1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-TRAC/TRAC/AUTO LSD Explained (Easy to understand, I hope!)

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by David K, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Sep 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    mk7

mk7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 TRD Off Road
    It's about 200 miles to Padre Island, the beach is 60 miles long with one way in/out, so it will be a 120 miles on the sand if I do the whole thing. I plan on camping along the way with my wife and dogs. I just bought some Oasis Trailhead deflators and I have a 1 gallon compressor that I can plug into the bed outlet, I need to test to make sure I can power it. Got a radar detector for the trip down and I need to get a good puncture repair kit.

2. Sep 10, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    RiffRaff

RiffRaff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    New England
    Seeking some additional advice from the experts and the experienced. I am deciding between the TRD Sport & OR four door.

Primary driving is on the snowy highways and by-ways of New England. From what I can tell from reading the various posts, it seems like the OR package might be overkill for my primary needs. Any thoughts would be welcome. I am looking to buy within the new week or so while there are still some 2011's sitting around the lots looking for a good home.

My off road driving has been largely unintentional and unplanned, usually involving blizzards, a lack of traction, and the quick introduction to median strip of the local highways. I have read through all of the posts on this thread and most of the references are sand, mud, and bogs. While I would love to experience those adventures, my goal is to be able to drive a safely as possible in the deep snow of a New England Noreaster. I have a job which requires me to make it to work regardless of the weather and, in fact, even more so when it gets ugly out. I also like to be able to help those who get stranded in the snow and slush when possible. ( I have a lot of bad karma to make up for in my life so I try to do what I can to help anyone I can).

Please forgive any newbie mistakes .....

3. Sep 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    As long as it is 4x4 , SR5 , Sport or Offroad will suit your snow driving needs .

Not sure if it matters in your situation , but another factor is bed length , the DC Offroad is available in the shortbed only , as that is more suited to the trails . SR5 and Sport are available in the longbox .

4. Sep 10, 2011 at 11:21 PM
    David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Nice answer...

How I would decide... for the money, what do want your truck to do or look like?

If it is more for looks, and you like the Sport styling (hood scoop, color matched trim and bumpers), then the Sport TRD.
    If it more for ability off highway, without spending more after the purchase, then the Off Road TRD (rear locking differential, Active Traction Control, stronger limited slip (hydraulic brake booster).

If neither of the above, then the base, SR-5, or Limited.

5. Sep 10, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Or you could read the guys' question
    , he said he doesn't offroad and is only concerned with getting around in the snow

6. Sep 10, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

I answer questions for more than just one person... this is the Internet, and he isn't the only one reading and learning here. If he is going to spend over 30,000 dollars then maybe he would rather have that money going to something that actually helps the truck get through tough areas (if he or future owners need that)... If he just wants that kind of money to go for color trim and fake hood scoops, then the Sport is perfect.

However, if he wants to spen much less, but still have a great truck the SR-5 or base will be fine as a 4WD... All new Tacomas have TRAC and AUTO LSD, afterall.

7. Sep 10, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Actually " he " said he doesn't ever offroad and is only concerned with getting around in snow , a condition where ATRAC and locker won't give you any advantage at all .

I suggested any of the three configurations as long as it was 4x4

You countered with

" nice answer ......"

And copy / pasted your TRD Offroad is greater than fake hoodscoop speech .

8. Sep 10, 2011 at 11:48 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Everyone's fiesty tonight

9. Sep 10, 2011 at 11:52 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I thought they read and spoke English in Canada, eh? I didn't copy or paste anything... I just typed the basic facts of the options... It is my thread, afterall... okay amigo?

GreenheadKiller likes this.
  10. Sep 10, 2011 at 11:53 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

11. Sep 10, 2011 at 11:55 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    :thumbsup: back at you!

12. Sep 11, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    alexander323bc

alexander323bc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    My truck is just the 2011 4cylinder and with a good pair of tires it works just fine. Honestly in my opinion tires make all the difference. You can have the best electronics in the world but if your tires cant grip its useless. I am in buffalo and we get the lake effect snow with all the ice! I suck up the 700 bucks every 2 years and just get a set of good snow tires they last 2 seasons and as long as its cold out the roads don't tear them up too much. This is just my experience and opinion

13. Sep 11, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    RiffRaff

RiffRaff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    New England
    Thank you all for the feedback.

I have been reading through a lot of the different threads to try to avoid asking what has already been answered.

I have to say that after seeing some of the mods done and the videos I now feel like I should order a pair of man panties for myself to go with the new truck. I think I might not be worthy of a Taco and would be disappointing the truck if I did not let it get out play in the mud every one in a while. I am blown away by places you folks get into (and more impressively, out of) with your Tacomas. There are some serious skills out there.

I will continue to read and learn from those of you who have really learned how to push it to the limit and then translate that to the very basic skills I need to keep myself moving in the right direction.

14. Sep 11, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    @RiffRaff

Seriously , you'll be fine with any of the 3 models in 4x4 for your snow concerns

15. Sep 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
  16. Sep 12, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    In general I would stay out of the TRD Offroad. Rear diff tends to implode on them and New England dealerships make very hard to get them replaced on warranty.

Electronic traction that comes with TRD Offroad is worth $hit in our environment and you will find yourself often shutting it off.
    personally I dont care for the looks so I would not go with the Sport either but if you like color matched items then take Sport and install rear locker for $300.

17. Sep 12, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    i agree... ATRAC is kinda nice and ive seen it do great things in a friends FJ. The FJ with ATRAC and rear locker goes better than my truck with rear locker and TRAC up front. Not much better...and may be from tire size. But the 8.4 sees way fewer failures than the trd offroad.

This thread is an educational thread and your and my comments will start a pissing contest for sure.

Maybe we should start a thread (dont buy a TRD offroad if you plan on real offroading)

18. Sep 12, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Now, now... I am on my third Off Road 4WD Tacoma with combined mileage of 268,000 miles and I never had a differential failure or repair.

19. Sep 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    FJ is more weight balanced so there is more force on rear axle where locker is. Carry more spare parts on the back [​IMG] problem solved.

:stirthepot: If we started new thread then people would flame us :D. Its an opinion and personal preference. I understand some have good reasons to buy/lease TRD Offroad. I have none.

ATRAC wise
    This is what I have said all along. Pretty much everywhere you go in NE it is slick (snow/Ice/mud and moss on rocks). Almost always whats needed is 3 - 4 wheel steady spin. A-TRAC/TRAC seems to make bad slippery situations even worst, especially on the climb. This had been known since the days of first LC's with traction control.
    lets face it. Toyota is selling California only trucks (lack of paint and rust protection, plastic cages in wheel bearings and traction system that works best on dry surface) :eek:

20. Sep 12, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    yes i understand. but thats not what this thread is about...

Products Discussed in

To Top