Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

I need a new clutch soon

Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
ERikV is on a distinguished road
ERikV's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy I might need a new clutch soon

Hey i had to learn to drive stick some how........just kidding.

But ya its been worn down. Basically its not their yet but its close, its catching high.

What parts are actually replaced when a new clutch is needed. I know the process is not cheap and not something i could do myself. So much for the cheap mods i might have gotten.

Question, another stock clutch or after market. I know its gonna be costly anyhow so i might as well get something good. Ive seen Centerforce clutches for like 400 bucks. I kinda wanna get something better than stock.

I have no idea whats good or what i should go with. fill me in please.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
It's been a decade since I've swapped a clutch. How many miles do you have on it?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
No useful info from me either. lol My 98 Corolla needed a new clutch about 4 years ago. I let an ex's father do it in his garage. Less than 1,000 miles later I was replacing the whole tranny because something blew up. I managed to limp it back a mile or so to the local repair shop. Needless to say I don't have him do work anymore! So whatever you do, have a reputable shop or dealer do it. Unless you know how to do it yourself. I forget how much it was gonna cost at the shop I eventually went to. The ex's father charged me $300. Thought I was saving money, but it cost more in the long run. Should've just paid more to begin with. Would've saved money in the long run.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
ERikV is on a distinguished road
ERikV's Tacoma Gallery
I know, its a big ass process and ya, its 4wd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
It's been a decade since I've swapped a clutch. How many miles do you have on it?
108,000 or so I did learn on it and smelled it a few times but i doubt that put a huge dent in it. I shift fine now.

It was 60% . Is it something you can have adjusted. I really know nothing when it comes to this kind of tech stuff.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:26 AM   #5
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
I know im new here and all but i might have some useful info on this for you.

I had a 2000 taco 5 speed. at about 70,000 miles my clutch started to catch close to the top and i was looking into buying another one but i decided to let it fail completely before i replaced it. I didnt know how the previous 2 owners drove it so i wanted to wait untill it was completely dead first. Well to make a long story short, toyota just bought that truck back because of rust with 145,000 miles on it and the same clutch.

Dont know if that helps or not.

I put over 60k on it with it catching close to the top. Hydrolic clutches can fool you sometimes. So ive been told...I dont know a whole lot but i do know some...

Maybe somebody else can chime in with some more useful info for you...
Old 05-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
aaronk is on a distinguished road
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't necessarily judge clutch wear by clutch engagement point. I had a 94 Toyota Pickup with 180,000 on the original clutch. It grabbed at the top of the pedal but the clutch held fine and never slipped. Bottom line is if the clutch start slipping you KNOW it's worn and you should replace it ASAP.