Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

A-TRAC/TRAC/AUTO LSD Explained (Easy to understand, I hope!)

Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #1281
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

That is exactly the procedure you have to follow when offroading in the tacoma! Now in its defense it works pretty well but sometimes I felt like I was preparing for flight!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #1282
0ri0n is on a distinguished road
Name: Orion
0ri0n's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestoy View Post
I have a 2013 TRD/OR 4.0L Automatic.
This is my first Toyota truck ever. I live in Maine where we have four seasons. It is winter now and my question is this.
On snow, ice, and slush covered roads what is the best way to set the vehicle 2WD and H4 modes in.
Also once set will they stay activated all the time or will I have to reset everytime I shut the vehicle off.
Thanks for your advice.
I have a 2013 2x4 Prerunner. I wanted to know what mode if best for driving in heavy snow with chains/cables on your tires.

Also why would you ever want to have "open differentials"

Sorry if this was already covered, I only got through the first 25 pages. Great thread!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #1283
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ri0n View Post
I have a 2013 2x4 Prerunner. I wanted to know what mode if best for driving in heavy snow with chains/cables on your tires.

Also why would you ever want to have "open differentials"

Sorry if this was already covered, I only got through the first 25 pages. Great thread!
Hi Orion (The Hunter),

The only time you would select VSC OFF MODE (open differentials without traction control) is to let the tire(s) spin freely to clean off the tread from snow or mud or to act like a goofball and spin around. Having open differentials, as all Tacomas have (except '05-'08 Sports, in the rear), makes steering easy and less mechanical problems.

This is why Low 4WD without A-TRAC is so 'weak' compared to High Range 4WD with TRAC ON. I can climb a grade further in H4 (normal TRAC ON mode) than L4 with A-TRAC Off.

The non-Off Road TRD 4WD Tacomas do so much better after performing the 4-Low Trac Mod, to fool the truck so TRAC works for them in L4. Those of us with the Off Road TRD should push the A-TRAC button and always have A-TRAC on standby when you go into Low Range.

As for your first question... the standard mode in H2 and H4 (TRAC ON) is best for almost all driving. In L4, have A-TRAC on standby by pressing the button when you go into L4, and it will always be on standby until you push it again.

The only times to use AUTO LSD is if you don't want to use 4WD... to move from a stop should one tire spin... and if you are in snow or mud:
H4 is better than H2 with AUTO LSD to get moving.
H2 with AUTO LSD is better than H2 with TRAC to get moving... as AUTO LSD is TRAC, but without engine output regulation.

In H4, TRAC already is free of the regulation (2009-2011), so it is like AUTO LSD, but on all 4 tires... Now, we had some discussion about some changes made in 2012, which (if I recall correctly) changed the wording of the modes in H4.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #1284
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Hi Orion (The Hunter),

The only time you would select VSC OFF MODE (open differentials without traction control) is to let the tire(s) spin freely to clean off the tread from snow or mud or to act like a goofball and spin around. Having open differentials, as all Tacomas have (except '05-'08 Sports, in the rear), makes steering easy and less mechanical problems.

This is why Low 4WD without A-TRAC is so 'weak' compared to High Range 4WD with TRAC ON. I can climb a grade further in H4 (normal TRAC ON mode) than L4 with A-TRAC Off.

The non-Off Road TRD 4WD Tacomas do so much better after performing the 4-Low Trac Mod, to fool the truck so TRAC works for them in L4. Those of us with the Off Road TRD should push the A-TRAC button and always have A-TRAC on standby when you go into Low Range.

As for your first question... the standard mode in H2 and H4 (TRAC ON) is best for almost all driving. In L4, have A-TRAC on standby by pressing the button when you go into L4, and it will always be on standby until you push it again.

The only times to use AUTO LSD is if you don't want to use 4WD... to move from a stop should one tire spin... and if you are in snow or mud:
H4 is better than H2 with AUTO LSD to get moving.
H2 with AUTO LSD is better than H2 with TRAC to get moving... as AUTO LSD is TRAC, but without engine output regulation.

In H4, TRAC already is free of the regulation (2009-2011), so it is like AUTO LSD, but on all 4 tires... Now, we had some discussion about some changes made in 2012, which (if I recall correctly) changed the wording of the modes in H4.
He has a Prerunner
Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #1285
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
That is exactly the procedure you have to follow when offroading in the tacoma! Now in its defense it works pretty well but sometimes I felt like I was preparing for flight!
Actually, the having 9 modes (or 10 now?) all controlled by a dial or buttons is more entertaining than necessity.

For nearly every condition, no buttons are touched in H2 or H4, and in L4 only the A-TRAC button needs to be touched ONCE, and never again (unless it gets pushed on accident or you disconnect the battery).

TRAC works great, specially in 4WD... as I have proved (at least to myself) when I compared to my 2005 Tacoma in the same places. TRAC took me places that required either deflating tires before, or low range before.

