There are more posts on this subject that i will try to find that tell you how to take the blower assembly apart and grease the motor shaft to stop the noise. I did this as well and it is dead silent now. I think when the screws are adjusted on the bottom, the motor brushes begin to dig in to the armature because there was a ton of metal shavings/dust when i opened up the motor. I used permatex white lithium grease. I will dig deeper on this after i eat.

Products Discussed in

To Top