Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Taco Radio Problems

Old 01-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
The One The Only
rhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitchell
rhion82's Tacoma Gallery
Taco Radio Problems

Well today when I went to go to the gym I noticed that my radio was not working right. It would not turn on unless I hit the eject switch. Even after I did that the numbers on the display would not come on like it was just a blank screen.. I could not play a CD change the FM1 to FM2 or AM. Only thing I could do was turn the volume up or down and change the station by the knobs. I checked some of the fuses to see if they had been blown but nothing was noticeably different. I'm stuck and I dont know what to do! Please help lol......
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I didnt have the exact same problem as you but when I bought my 06" brand new, it didnt have any radio reception at all so I couldnt pick up any stations. They had to order a whole new radio and swap it out. Then the second time my radio started cutting in and out but that was an alternator problem, not the radios.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
kws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kws129's Tacoma Gallery
You might want to check with Toyota, I won't swear that there is a STB on this but I have talked to several people who have had the "phantom radio" problem.

I think the biggest problem right now is that if you need a new radio it's a couple month back order since they had a bunch going bad.

But I would check with Toyota they may replace it for you.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
kws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kws129's Tacoma Gallery
'STB' what the......#$^@##. I mean TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)
Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Sound like its time for a Touchscreen Double Din
Old 01-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
The One The Only
rhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhion82's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just afraid that I have to replace it cause I didnt buy from a Toyota Dealer and its a 05. I will go and check to see if all the other lights still work on it.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
The One The Only

rhion82's Tacoma Gallery
Well when I got in my truck yesterday morning, to my suprise the radio started to play loud as it could. For some reason it just started working again. So hopefully it won't get infected by the "Tacoma Ghost" again or I might just have to call the Ghost Busters.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
sethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Missile Maint Tech, 2 Muns
Name: Seth
sethr21785's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma stereos are horrible. My truck is an 09 and my stereo is always turning itself off, lights dont work most of the time, get weird messages on the screen. Toyota ordered me a new one a few months ago and I am still waiting on it. backorder
Old 01-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
i used to have the phantom radio in the summer, but now since its gotten colder the ghost seems to have gone into hibernation.
usually when it started acting up i would just give the screen a good push it would work for a while. it seems like there are loose connections in there that just need a jostling every now and then.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Fever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to behold
Fever's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2010 and the radio does not cut out like others are reporting and I get radio reception but it is very poor. Radio stations come in but with static, very much below what I would expect.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
neoimpaler is on a distinguished road
neoimpaler's Tacoma Gallery
i got a 09 tacoma, during the summer it wouldnt work right. weird stuff. could only change stations/song with steering wheel, volume knob wouldnt work...it even shut itself off when iput the emergency brake in once.

called the dealer, the lady on the phone laughed. apperently it had happened before. they ordered a new one, installed it, no charge, and its worked fine ever since
Old 03-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough

Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
09 here. Mine turns off/on by itself, changes stations by itself and turns on the CD player by itself. I talked to the dealer and they said they would order me a new one. They said there were a lot of complaints about the radio in Tacoma's. They were back ordered for quite some time. Mine is supposed to be in this Sat. I am taking it by there to have it replaced. Hopefully they do not screw anything up doing the swap.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever View Post
I have 2010 and the radio does not cut out like others are reporting and I get radio reception but it is very poor. Radio stations come in but with static, very much below what I would expect.
The stock radio has the sensitivity of a brick.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
blackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
blackwidow2009's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhion82 View Post
Well today when I went to go to the gym I noticed that my radio was not working right. It would not turn on unless I hit the eject switch. Even after I did that the numbers on the display would not come on like it was just a blank screen.. I could not play a CD change the FM1 to FM2 or AM. Only thing I could do was turn the volume up or down and change the station by the knobs. I checked some of the fuses to see if they had been blown but nothing was noticeably different. I'm stuck and I dont know what to do! Please help lol......

ok, I read this and all the ones under it (now, above this one lol). I have an '09 and have had the same problems...on/off, no display, no control, hyrogliphic display. Had the radio replaced twice now, they said that there was bad sodering inside from the manufature...some Chinesse company that Toyota buys them from. It only acts up when the radio is hot; like it the summer with no AC on, or even in winter with the heat cranked and the radio loud. If this is the only problem, it is totally do-able. haha
Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
tacoballs will become famous soon enough

Name: Jeffrey
tacoballs's Tacoma Gallery
i have a stock 05 radio thats just been sitting in my garage for a couple yearsss id be willing to ship it to u to see if it works out or something adn if it works you could spot me a little cash back if not you can keep itt
Old 11-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #16
Rotary12 is on a distinguished road
Rotary12's Tacoma Gallery
My '10 is now starting to mysteriously shut off at random times. Pushing the power button turns it back on, but I'm concerned how much the dealer will charge if it fails now. It's not like you can replace it with an aftermarket radio.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #17
texascolt45 is a jewel in the roughtexascolt45 is a jewel in the roughtexascolt45 is a jewel in the roughtexascolt45 is a jewel in the rough
Name: mike
texascolt45's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota changed my radio twice when it was new,the third one is starting to screw up again,you might check and see what they will do.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #18
Rotary12 is on a distinguished road
Rotary12's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I'll do that.