Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

A-TRAC/TRAC/AUTO LSD Explained (Easy to understand, I hope!)

Old 06-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #1361
Stewtopia is on a distinguished road
Stewtopia's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

Your posts are great and have been really helpful. I have had my truck (same as yours) for about a year and I just took it on some trails and to the beach. Seems like every question I had you had a post for it. It had just rained and I wasn't sure how deep I could go through puddles. Saw your mod. Thought it odd that A-Trac was not on in H2 and thought I was looking at it the wrong way. Was nice to hear someone else think the same. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Here is my girl's first trip to the beach.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #1362
jvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
jvswaim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
You are evaluating the need for the extras of an Off Road... that is wise. All 4WD Tacomas have a 2 speed transfer case, so you will get low range, even if you don't ever use it.

There is a great advantage to driving slow over rough terrain as well as having the gears/ engine compression creep you down steep grades so the brakes are not over-used. Low Range is the great part of having a true 4WD vehicle and not an AWD one, without a low range.

Naturally is you never really go off road, but only need improved traction on slippery roads, sand, or snow... low range is not required. However, if pulling, climbing, descending in off road (bad dirt roads) situations, then a low range is indeed an asset. Adding a limited slip or locker to it, is all the better to not get stuck or be halted by the terrain.

The Off Road TRD does NOT have fluff (beyond the decals). There isn't any color matching trim, fake hood scoop, etc. That would be the SPORT. Yes, a V-6 has more power and uses more fuel. Here is California I only get 15-16 mpg city and 18-19 mpg highway.. maybe more if the truck is unloaded.
I'm aware that all 4WD have H and L, just saying that I probably wouldn't need to use the Lo range on the roads that I drive on. But clearly you hard core wheelers need it, along with the A-TRAC/elocker of the TRD OR pkg.

However, all the TRD pkgs as well as the SR5 do indeed have the "fluff" of body colored flares, not just the Sport. Without TRD Sport/OR or SR5, you get the black flares and bumpers, which I really like. And by fluff, I also mean stuff like radio controls on the steering wheel, remote entry, sliding rear window, etc., which I don't want or need.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #1363
jvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
jvswaim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewtopia View Post
Your posts are great and have been really helpful. I have had my truck (same as yours) for about a year and I just took it on some trails and to the beach. Seems like every question I had you had a post for it. It had just rained and I wasn't sure how deep I could go through puddles. Saw your mod. Thought it odd that A-Trac was not on in H2 and thought I was looking at it the wrong way. Was nice to hear someone else think the same. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Here is my girl's first trip to the beach.

I second that - without all these discussions/explanations, I wouldn't have a clue about how TRAC, A_TRAC, elocker, Auto LSD, VSC, etc. actually function.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #1364
prerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
prerunner11's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing that could make this thread even better would be video's of situations using all the modes...from 2WD standard through 4LOW.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #1365
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner11 View Post
The only thing that could make this thread even better would be video's of situations using all the modes...from 2WD standard through 4LOW.
Hey, that's a good idea. I have never made a You Tube video. Something I will try.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #1366
CAPTKEN1 is on a distinguished road
Name: KEN
CAPTKEN1's Tacoma Gallery
QUESTION

I HAVE A QUESTION. IF THE DIFFERENTIALS ARE BOTH OPEN WHICH I UNDERSTAND MEANS JUST ONE WHEEL SPINS. THAN HOW DOES THE ATRAC OR TRAC MAKE BOTH WHEELS SPIN. WOULDNT THEY HAVE TO BE LSD NOT OPEN. THANKS
Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #1367
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTKEN1 View Post
I HAVE A QUESTION. IF THE DIFFERENTIALS ARE BOTH OPEN WHICH I UNDERSTAND MEANS JUST ONE WHEEL SPINS. THAN HOW DOES THE ATRAC OR TRAC MAKE BOTH WHEELS SPIN. WOULDNT THEY HAVE TO BE LSD NOT OPEN. THANKS
Brake modulation. The brake is applied to the tire that looses traction, thus sending it to the tire that is not spinning.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #1368
CAPTKEN1 is on a distinguished road
Name: KEN
CAPTKEN1's Tacoma Gallery
ONE TIRE OR TWO

SO DOES THAT MEAN ONLY ONE TIRE SPINS OR BOTH.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #1369
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I answered KEN in a PM he sent me, before I saw this... Let me just modify Anthony's answer that A-TRAC matches tire rotation by slowing the non traction tire spin with the brakes (on that tire) so both tires rotate the same and split the power. It is more like an 'auto-locker'. A-TRAC only works when it is needed so steering isn't hindered as it is when lockers are used.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #1370

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Ken uses caps as it is easier for him to read, he is not yelling. He explained that to me in another PM follow up on the spin question.

For anyone else: Instead of gears in the differential or clutch pads in the differential, the ABS brake system is what slows or stops a spinning tire with TRAC and A-TRAC... applying brake pressure just to the spinning tire(s) to transfer power to the non-spinning tire(s) to keep you moving.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #1371
WhereNoManCanGo is on a distinguished road
WhereNoManCanGo's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! I have one small question. I have a 2012 TRD sport and was out offroading last weekend trying it out, Amazing what it will do bone stock. I see you mention the A-Trac button. I dont seem to have that one. I have the VSC button though. Your post cleared up a lot of questions with that little sucker but also reading in the mods section about the Locker mod using a relay. Without the A-trac do i have the capability for that mod in my 2012?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #1372
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereNoManCanGo View Post
Great write up! I have one small question. I have a 2012 TRD sport and was out offroading last weekend trying it out, Amazing what it will do bone stock. I see you mention the A-Trac button. I dont seem to have that one. I have the VSC button though. Your post cleared up a lot of questions with that little sucker but also reading in the mods section about the Locker mod using a relay. Without the A-trac do i have the capability for that mod in my 2012?
ATRAC is only on 09+ TRD offroad models, not sports
Old 09-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #1373

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
ATRAC is only on 09+ TRD offroad models, not sports
THIS... as well as the rear locking differential. Two major traction systems only on the OFF ROAD TRD 4WD.

Actually there was some A-TRAC before 2009 on Off Road Tacomas, but only on special order.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #1374
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
For all of those that think Traction control is better than having lockers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2wkW05Pc6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFacsKnswM

Yes... I have ARB Air lockers front and rear. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #1375
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Old 09-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #1378

David K's Tacoma Gallery
This is about the system that comes with the Tacoma. If money is no object and you are into rock crawling... get the lockers!

A-TRAC comes on the truck and is covered by Toyota warrantee... and it is amazing the additional traction it provides without spending another dime after the huge cost of this truck!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #1379
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
This is about the system that comes with the Tacoma. If money is no object and you are into rock crawling... get the lockers!

A-TRAC comes on the truck and is covered by Toyota warrantee... and it is amazing the additional traction it provides without spending another dime after the huge cost of this truck!
don't be intimidated...I am a huge fan of A-TRAC. It is the only reason I have not gotten a front locker. Although, I am extremely motivated to buy one.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #1380
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
don't be intimidated...I am a huge fan of A-TRAC. It is the only reason I have not gotten a front locker. Although, I am extremely motivated to buy one.
Get one. You'll never look back. Like iPhone owners that buy droids