A-TRAC is simply amazing as it has taken me all the places that I previously needed a locker for, and more... out of places I would have needed a buddy with a tow strap or winch to pull me out! I have never been stuck with the A-TRAC Tacoma... and I have tried many times (it's fun trying)... You may have seen the video of me easily pulling another truck up the Diablo Dropoff... and I have pulled others too, in snow and in dirt, with A-TRAC.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #1286

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
He has a Prerunner
OK... then only the 2WD advice applies to him, right? Here is just for the 2WDs:

The only times to use AUTO LSD is to move from a stop should one tire spin... and if you are in snow or mud:

IF you are a 2WD OFF ROAD, then the rear locker beats AUTO LSD!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #1287
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK... then only the 2WD advice applies to him, right?
Yep
Old 02-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #1288
SSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura about
SSG665's Tacoma Gallery
So do all 2013 V6 prerunner's have ATRAC?Basic and SR5 models?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #1289

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG665 View Post
So do all 2013 V6 prerunner's have ATRAC?Basic and SR5 models?
A Prerunner is what Toyota calls some of their 2WD Tacomas. A-TRAC is a 4WD system on the 4WD Off Road Tacomas, since 2009.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #1290
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
... ^^^ ... LOL ... I like that vid of the ... "space guy" pushing all the buttons ... good one ... and true ...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #1291
SSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura about
SSG665's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 03 Trd Dcab prerunner v6 with the rear locker button.I am considering upgrading to a 13, but would like to go w just a n Sr5 dcab v6 for the smoother ride.I do light offroading for hunting and do not want just an open rear axle.Will the sr5 not have a LSD rear,just one wheel spinning?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #1292
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have an 03 Trd Dcab prerunner v6 with the rear locker button.I am considering upgrading to a 13, but would like to go w just a n Sr5 dcab v6 for the smoother ride.I do light offroading for hunting and do not want just an open rear axle.Will the sr5 not have a LSD rear,just one wheel spinning?
no 09+ come with a mechanical LSD any more, only the autoLSD. if you want something better than the open w/ autoLSD, you'll need to either go for an off road or add something after the fact.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #1293
SSG665's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so they do have an auto LSD.Just don't want to get stuck w a rear that only spins one tire..Thx
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #1294

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok so they do have an auto LSD.Just don't want to get stuck w a rear that only spins one tire..Thx
ALL Tacomas since 2009 have TRAC electronic/ brake created limited slip traction control, on an open differential. They all also have AUTO LSD, which is a select-able feature to increase the force to stop wheel spin (because of no engine output restriction).

It works, but still is not the same as having equal power to both tires as a rear locker provides.

On a wet day make a turn from a stop, first with just the standard TRAC, then again with the AUTO LSD on and compare. To see what it was like before any traction control, turn off the system altogether (stop moving, press and hold down the VSC button for 3-5 seconds, lights comes on)... and make the turn from a stop on a wet road... An uphill turn exaggerates the benefit of traction control more!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #1295
0ri0n is on a distinguished road
Name: Orion
0ri0n's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK... then only the 2WD advice applies to him, right? Here is just for the 2WDs:

The only times to use AUTO LSD is to move from a stop should one tire spin... and if you are in snow or mud:

IF you are a 2WD OFF ROAD, then the rear locker beats AUTO LSD!
Cool, makes sense, thanks!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #1296
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Glad I found this thread!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #1297
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a video I found that demonstrates ATRAC in action. The video is full of examples but pay paticular attention @ 1:15 here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKl3...e_gdata_player
Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #1298
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
I just returned from testing out my ATrac. I live near the MS river and the levee gets really steep in places. I found a sweet spot that's really friggen steep and made multiple attempts to climb it. 4H with out any button pushing was OK and would have got the job done if I were willing to get more of a running start, but that wouldn't have helped me understand the settings at all cause everybody knows that with enough skinny pedal you make it though most things.

Anyway, things got interesting when I went in 4L with ATrac ON and Diff Lock OFF, I started up this incline and made it about half way up then the wheels started to spin. Now to me it seemed like instinc to let off when the wheels spin but in all my reading about ATrac, I learned to just keep easing into the gas cause ATrac works best from 2000 to 3500 RPM. Well I did just that, I was on the side of that hill spinning my tires and I could hear and feel ATrac kicking in but I wasn't moving still. I stayed on the skinny pedal and watched my RPMs to try to keep em around 3Kish or so. Inside the truck the sounds coming from the systems were getting LOUD and didn't sound great but it still fealt like it was working. I stopped backed my way down again and engaged the Diff Lock. Once again I made it to the same spot (same little ruts I dug from last attempt) and started spinning but this time ATrac sounded MUCH more calm steady so to speak I guess cause it was only working on the front end, and I could feel it too. I stayed in the gas and when I got just over 3K RPMs it fealt like the ATrac came alive and the truck started moving forward. As soon as I noticed the movement I held the RPMs steady and ATrac pulled me right on up this hill. So after reading and learning about this system and actually seeing it in action I am amazed. I am SO glad I dropped the extra cash for the Off Road package.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #1299
crooks420 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
crooks420's Tacoma Gallery

I wish they would have offered TRD on a 2012 dbl cab long bed 4x4.....
Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #1300
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks420 View Post

I wish they would have offered TRD on a 2012 dbl cab long bed 4x4.....
they do...just not an OR